Pocket Life Questions

I've not done a lot of digital pages--probably less than 100 so far, and I'm still learning tricks and techniques. Just beginning to use templates and clipping masks.

None the less, I have a lot of photos to scrap from a recent sight seeing vacation and I'm intrigued by the "Pocket Life" products. I bought a set of layout templates (JRA_That's Life) and a paper mini (EBA_PocketLifeSpaces) along with some papers and "cards" that coordinated with my photos. I've spent an afternoon experimenting, and I'm somewhat confused.

Question 1, re: the "overlay" layer in the layout template. It appears you need to use this layer in order to get the stitching between the photos. However, I'm disappointed in how it dulls the appearance of the photos. Since I plan to print these pages and put them in an album, I don't want it to look like there are two layers of plastic. Any way to get the stitched pockets without the cloudiness?

Question 2: The "paper mini" seems to be a totally separate way to achieve this look and seems to work far more easily. (Color the paper, size the photo, clip it to the mask, and put it behind the open spaces.) However, no stitching. And it doesn't really look like an album because the photos are behind the background, not on it. Is there a better way to use it?

Question 3: Are there any good tutorials on using the PocketLife product? I reviewed the ScrapSimple Instructions e-book, the Secrets videos and the More Secrets videos and still felt like something that was advertised as fast and easy wasn't really fast or easy.

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

Karen

I don't know which stitching and pocket product you have - there are a few and they are all different, but for the ones I created, I found personally that I really liked the "hard light" blending mode on the plastic layer for a more "clear" look. In case you don't know, you can change the blending modes at the top of the layers palette (the palette itself is in the lower right of your screen in PS/PSE).

HTH and let us know if you still need help on #1.

I'll let others chime in on #2 and 3:)

Hi! Welcome to Scrap Girls!

One question, are you planning to print the individual cards and put them in pocket life page protectors or are you going to print the whole page as one 12x12, or whatever size you've chosen?

Personally, I print the cards individually, so I don't need the overlays and stitching because my page protectors provide that. I have found, on the couple of 12x12 pages I've used pocket products on, that a good quality page protector is pretty clear and doesn't add to the cloudiness.

As for tutorials, I'm not really sure...

I can't answer to the templates - but I'll give you some ideas about the Pocket Life Spaces paper mini.

To make the cards look like they are on top of the paper - put the arranged photos and cards layered under the Pocket Life Spaces Paper. Add a inner shadow style to the Pocket Life Spaces paper. Voila! The Pocket Life Cards and photos instantly have the appearance that they are on top of the paper.

To add stitching between the cards - use a simple stitching brush. It's super easy to get a straight line by holding the shift button down as you run the brush across your layout.

This layout uses both techniques:

EBA_LifeKeeping2_LO1_300.jpg

It's the layout for Pocket Life Spaces Paper Mini

Perhaps you'd like a set of matching stitching overlays that you could drag into your layout?

Hi Karen, I don't know of any tutorials, but that's a great idea! As for the pocket life products. I create a page with mine, print and then put in an album as it sounds like you are doing. So, therefore I don't use the templates that have plastic overlays - or else I'd turn off that layer. Are you able to do that or in turning off the overlay you also turn off the stitching? (which I understand you want to keep).

I use this one - SNU SS Emb Templates: 8.5x11 Pocket Life, but I understand you might want to scrap in 12x12. This one, however does not have the overlay but does have stitching.

There IS a 12x12 Template Set SNU SS Embellishment Templates: Pocket Life 6301 but I'm sorry I can't tell on my small screen if it includes stitching. And yes, in this product also the photos are clipped-to and behind the template, which I happen to like as it sorta mimics a "real" pocket page album where you are slipping the pieces into pockets. But, then again I see your dilemna as you would need the plastic in that case. I always think of it as ---- the photos really ARE behind the borders -- and then the border is "stitched" down! :D

Hope this is a bit helpful. Keep asking and I'm sure others will be around to help. And, welcome!

I can't answer to the templates - but I'll give you some ideas about the Pocket Life Spaces paper mini.

To make the cards look like they are on top of the paper - put the arranged photos and cards layered under the Pocket Life Spaces Paper. Add a inner shadow style to the Pocket Life Spaces paper. Voila! The Pocket Life Cards and photos instantly have the appearance that they are on top of the paper.

To add stitching between the cards - use a simple stitching brush. It's super easy to get a straight line by holding the shift button down as you run the brush across your layout.

This layout uses both techniques:

EBA_LifeKeeping2_LO1_300.jpg

It's the layout for Pocket Life Spaces Paper Mini

Perhaps you'd like a set of matching stitching overlays that you could drag into your layout?

Well, THANKS! Elisha. That is a tip I did not know about -- adding an inner shadow. Cool! :D

Thanks for all of the replies.

Cheri, I tried the hard light blending mode and it helped, but there was still some loss of color and contrast in the photos. I think I'm happiest if I just don't use the overlay.

Elibar, I loved your suggestion too, about the shadows. I worked with some different ones and found some effects I liked.

I guess the solution is to put on my own "stitches" using a stitching brush--something new to learn.

And I would find a stitching brush in the Scrap Simple tools, right?

Hi Karen

I did a search for "stitches" in the boutique and this is what I came up with. Good Luck! :)/>

Stitches

The search doesn't come up for me - I think we all have to do our own search...just put "stitches" in the search window and a bunch of results will pop up! :)

Hi Karen

I did a search for "stitches" in the boutique and this is what I came up with. Good Luck! :)/>

Stitches

The search doesn't come up for me - I think we all have to do our own search...just put "stitches" in the search window and a bunch of results will pop up! :)/>/>

Ohhh.. Sorry and thanks Cheri! I tried the link just in case, but it probably only works for me since I generated it, oops... :(

Hi Karen

I did a search for "stitches" in the boutique and this is what I came up with. Good Luck! :)/>/>

Stitches

The search doesn't come up for me - I think we all have to do our own search...just put "stitches" in the search window and a bunch of results will pop up! :)/>/>/>

Ohhh.. Sorry and thanks Cheri! I tried the link just in case, but it probably only works for me since I generated it, oops... :(/>

It's ok - I think I only know that b/c I tried it once and it didn't work for others:) Live and learn, lol.

Archived