It's Time To Re-June-Venate

ValerieT

IT'S BACK! It's time to re-JUNE-venate your focus on scrapbooking! This is a game and challenge that focuses on taking time to scrapbook regularly despite the little "speedbumps" of life. When the month is over you'll have completed several layouts and been treated to some fun along the way.

A Welcoming Committee Member will post a task each Monday through Saturday from June 1-29. The tasks will be formatted in a LARGE PURPLE FONT for ease of locating them in the game thread as it grows. Some tasks will require message board participation or gallery posting. Read each daily task carefully to see what is required of you.

Those who complete all the required tasks and post required participation by 11:59 pm ET June 30th will be entered in a drawing to win one of three $10 Gift Certificates to the Scrap Girls Boutique! Those who complete all the layouts will be entered in a drawing to win one of two $5 gift certificates. Each person who completes a layout will be entered – once for each completed challenge page - into a drawing for one of three $3 gift certificates.

A few tips to making this month a successful one!

• Stay on top of the daily tasks. Don't get more than a day or two behind if you can help it!
  • Read the "task requirement" listed with each task so you know how to get credit for completing the task.
  • When you post a task requirement to this thread always remember to label it with "TASK #..." so you get credit for the correct task.

Have fun!

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TASK 1: Are your scrapbooking supplies unzipped and organised? Spend some time organising your digital scrapbooking supplies.

Requirement: Post to this thread sharing your basic organisational method with us.

TASK ONE

I have just spent a week organizing my stash. I have decided to go the PSE Organizer route. I have put all my stash into the organizer, one file at a time so that I was not overwhelmed by thousands and thousands of items. I have got them sorted as follows. Previews, Fonts, Text Paths, Tutorials and Freebies. Then I have a section called Bits and Bobs, (borrowed from Ro) subdivided into Angels,Arrows,Banners,flags and balloons, Buttons, Baubles and Brads,Christmas, Clips and all wire products,Clocks and compasses, Clusters, Fauna (more divisions), flora (divided into colors etc), Food, and all containers, Furniture, Lace and Borders, Lights and candles,Ribbon, School, Pens, Books, and Envelopes, Seasons, Shapes, Speech Bubbles, Stitches, String and Swirls, Travel.

Then Brush PNG.s, Calendars,

Collections; All kept together under ABR,AFT BMU etc. What I do is mark with the stars to show favorites.

Frames, Grunge, Layouts, Papers sorted into colors etc. Sketches, Tags and Labels, Templates and Masks and last Word Art sorted as well.

That's why I have been missing in action all week. Still have a little bit to go and then on to my 14000 photos.

Task #1 I have unzipped & organised all my Scrapping products. My system is, I keep a file of Collections then try to break them up into Ribbons Paper ( In separate colours) Flowers Word Art Fonts Quick pages etc etc. I have files for every kind of embellishment etc The freebies I sort under each type. Everything goes on an EHD then I back up to another EHD. Seems to work for me.

I'm scared to even think to begin this challenge as not sure how I can accomplish it but I keep telling myself I need to stretch myself more. Will do the best I can. Kay

Task #1 I have unzipped & organised all my Scrapping products. My system is, I keep a file of Collections then try to break them up into Ribbons Paper ( In separate colours) Flowers Word Art Fonts Quick pages etc etc. I have files for every kind of embellishment etc The freebies I sort under each type. Everything goes on an EHD then I back up to another EHD. Seems to work for me.

I'm scared to even think to begin this challenge as not sure how I can accomplish it but I keep telling myself I need to stretch myself more. Will do the best I can. Kay

This is meant to be fun Kay, just do what you can.

I've written all the tasks and there is nothing really hard in it, but if you need help just ask.

Oooooooh, I never do well with re-june-venate - I might give it a try but I always fizzle out in the middle. Let me stew on this for awhile this morning.

TASK #1

Except for today's monthly club (which I'll work on in a few minutes) I'm up to date on organizing my supplies. I trust the designers' artistic sensibilities more than my own, so I keep things together by collection. Each collection is unzipped in its own folder and subfolders for paper, embellishments, layouts/pages, word art, alphabets, etc. Then I index it all by color, key words, and anticipated uses in MS Office OneNote. Each OneNote entry has a link to my supplies on the disk and to the web page where they are sold from, as well as the marketing picture and any other images I think may be inspirational when I'm starting a layout. All the files are backed up with Carbonite, which works great because sometimes I decide to use some of them for a project at work, and I can then download it to there from the cloud.

I think Win7 has worked out well for me. I am not the best organizer, so I stopped sorting my collections because I can just type "ribbon" or "yellow ribbon" in the search box and it will find all the ribbons for me.

I have a main Scrap Girls Supplies folder with subfolders for Collections, ScrapSimple paper, ScrapSimple Embellishments, Actions, Styles, Brushes, and Fonts. The freebies are "loose" in the "Collections" folder.

I Know I can't win and I know what the tasks are each day, but I love this game so much I'm going to join in too.

Task 1: I don't split my collections up I keep them all together sorted by designer. I then have folders for my scrap simple bits, one for paper, embellishments, brushes, styles, etc. I don't download many freebies but when I do they go with the collection they coordinate with.

TASK #1 - Done

I use Picasa, which I love, so organizing is easy. I keep collections in a collection folder, filed by designer, but I keep the monthly clubs separate for a while before putting them into the collection folder. Other items are filed in categories such as Embellishments, Paper, Word Art, Brushes. I have a back-up copy of my scrapbooking supplies on an EHD, and also use Carbonite. Picasa makes it so easy to find anything I want when I need it.

I love Re-June-Venate. I just don't think that I can do the whole month, as I'm not supposed to be on the computer for extended periods of time. My carpal tunnel has been acting up, again. But I'll give it a try and see how far I get.

OK, I'm going to take a stab at this. I always say I'm going to do it, but then I don't. So, here goes.....

TASK #1 - Done

I have been working on this for awhile now. I tried Picasa but didn't like it (sorry princessrunningfingers). Like Belle, I decided to use the PSE Organizer and so far, I really like it. I like that you don't have to "copy" them into more than one folder (for instance, if you have a collection and you want to keep it in your collection folder, but then you also want to divide all the different components into separate folders). Instead, you just "tag" each item with as many tags as you want.

My categories are Solid Paper and Patterned Paper (each one also tagged by color); Embellishments; Seasons; Themes; Sports; Brush Pngs; Masks; Type Paths; Alphas; Overlays-Transparencies.

In my Embellishment category, I have the following key word tags: arrows; balloons; beads-berries; borders; brackets; brads-fasteners-clips-staples; bubbles-spheres; butterflies-dragonflies; buttons; chalk-chalkboards; clusters; danglies; disguises; doilies; fences-mats; figures; fireworks; flairs; flowers-pinwheels; food; frames; glitter-sequins-jewels; hearts; leaves-vines-grass; mats; miscellaneous; negatives-photo booths; photo corners; pockets; ribbons-bows-lace; rubberbands; sky-clouds-sun-moon; smoke-spotlight; snowflakes; stars-bursts-glitter; stitching; string-rope-twine; swirls-scatters-splatters; tags-banners-pennants-flags; tape; word art.

I haven't done many layouts yet, but I think this organization will help me want to scrap more and will make it a lot easier to find things. Now to just figure out how all these Scrap Girls create all those amazing layouts they have uploaded to the Gallery! I think I have a ton of learning in my future!

I love this game! I just finished downloading the goodies I bought in the jubilation sale so will spend some time unzipping and organizing this week-end. I use PSE Organizer to keep my stuff organized and love it. I know some think the tagging would be very time consuming, but it doesn't seem to me that it is any more time consuming than copying files from one place to another would be. Whatever works!!

Well, I can't win either, but I'm really feeling overwhelmed. I know I get that way when my organization is falling apart, so Re-June-Venate is just what I need. :D

Task #1:I'm working on downloading the club at the moment. Then I have 190 files in my download folder (not all of them are scrapbooking related, but most of them) to put away.

It sounds like I'm like a lot of you. I don't break up my collections, I rely on tags. I just tag in Picasa instead of Organizer. I'm glad several of you posted your tagging system, though. My tags have been very haphazard and I'd like to work on cleaning things up a bit.

Task One completed. Finished organizing the June Club, which is beautiful. Everything else is organized in their files. I use the following method for organizing. I make one main file 'Story Of My Life' and then under that I create multiple files for each item: Papers, Alphas, Word Art, Nano Collection, JIFFY Album, JIF Plus, etc.

Task 1- organization done.

Usually I unzip, move most of the collection into the main file which is named such as BMU_Blendability. I copy all collections to a DVD, then to two EHD's, in alphabetical order. I also keep a copy of the newest things I've bought on my desktop for awhile to use. I keep my collections together, but have a "Favorites" file that has folders for copies of fasteners, lace, flowers, mats, masks, and other categories. These are things I use often. I keep a separate file for Brushes, and a separate file for all styles, actions, etc. I keep all SG products in a folder named Scrapbooking, and other supplies in other named folders. I have folders for marketing images, LO's to Do (this has folders for separate LO's with photos and needed supplies.) and finished LO'. Most of this is on EHD's except the newest.

I use Picasso, but don't tag, to look through my supplies on my desktop and on my EHD's, but when doing layouts, I usually make a folder with the photos I'll use, and some of the supplies I will use. These are copies, so I can delete after the LO is done.

As soon as I download new items, I do all of this in the next day or so.

When I move over to the Mac, it's possible some of this will change, but not much.B)/>/>

I usually make it through one layout and give up. it's fun but sometimes stressful. I'll try to stay with it longer this year, but have company and trips planned from now on for a few months.:rolleyes:/>

TASK 1:

Basically I have my supplies divided by Scrapgirls, Disney and everything else. Then kits, and elements. I tag them using Elements Organizer so that I can find what I want quickly. I also back up to Crash plan now to keep them safe.

Task #1

I have folders for collections, styles, actions, templates and a separate folder for commercial license products, broken down similarly. I worked on organizing some this morning, but I will never get it all as organized as I want. All of my purchases go to my downloads folder, and are automatically unzipped, so I try to get them put away out of my downloads folder within a week, before the next new products day.

Ohh, this is what I need to get me scrapping again. I wrote a post on my blog last month celebrating finishing all my pages for January and realised that half of them were from challenges here. As I haven't even started on February's layouts yet this should get me moving.

Task 1

I unzip and file the items by type and then site e.g. Paper/scrap girls. I then use PSE organiser to search for them (I also tried Picasa but couldn't do the tagging the way I wanted, although I'm not as good as I'd like at applying tags). I aim to do some downloading or unzipping once a week to keep on top of the files.

I've had a problem with space on my laptop this week; I got down to 35Mb free space. I spent time over the weekend freeing up space and discovered I'm only doing half my process. I unzip to a temporary folder on my desktop and if I've bought the item I move the zip file to a purchased folder. When I have my EHD connected I file the unzipped items as I mention above and move the zip file to a temporary folder with the intention when I have enough for a DVD I can create a backup. I've moved all the Scrap Girls items to the EHD today and freed up 22Gb on my laptop!! I must be more organised in future.

Task #1

The system I have for filing my supplies is very close to that which Ro describes in the SG University tutorial. I divide all my collections into papers, embellishments etc and sub-divide embellishments into flowers, frames etc. I have added to Ro's titles over time.

I have a folder for my new downloads which I empty once everything is unzipped. I find that keeping the marketing sheets is helpful as these give me inspiration.

My EHD has a copy of my "sorted" supplies. I try to back-up my supplies at the same time as I backup my photographs - about once a month.

Task 1 - I do my best to unzip files as I get them. I put them in folders according to what they are (paper, embellishments, etc).

Task 2 - I have a couple of photos of myself I haven't scrapped yet, I will narrow it down as I see what else we are doing. :)

Just to clarify; If you are like me, and I suspect most of you are, and only have a few photos of yourself, you can use one you have scrapped before. We don't mind.

Thanks, Valerie! I am playing along too, this sound like lots of fun!

My Mac automatically unzips my files and throws the zip in the trash. Saves me a lot of trouble. My Scrapbook materials are stored in my "Documents" area in a folder named "Scrapbook" and then into individual folders according to purchases. I keep everything that comes together, together. And file the freebies on their own unless it is part of a collection I have.

I also in the beginning of my digital scrapping career :D started to keep a document with the marketing image of each product I buy added which I update and print as I find it much easier to browse through a book I can hold in my hand!

I DO need to back-up on my EHD, it's a little overdue!

Now, off to find a photo for Task 2! :)

Yippee!! I love Re-June-venate! I'm already a day behind (I'd be 2 days behind, but, thank goodness for Sunday! :D ) I'm not eligible for prizes but will give it a try anyway.

Here goes: Everything unzipped and organized. I use PSE Organizer and love it, though I suspect Scrapgram and I are its only users, LOL. I back things up once or twice a month and just did it last week, so I'm pretty much up to date. Check

Found a photo of me. I don't love it, but I think it will work. Check.

Archived