Monday Challenge 1St July

ValerieT

Happy 1st July, how can it be July already?

This month I thought we would do a mini tour of the UK, using places important to me to draw our inspiration from.

We will start our month in Yorkshire.

Yorkshire is the largest of all the English counties, covering approximately 2,941,247 acres. It is so large it is split into four Ridings (administrative centers), very unimaginatively called North, South, East and West. Yorkshire has a long history all the way back to the Celtic tribes and the Roman invasion. However it was when the Vikings invaded Northern England in 866AD that left the biggest mark on Yorkshire. Many towns retain English versions of their Viking names. The Kingdom of Yorvik lasted for over 100 prosperous years.

The next major point in history starts in 1399 when the relationships between the House of York and the House of Lancaster began to break down, eventually leading to a series of civil wars known commonly as The War of the Roses.

Yorkshire features in many literary works, one of the most famous being Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. It also features in many UK television shows and films, including Last of the Summer Wine, The Full Monty and more recently Downton Abbey.

The one thing I love the most about Yorkshire is the countryside, which includes the North York Moors, the Yorkshire Dales National Park as well as part of the Peak District National Park.

So your challenge this week is to create a layout about the COUNTRYSIDE. It can be from any part of the world, local to you or far away, the choice is yours.

Post your completed layouts in the General Message Board Challenges Gallery and post a link back here so we can all leave you some love.

Join me next week when our tour takes us to Oxford.

LYSL in the Gallery, Valerie - what a beautiful layout! And what a great challenge! Hoping I can find some of my country side pics this morning or get out and capture a few today - we live on a mountain so maybe I can find something really close to home!

Valerie, this is INSPIRED!!!!! What a wonderful idea! I loved reading about Yorkshire and I cannot wait for next week and the week after and after...lucky July has 5 Mondays!!!! I can only hope this will lead to a series???

What a great theme for your Monday challenges this month, Valerie. I don't think we made it up to Yorkshire when we visited England but I have lots of local countryside photos I could scrap.

Left you some love on your layout. Gorgeous.

Ooooh, darnit - I have the PERFECT layout, already completed this weekend...but it's for a template set you won't see for a few days or a week or so in the boutique. LOL I guess I'm taking a page out of Ro and Debbie's books and teasing you;)

I just chimed in here to say I LOVE the idea of touring the UK in the challenges and loved reading your mini history lesson above! I just wish I could get back to the UK for real, like, RIGHT NOW! Our European adventure was the best vacation ever.

Oh, what a great challenge Valerie and such interesting facts about Yorkshire. I'm looking forward to all the next Mondays to come. Super creative way to make Monday exciting.

Looking for photos now... :)

Archived