Custom Vinyl Art Using The Silhouette

SodScrap

Ok Ladies, I need your help/comments/thoughts/advice...you get the idea!!

I want to use my silhouette to cut vinyl to make some sayings for my walls. Have you done this? I hope some of you have this and have some pointers for me!! I had some from Upper Case Living that I really like. (Long story short...I never put them up and now they won't "work" because they are old) So, it got me thinking, I can make my own now that I have the Silhouette!

What worked for you?

What didn't?

Is it worth the hassle? I know there are places online (eBay, Etsy, etc) that you can order them, would that be better?

Any resources?

TIA!

If you have a Silhouette, you totally should do it yourself! It's the perfect tool to be able to do it! That being said, I haven't actually done it. :) I have plans to, but with the selling the house, renting for a few months, and now finally trying to get settled in our new house, it just hasn't made it to the top of my list of priorities. But I'm formulating my ideas, so I'll be ready to do it myself as soon as I figure out exactly how! :) I'll be watching this thread to get tips and pointers. I actually just ordered a couple new cutting blades for the Silhouette (1 regular and 1 fabric) since my other blade was starting to get not-so-sharp. I need to get a new cutting mat (or make one) and then I'll be set.

One more tip from someone who hasn't actually done it. :) I'm thinking of doing something small and inconsequential (don't know what yet) before I do the bigger one above my entry. That way, I can test out the process and figure it out and feel more comfortable with it before I get overwhelmed by trying to piece things together and line them up (as I might if I attempt to do a big one first!).

One more tip from someone who hasn't actually done it. :) I'm thinking of doing something small and inconsequential (don't know what yet) before I do the bigger one above my entry. That way, I can test out the process and figure it out and feel more comfortable with it before I get overwhelmed by trying to piece things together and line them up (as I might if I attempt to do a big one first!).

That's a good idea! I think I know what I want them to say...and rough sizes too. I just wonder about using the transfer paper and lining them up. The transfer paper is actually a separate "step" but seems simple. (?????) They would have two layers. (so to speak) The ones you buy from Upper Case Living have registration marks. I would think those would be easy to make also. (just center a mark on each edge)

If you have a Silhouette, you totally should do it yourself! It's the perfect tool to be able to do it! That being said, I haven't actually done it. :)/> I have plans to, but with the selling the house, renting for a few months, and now finally trying to get settled in our new house, it just hasn't made it to the top of my list of priorities. But I'm formulating my ideas, so I'll be ready to do it myself as soon as I figure out exactly how! :)/> I'll be watching this thread to get tips and pointers. I actually just ordered a couple new cutting blades for the Silhouette (1 regular and 1 fabric) since my other blade was starting to get not-so-sharp. I need to get a new cutting mat (or make one) and then I'll be set.

Make your own cutting mat? Do tell!! I heard that you can use a cricut cutting mat with silhouette and it is much less expensive. I would be interested in knowing how to make your own cutting mat.

Make your own cutting mat? Do tell!! I heard that you can use a cricut cutting mat with silhouette and it is much less expensive. I would be interested in knowing how to make your own cutting mat.

Since I have a Silhouette SD, I can't find the size mat that I need readily available. I made one out of quilting template plastic (bought it at Hobby Lobby in the fabric section and cut it to size) and then taped off the edges (you don't want the adhesive all the way to the edges because of the rolling feeders) and then sprayed it with adhesive.

Since I have a Silhouette SD, I can't find the size mat that I need readily available. I made one out of quilting template plastic (bought it at Hobby Lobby in the fabric section and cut it to size) and then taped off the edges (you don't want the adhesive all the way to the edges because of the rolling feeders) and then sprayed it with adhesive.

Interesting!!

Lei and I both have the cameo...but I wondered about "refreshing" my mat with spray adhesive

The vinyl doesn't need a mat from what I have read.

Interesting!!

Lei and I both have the cameo...but I wondered about "refreshing" my mat with spray adhesive

Yes, that is true. You don't need a mat with vinyl. I have ordered vinyl from the Silhouette store and also from Expressions Vinyl (or maybe I just thought about ordering it from them because they had a great selection and good prices? Can't remember right now! LOL!). Besides cutting paper for hybrid crafting, paper crafting and card making and stuff, I have also cut regular vinyl to label containers in my pantry and some iron-on vinyl for clothing decorations. A tool that I don't have, but need to get before I attempt to do anything detailed again is a weeding tool (or come up with an alternate to make one myself). When I cut the vinyl for the pantry canisters, it was a pain and some of the little letters tore because I didn't have a weeding tool.

Interesting!!

Yes, that is true. You don't need a mat with vinyl. I have ordered vinyl from the Silhouette store and also from Expressions Vinyl (or maybe I just thought about ordering it from them because they had a great selection and good prices? Can't remember right now! LOL!). Besides cutting paper for hybrid crafting, paper crafting and card making and stuff, I have also cut regular vinyl to label containers in my pantry and some iron-on vinyl for clothing decorations. A tool that I don't have, but need to get before I attempt to do anything detailed again is a weeding tool (or come up with an alternate to make one myself). When I cut the vinyl for the pantry canisters, it was a pain and some of the little letters tore because I didn't have a weeding tool.

What do you mean by "regular" vinyl? (sorry...I'm a little slow...lol) I could go crazy labeling in my pantry. (and closets and office and laundry room and.....the shop! Wouldn't the guys like cute labels on their things???) They have a "hook" tool for that. I need to get one (and will order w/my vinyl). I tried the heat transfer for t-shirts and was NOT impressed...some of it I couldn't get to stick on the fabric. :( Lot of wasted time!

By "regular" vinyl, I just mean the kind that you use for putting on walls or pantry containers ... not heat transfer or glittery or any of the specialty kind.

Ahhh...got it!

OHMYGOODNESS!!

Cherise, you are going to get me into BIG trouble! ;)/> I see that site you named has patterned vinyl...polka dots...zebra...oh my!

Super fun, right?!?!? :) Can't wait to see what you do with it all!

OHMYGOODNESS!!

Cherise, you are going to get me into BIG trouble! ;) I see that site you named has patterned vinyl...polka dots...zebra...oh my!

Super fun, right?!?!? :) Can't wait to see what you do with it all!

AND...I just followed them on Pinterest!! Very cool things. NOW, I need the time to get them planned and done! I'm at work right now, but for some reason, I'm not getting much done... :disappearing-smilie:

You should post some of your projects!!

Interesting!!

Conda, I have "refreshed" my Cricut cutting mat before with Spray adhesive, just be light with it and do it outside! Works Great!

Wow guys, this make me want a Silhouette even more, better get saving the pennies.

Conda, when you've finished organising Tiza and Cheri, you can come to my place, Ben will "help" you.

I want Conda's services, too! I'm going to look at that website Cherise mentioned and probably get in as much trouble as Conda. I've been thinking about adding some more to my walls now that we've been here a year. I did order the fabric bundle during the last sale, but didn't try the vinyl yet.

I'd love to see finished projects ladies!!

I also just started researching how to do vinyl for wall art. I did buy the vinyl kit, but I haven't had a chance to play with it. I wanted to try a small project before I tackled a wall. So now I need to figure out what kind of "small" project to try it out on!

Does anybody know how easy it is to remove regular contact sheets from a wall? I was also going to follow that suggestion of buying plain black contact paper instead of special vinyl, but I was wondering how tough it would eventually be to remove?

Archived