My Life Is Over

Well maybe not completely over but it might as well be. I accidentally knocked my EHD off my work table and I think it hit our cedar chest. Now it doesn't work. I am so angry at myself for being so careless. I just want to curl up and cry. My husband knows a computer guy who was able to salvage our info when our desktop crashed. I just don't if my EHD was damaged beyond being able to retrieve anything. Oh I feel so sick.

Oh, my - what a terrible thing to happen! I can only imagine how awful you must feel and I do hope that someone can salvage your files from your EHD........keep us posted! I think all of us have done something like that at least once! I dropped my laptop and had to have a whole new case put on the laptop - not a good feeling!

Sending you hugs!

Thanks ladies! I have a tiny bit of news to share. After having a little pity party, I decided to snap out of and get ready to go our computer guy. When I was in the shower I remembered that I have a most of my older photos and lots of my digi supplies on cds! I also think most of my current photos are posted on my facebook page, including the ones from my trip to Rome last month. As for my layouts I may have lost all the psd files but I think I at least have either a jpeg copy or a printed copy of just about everything. I guess that's one good thing about be in a creative slump like I have been in for months. Anyway at least I have the photos which you can't replace. Hopefully Sam, our computer guy, can work his magic!!!! (fingers & toes crossed) If he can then I really need to look in to an online backup service!!!

Thanks again for your support!! Will let you know if I get everything back.

Hope everything works out and you get all of your stuff back. I highly recommend an on line backup service. Like you, I was careless with my EHD which had all of my photos since 2004 and many that I had scanned prior to 2004 from previous years all the way back to some of my parents from the 1940s. I kept getting up with my laptop in hand when my EHD was connected and it would fall and pull the USB connection loose. Finally I did it one to many times and the EHD died. I had just signed up for an on line backup service probably 6 weeks or so before my EHD died. When I had to use it, I thought, "This is never going to work" but it did and I got all of my stuff back. What a relief. Ever since I have been very careful with my EHDs, but it is nice to know they are backed up constantly.

Just got back from Sam's, although he's retired. The guy there said they could retrieve all my stuff!!!! It will take about a week and kind of expensive. But I'm so relieved. Still a little sick that it happened and that I have to spend the money. In the meantime, must do research on online back up services. Guess I'll head over to those threads and see what I can learn.

Big Heavy sigh of relief.

oh phew! I was feeling a little ill myself reading your story... I did a massive backup over the weekend of EVERYTHING to EHD and I have disc backups of MOST things... good lesson to share, THANKS!

So glad you will be able to retrieve all your stuff. I know how you felt, my EHD failed last year it was the most horrible feeling. I was saved by my on-line back up DH insisted I had, in the end I only lost a few photos of nothing important.

I've been on the edge of my seat, following your saga, Kelly. So glad you were able to retrieve your files. Even if they were on cd's that would have been a huge job to restore. Sorry about the price, though. I use an online backup and, although I haven't had to use it yet, I'm convinced it's a great idea.

Thanks for the reminder Sara! I was talking to a lady I work with and she told me about a company online that was able to retrieve her files when a local place said they couldn't. She said they told her they had to work in a "dark room". My sister told me something similar. So I may have to look into that. I can't pick up my EHD until next week. I will post an update if anything happens with that.

That has got to be one of the worst feelings and I've been there! I had an EHD just flat out die one day - nothing happened to damage it, it just decided it was time to check out. I was absolutely sick over it! Fortunately, I am married to the computer and he was able to retrieve all the data from it as well. It was such a relief!

Glad to hear you back up and running!!!

Well it's not looking good. My husband picked up my old EHD. They told him once some glass piece is broken there is no hope. I sent an email to Data Doctors to see what they say. But I have resigned to that fact that it's a lost cause. I'm going to send an email to Angie to see what she can do to help with my digi supplies. I have lots of stuff backed up on cds and on Facebook. I also have lots of my youngest DD color guard photos that the band boosters have at shutterfly so I will be doing a lot of downloading the next week or so. I'll have to look through all my cds to try to determine how much I've lost.

I would just like to thank everyone for their support. This Purple Place is truly a wonderful place. Everyone is so caring even to someone who isn't very involved in the forums. I've been wanting to scrap more, but I have been discouraged and frustrated that I haven't been doing more. Right now I'm just trying not let this stop me completely.

If I get any good news from Data Doctors I will let y'all know. Thanks again

Kelly

Well it's not looking good. My husband picked up my old EHD. They told him once some glass piece is broken there is no hope. I sent an email to Data Doctors to see what they say. But I have resigned to that fact that it's a lost cause. I'm going to send an email to Angie to see what she can do to help with my digi supplies. I have lots of stuff backed up on cds and on Facebook. I also have lots of my youngest DD color guard photos that the band boosters have at shutterfly so I will be doing a lot of downloading the next week or so. I'll have to look through all my cds to try to determine how much I've lost.

I would just like to thank everyone for their support. This Purple Place is truly a wonderful place. Everyone is so caring even to someone who isn't very involved in the forums. I've been wanting to scrap more, but I have been discouraged and frustrated that I haven't been doing more. Right now I'm just trying not let this stop me completely.

If I get any good news from Data Doctors I will let y'all know. Thanks again

Kelly

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you - just try and make a list of what you've lost here at SG and Angie is such a wonder at getting your files all together for your to download again - when I had to do it I had soooooooo many files I had to ask her for and honestly, I'm still finding bits and pieces of some collections that I lost and still asking Angie to unlock them for me to re-dowlnload them. She is just awesome and can work magic with problems like this.

Thinking about you and hoping you get this resolved really soon!

So sorry to hear this :( something similar like this happened to my daughter, and she took her EHD to Best Buy and they were able to retrieve it for her.

I know Angie will help you with your Scrap Girl Products so give her a holler. Hopefully Data Dr's will have some good news for you!

Finally able to contact Data Doctors. $149 just for them to look at it. If they can recover anything that amount goes to the final bill. If they can't recover anything I'm out the $149. Since I already spent over $100 at the local place at this time I can't justify spending money for a possibility they might be able to recover something. I'm mostly upset about photos but I what I can remember I have most on cds or on facebook. I know there are some that I probably have lost for good but at that price YIKES!

Let this be a warning for anyone who thinks it won't happen to you or think an EHD is enough - you just never know! Back up, copy, upload and do it again!!!!

Archived