Online Backup Services

Ok Now that I know I am able to have my files retrieved from my dropped EDH (sigh of relief) I have been researching backup services both here on the forum and on the web. It seems like a lot of you use Backblaze. Are you still happy with the company? Has anyone used or heard of MyPCbackup.com? And my last question is what is the basic difference from a backup service and a storage service? Do I need both? After what happened I'm paranoid it could/will happen again or God forbid we have a fire or natural disaster. I have about a week to make this decision so any thoughts, comments, complaints would great be appreciated!!!

Kelly, I was just looking at MyPCbackup.com. I've never heard of it, do you know what the cost is once the trial period expires?

Edited to add:

I looked a little further. This first link looks biased, but the cost for unlimited seems fair to me, and the fact that they can do monthly billing is kinder to my budget than some others.

http://online-data-backup-review.toptenreviews.com/ppc-index.html?cmpid=490602&s_kwcid=TC|17132|mypc%20backup||S|p|17854510357

http://support.mypcbackup.com/question/128/how-much-does-mypc-backup-cost

I'm seriously considering looking into this.

I think Backblaze will back up an EHD, but I've never used them so I'm not sure. I know Carol (lorac) had a bad experience with them.

I used to use Carbonite they were very good but at the time I used them it wouldn't back up an EHD. It might do now, I'm not sure.

I did consider MyPCBackup, but didn't like their tactics. I did a trial, but when I worked out how much it would cost for the amount of stuff I had, decided it wasn't worth it. After I uninstalled the soft ware they bombarded me with emails, offering the service for increasing lower prices. That put me off for good, I hate those sort of tactics.

I now use Livedrive, but I think they are a UK only company, the company DH works for recommended them and the service has been fantastic.

I researched the choices a few years ago and decided to go with Backblaze. I've been happy with them ever since. I've had to restore some files with them and it was easy. Backing up initially takes a long time, but it didn't interfere with the use of my computer and it continues to work so quietly in the background I forget it's there until I come across one of these threads. Then I check to see that it's still running. :)

I also use Smugmug as a backup. It's for sharing and selling photographs but you can upload an unlimited amount of full resolution images so it's great for backing up too. I like having my photos and scrapbook pages backed up in multiple places (I also have two EHDs) for added insurance. Also, I like having both automatic backup -- Backblaze -- and manual back up -- Smugmug -- so if I miss something, Backblaze will catch it, while I have the assurance that things are being backed up because I'm doing it myself as well. It's part of my picture-processing and scrapbooking routines: at the end, I upload them to Smugmug.

I can't remember if my site is in my siggy, so here's the link, if you'd like to check out what a Smugmug site can look like. What you won't see is that I have zillions of unlisted galleries where I upload ALL of my pictures, so they're backed up but not shared with the world. I do let my mom see them though. :)

Good luck with your choice!

Thanks everyone! Also, Flickr has just upgraded their free photo uploads to 1 TB!!!

And I find it irritating that sites charge extra for an EHD. Why? To me, a file is a file no matter where it comes from.

:angry:

I have been using Backblaze for not quite a year now and have had to use it once for a restore. It worked great and I have had no other problems with it. It does backup EHDs and this is included in the price. If you have more than one EHD, you might have to rename one of them, but how to do that is easy to find.

Thought I'd give a quick update. It's a good thing that the trial offer is for two weeks because Backblaze began backing up my files Friday morning, and here it is Tuesday afternoon and it's only half done! LOL

It's working on my EHD now, which is a 1TB drive that is about 2/3 full.

I just wanted to say that I use CrashPlan and have found it to work really well. I like that it will do my EHD along with my computer. I also like that I can download from it directly if i need to recover just 1 folder or what not. It did take forever to upload everything the first time but doesn't take as long to update now.

I agree. I've used Carbonite for years and have had to restore my files twice, once because my motherboard caught on fire and shot flames out of the front of the tower and the second time because I upgraded my system. The files were restored in a matter of a few hours. I also use Carbonite at my business. Love the customer service!

I agree. I've used Carbonite for years and have had to restore my files twice, once because my motherboard caught on fire and shot flames out of the front of the tower and the second time because I upgraded my system. The files were restored in a matter of a few hours. I also use Carbonite at my business. Love the customer service!

EEK!!! I think that would damage me psychologically for a long time!!! :rofl:

My EHD is where all of my photos and scrapping supplies live. I have a lot of it backed up on DVDs, but I will feel lots better once this process is complete.

I started with Carbonite. I think I had to restore twice with them. The first time was fine, the second time was a nightmare. I asked it to do a full restore but found it didn't restore everything so I spent a lot of time figuring out what was missing. I may have been able to save time by just doing another full restore. I switched to Mozy then. I don't think I had to do any restore while I had them but then they changed their pricing structure and it was cost prohibitive for the amount of data I have. I'm now with Backblaze. I did one partial restore and it went well. I'll have to re-up in August, I think, so may re-evaluate my options then.

Still haven't decided which online service to go with yet. Angie was a doll and helped me get almost all of my previous purchases downloaded again. The only ones I couldn't get where ones that have been retired and that wasn't too many. I have also found a lot of nice freebies since I really can't afford to spend too much money in the boutique right now considering what happened with my EHD. Don't have an update on that right now. My husband has been out of town and it seem he's off when I'm working and visa versa. I don't know if he was able to pick up my old ehd from the place I took it. I know he went but I don't know if he got it or not.

I do have a follow up question. What is the difference between online back-up services and places like Shutterfly, Picasa,and Photobucket? I mean I know the obvious difference but I would just like clarification. Also in the past I didn't save the zip files but now that I know better I'm going to be saving them. Can you save them to the online back-up places? What about the photo storage places. I plan to copy them to CDs/DVDs. But after what happened it seems like nothing is safe.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Archived