11 replies to this topic

#1 moving memories

moving memories

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Hi- We are getting a Diabetic Alert Dog (also known as a DAD), for our son in July.We are so excited to be bringing home a life saving companion for our son, and I am hoping to start a blog about life with Nova, our DAD.I also want to start scrapping our son's journey and adventures with his dog right away. I can't find a scrap kit about service dogs or Therapy Dogs anywhere -it should be so easy to create -and must include service vests, patches,(such as "working dog do not pet"), working dog boots, crates, etc. I am hoping that it will be a "serious", beautiful kit with lots of browns and real dog colors along with some brighter accent colors, and definitely should NOT be a cartoon type of kit- Both of the dog kits currently in the collection are too "cutesy" and feminine for this purpose. Our Service dog is a British Lab, but there are a large variety of breeds that are used including Golden doodles, Shepherds and many others. There can also be some agility props thrown in such as fences and tunnels and training devices- this would greatly increase the appeal to lots of dog owners- not just Service Dog owners. Perhaps instead of calling it a Service dog kit it could be called a "working dog" kit so it has a larger market- I would be so grateful for a kit like this! thanks ps I am attaching a current photo of our beautiful Nova- We live in Ohio and he has been in Texas his whole life so we haven't met him yet, but our trainer has been great about sending us photos and updates -lots to scrap already. We will fly out to Texas on July 26th, our son's birthday to meet our puppy, who will be 8 months old at the time, and learn how to work with him. Then we will fly him home.

#2 bjc

bjc

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Good luck with Nova. I did not know about DAD it sure sounds like a wonderful thing. Look forward to seeing your scrap pages
Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image[size="4"]
Visit My GalleryPosted Image

#3 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 29,534 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

What a great idea for a collection. I know that there are lots of agility training dogs as well as "working" dogs. How exciting for your family. I look forward to seeing your layouts!

#4 Bride

Bride

Zippity-Doo-Dah, Zippity-Ay, My oh my it’s a scrappin’ good day

• Creative Team
  • 8,851 posts
  • Personal Statement:Go slow.
    Be God-struck.
    Grant grace.
    Live Truth.
    Give Thanks.
    Become the gift.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Never heard of a DAD, but very familiar with Therapy Dogs International (TDI) as I have trained and tested for both AKC/CGC and TDI. Lots of work, but so rewarding!! Best of luck with Nova!!

#5 MariJ

MariJ

• Welcoming Committee
  • 17,123 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

I agree that is a great idea for a collection. Good luck with your DAD.

gallery_19549_358_19841.png

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif     Button_Welcome.png     WT-Button-copy.gif

#6 moving memories

moving memories

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

Thanks everyone! We are super excited - I hope someone gets inspired and creates a beautiful Dog Kit

#7 tinkerbell11

tinkerbell11

Collector of shoes, wearer of FLIP FLOPS

• Creative Team
  • 12,308 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

Service dogs are such amazing animals! Good luck on your journey!
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 Eliza More

Eliza More
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Never heard of a DAD, but very familiar with Therapy Dogs International as I have trained and tested for both AKC/CGC and TDI. Lots of work, but so rewarding.

#9 SodScrap

SodScrap

SGU Teacher's Pet

• Welcoming Committee
  • 14,509 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

How exciting for you! I find service dogs fascinating! Used to raise Golden Retrievers, and always thought it would be awesome to train for service. (but never have)

gallery_12013_66_17251.gif

ShredButton.pngSG_Olympian.pngButton_Welcome.png
SG-9-Anniversary-SugarNSpice-Blinkie.gifSG-9-Anniversary_Spice-Blinkie.gif

#10 princessrunningfingers

princessrunningfingers

I'll Have You In Stitches In No Time

• Members
  • 17,950 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am an avid stitcher, reader, and of course Scrap Girls Addict.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

I am excited for you; I know you are anxious to meet Nova.

gallery_15063_3635_42373.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG_Olympian.pngBLINKIE_StayCation-Luau.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#11 Jeannie Turner

Jeannie Turner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

There are two service dogs in our family...one is a med alert and the other is a mobility asst.....I have been searching for a kit for service dogs forever. If you have any luck with this, please let me know...and I will do the same. Thank you.

#12 Smiles

Smiles

• Welcoming Committee
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

Hi, Jeannie, and Welcome to Scrap Girls. We'd love it if you'd introduce yourself in the New Member forum - we can all welcome you properly.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users