Congratulations Jo (Jhbren)!

CRS

Member of the Month: June 2013

Congratulations Jo (jhbren)! Jo was chosen by the Scrap Girls Team as the Member of the Month for June 2013! Jo will receive a $10 gift certificate to the Scrap Girls Boutique and has the honor of wearing the Member of the Month blinkie!

Jo has been a member of Scrap Girls since April 2006 and has been a huge asset! You can find her Leaving Love in the Gallery, completing challenges and giving helpful advice in the Forums. Thank you so much for making Scrap Girls the fun and friendly purple place that it is!

When you have some time Jo, please tell us a little about yourself and share a link to your favorite layout! Thank you for making Scrap Girls a wonderful, friendly place! Congratulations!!

Thank you so much to the Scrap Girls team for choosing me as a member of the month, and many thanks to all who have sent congratulations! This was a totally unexpected, but wonderful, way to start a new month.

I was a paper scrapper for several years before I discovered the digital possibilities. The impetus was an add in a magazine, (McCalls crafts, I think) showing a layout of a baby page. My first grandchild was due in a few months, and I decided I had to try this. And I was hooked! My first digital “scrapbook” was actually a Power Point presentation – well, several linked presentations – of a trip with my sisters in 2001. When I finished that I decided to create a heritage album, using all the photos and documentation my aunt had collected during her life. And I knew I’d need at least two copies, and that there would be lots of pages, so creating it the traditional way was not likely to be completed in my lifetime. I had PSE 3 by then and a scanner, so I began. Six years, 100+ pages, and 15 printed albums later, the project was done. Along the way I searched online for digital scrapping sites, and found some, but they were cumbersome to use. And then I found Scrap Girls advertised in a magazine – Creating Keepsakes, I think – checked it out, and never looked back. I taught biology and related sciences for twenty years, but at the end of the 2005 school year I retired, partly because I just couldn’t face the prospect of another year grading science fair projects, but mostly to have time to play at scrapbooking. Retirement also makes it possible for us to travel in months other than July, and to take longer trips – DH just has to get all those bird photos! Our 48th anniversary is this month; as Dave would say, we’ve been married forever.

The many aspects of Scrap Girls I appreciate are its ease of use, mostly a factor of organization, I think; the wonderful quality and variety of products offered; the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff AND members. I was amazed once to receive a response to a question from Brandy Murry – in Amsterdam – in less than 30 minutes! Incredible service! The tutorials are outstanding – well written and illustrated, and always introducing new techniques. I also love the inspiration provided by layouts in the gallery, again, from members as well as designers. I think I spend more time browsing and saving favorites than I do scrapping.

Of all the layouts I’ve made, I think the two page spread about my maternal grandmother, Letters from Helen, is the one I cherish most. I never knew her, as the page explains, except through a few pictures and some letters. These will be part of a heritage album for my mother’s side of the family.

Again, thank you for this honor. I truly appreciate it.

Jo

Archived