12 replies to this topic

#1 Craftimax

Craftimax

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

I am totally, completely new to the digital scrapbooking. I am considering purchasing Elements 11 as I was told that would be good to use, however, I have no idea what are brushes, how are they used or what is the purpose and is it something I need?
No matter what is happening,God is still on the throne.

#2 MariJ

MariJ

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Welcoming Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

HI and welcome to ScrapGIrls, I'm glad you found us and can't wait to see your creations.
Here is a ScrapGirls Tutorial about brushes --
"What Are Brushes?"
I hope that is helpful, there are various tutorials under the "University" tab to help get you started and free ebooks in the Boutique including this great ScrapSimple Handbook to get you started.
ScarapSImple Handbook
You can also sign up for the ScrapGirls' Newsletter from the Homepage and there's a freebie in each edition!

Brushes are great to have for digital scrapping and you can use them as "stamps" or in many other ways such as erasing or painting, etc.
ScrapGirls has a great selection in the Boutique and there's currently a sale!

Good luck and hope to see you around the Forum. Feel free to ask questions, you'll find we are a friendly and helpful bunch. :)

gallery_19549_358_19841.png
BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif     Button_Welcome.png    Button_Published.png WT-Button-copy.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#3 KariK

KariK

Scrapper Next Door

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Welcome Craftimax!

Please do purchase a copy of Photoshop Elements. You will come to find that you love it for digital scrapbooking. Just like traditional scrapbook supplies, brushes will be a part of almost every layout you make. As MariJ said, they are good for so many things. I would suggest you play around with the software first, make anything just to learn how it works. Once you start to feel comfortable, then learn a new feature...such as brushes. There are many great resources on this site and lots of people willing to help you as you learn.

Have fun!

Kari

#4 teecee

teecee

• TOU Administrator
  • 19,892 posts
  • Personal Statement:Miracles happen to those who believe in them.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Marilyn (MariJ) and Kari have given you some good advice about brushes. You'll find that PSE comes with several great default brushes already installed that you'll be able to experiment with. Also, you may want to consider purchasing Mastering Brushes for Photoshop Elements. It's an EXCELLENT ebook with lots of great information about brushes. Also, if you use the current sale coupon, (good through 5-27-13), you would get it at a substantial savings.

You may also want to browse the various brush categories in the boutique for ideas about brushes and how they are used:
Brushes
Dynamic Brushes
Layer Your Own Brushes

#5 tinkerbell11

tinkerbell11

Collector of shoes, wearer of FLIP FLOPS

• Creative Team
  • 12,399 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

Brushes are a fantastic way to add dimension and depth to your pages! The ebooks and other resources everyone mentioned are a great way to get started with brushes!

gallery_10753_358_55511.png
Button_Welcome.pngSG_BB_LoveThis.pngButton_Published.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#6 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 30,033 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

Marilyn (MariJ) and Kari have given you some good advice about brushes. You'll find that PSE comes with several great default brushes already installed that you'll be able to experiment with. Also, you may want to consider purchasing Mastering Brushes for Photoshop Elements. It's an EXCELLENT ebook with lots of great information about brushes. Also, if you use the current sale coupon, (good through 5-27-13), you would get it at a substantial savings. You may also want to browse the various brush categories in the boutique for ideas about brushes and how they are used:BrushesDynamic BrushesLayer Your Own Brushes

I second the recommendation to buy the Mastering Brushes EBook. I learned so much! And there is a sale right now!

#7 tiza126

tiza126

SG Shopaholic

• Welcoming Committee
  • 16,852 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

All the ebooks mentioned above are full of great instructions and tips!! Have fun learning PSE11!

gallery_14425_66_82034.png

Button_Welcome.png~ SGblinkie.gif ~ BLINKIES_Huckleberry.gif ~ BLINKIES_BoutiqueBabe.gif ~ SG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#8 Jan Walker

Jan Walker

• Creative Team
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

Hi Craftimax!
Welcome to the wonderful (and habit-forming) world of digiscrapping... :)

Brushes are loads of fun and very useful in digital scrapbooking. You can use them just like regular brushes, and paint "strokes" on your projects, or you can use them as you would a stamp, for individual accents.

As you consider purchasing Photoshop Elements 11, remember that you can try it free for 30 days. Just go to Adobe.com, locate the Photoshop Elements 11 product page and click the Try button. That way, you can play around with it for awhile before you purchase.

I love collecting and using brushes. I have hundreds and hundreds of them. And it's easy to make your own as well, once you become familiar with Elements.

Looks like you're getting some great advice in this thread for getting started. Have fun learning! And don't be shy about asking questions. We're here to help! :)

#9 Craftimax

Craftimax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:11 AM

Thanks to all of you for your direction.
No matter what is happening,God is still on the throne.

#10 LaLo1103

LaLo1103

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Design Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Another poor soul that no doubt will develop a brush addiction!
I've given up hope that I'll ever kick the habit - brushes are my favorite thing in digital scrapping!!!

SG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifSignatureSmv2.jpgButton_Designer.png
StayNeutral150_zpsb56b2cfe.jpgLLO_TwilightTrickery_ColBig_MKTG_150.jpgLLO_BoyJoy_ColBig_MKTG_150.jpg

#11 mhm45

mhm45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

I have PSE 11 and will be upgrading to PSE 12. I am having difficulty with loading and saving brushes.

I can load the brushes but then they go away once I have left that project. Do I have to load brushes every time I use a set or can I save them in the brushes menu?

#12 KFiasco

KFiasco

• Members
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

I have PSE12 and loading my extras is extremely easy.  I don't know why yours are not staying in the folder.  Are you putting them in your brushes folder inside your presets folder inside your Elements folder?

Karen

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 teecee

teecee

• TOU Administrator
  • 19,892 posts
  • Personal Statement:Miracles happen to those who believe in them.

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

I have PSE 11 and will be upgrading to PSE 12. I am having difficulty with loading and saving brushes.

I can load the brushes but then they go away once I have left that project. Do I have to load brushes every time I use a set or can I save them in the brushes menu?

The reason they are going away is probably because you are loading them and not installing them. When you load a brush it will only stay in the brush palette temporarily. Here is some information from an older post that may be helpful to you:

To install brushes (.abr) files: With PSE 11 closed, Go to where you have your .abr files on your computer, right click on the .abr file you want to install, and choose Copy 
(If you want to install more than one at a time, hover over each icon, click in the little box at the top left of the icon to highlight/select it, then repeat for the other one(s) you want to install. Don't click anyplace else or you will de-select the one(s) you have already highlighted. With the ones you have chosen to install highlighted, right click on one of them and choose Copy.) 
Next, go to (C:)>Program Files(x86)>Adobe>Photoshop Elements 11>Presets>Brushes. Right click in the window and choose Paste. Now when you open PSE 11, the files should be there and ready to use.

NOTE: One other thing you may want to remember is you can also Load a brush if you only want to use it temporarily. If you load a brush, it will only stay in the brushes palette temporarily. If you install a brush into the presets folder it will stay in the brushes palette.
To load a brush, click on the brush preset picker and click on the little icon at the top right (a tiny down arrow next to 4 tiny lines) to open a flyout menu. Choose Load Brushes. Navigate to the .abr file you want, select it and click Load
I normally only install the the ones I know I'm going to use quite often and I also install dynamic brushes. I usually just load other brushes as I need them or sometimes even use the png files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users