Pse11 Organiser

Belle

Let me tell you the story of my Organizer. My stash file is 156 GB without my layouts. That is stash only. That is thousands and thousands of little itty bitty pieces of flowers, papers etc. I decided to go the Organizer route because I thought that PSE 11 would work better. I sat for a solid 4.5 days tagging everything. I also did a backup which took hours and hours. After finishing I tried it out. Asked for green paper and got all the green papers. Asked for yellow papers and was told 'No Media' From then on just 'No Media.' I thought that I had wasted my time and deleted EVERYTHING. I watched the video again and realised that I was doing it wrong and had to be on the 'All Media' page to be able to find the tagged goodies.

So I started all over again. It took me 4 days to get everything back on again. I did a backup to my EHD. When I looked there, there were files all over the show. Thousands and thousand of them. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my PC and I deleted the backup. Which again took me hours and hours. I don't think I was doing the backup right anyway. Well my files were all tagged and working more or less properly. I picked up some malware or a virus (if you need a date with a beautiful russian, I have the number)

I handed my laptop in to be fixed and my IT guy came to me with a fantastic offer. I such a good deal for almost half the price on a top of the range laptop but had to give mine in as a trade in. He backed up everything for me EXCEPT my organiser. So lo and behold, I have to do it all over again. Tried Picasa but really don't like it.

So it's back to folders on the desktop for me.

That sounds very frustrating. Trying to find things again is so frustrating. I know that my search function on ACDSee is pretty clunky and the windows 7 search works great, but I can't see half my thumbnails - only works for jpg. My stuff is all broken down into folders so I have a fighting chance of finding it again, but I am soooo behind on filing. Anyway, sorry to babble on - I do feel your pain and hope things get better soon.

Oh Belle, Belle, Belle, I admire your restraint in not 1) throwing your computer and EHD out of the nearest window, and 2) not killing your IT guy. I used to have everything filed like you described but haven't sorted in forever. I find that if I am looking for something specific I just do a search, it doesn't bring up everything, but it's better than nothing.

Good luck with whatever system you decide on.

Oh Belle, I know exactly what you're going through - done that routine with too many programs and ... etc ... etc. You amaze me that you are still able to politely converse about the whole process. I started adding my own descriptive words to the file name and get better results when I do a computer search. Haven't done all of them yet, but I'm doing it to all new downloads and gradually getting to all the others. It works better than all the other programs I've tried. (I'll have to get back to you on the Russian hottie.)

Oh my goodness what a tale! What incredible restraint you must have. I start thinking about the whereabouts of my hammer when the little whirly rainbow ball goes on too long.

What don't you like about Picasa? Just curious as I am starting to use it

Oh my goodness what a tale! What incredible restraint you must have. I start thinking about the whereabouts of my hammer when the little whirly rainbow ball goes on too long.

What don't you like about Picasa? Just curious as I am starting to use it

I think it's because I don't really know how it works. I can't seem to sort anything in Pecasa. How about you?

Oh Belle! My stash is almost that big, but I gave up on organizer. It just didn't work for me, but a lot of people like it. When I search for anything I use Picasso (you have to beat it into submission!LOL) and otherwise, just look or search with the computer. Did you get a Mac or a Pc? I can't do anything with the Mac yet, but it's fast. I'm still using my old Pc and mostly just search on my own.

With Picasso, it will try to load everything on your pc, but go to Folders and tell it what you want searched. you can click on never search, search once, or search each time (or something like that). It will search your EHD's too the same way. It does tend to reload often, but it doesn't slow down PSE 11 like Organizer does.

In your instance, my pc would be thrown out of the window a long time ago!:D/>/> Stop deleting until you get it figured out.B)/>/>

Belle, you are so funny. I hope you got things sorted out. I pretty much gave up on ever getting mine in a catalog. You are working so hard at it, maybe you can teach me! I hope you are having some fun with your new pc.B)/>

I tried PSE Organizer a few years ago and hated it. It wouldn't backup the database properly and other issues. I have ACDSee and love it. I thought the previews are more crisp, and I love that it shows previews of ABR and layered PSD files as well. I wish the choosing categories "search" let you also exclude a category (in addition to the "any" or "all" functions), but overall I've had good luck with it and am very happy. Once you've categorized your items, when you exit it asks to "embed" the ACDSee data and you're set. Then if you backup those items to an EHD *afterward*, the categories info will be permanently attached to the files. (certain files like PSDs have sidecar XMP files you also have to backup with them). If the database fails or has issues, no biggie. I have switched computers, copied my scrap supplies files onto the new hard drive, loaded ACDSee, and just told it to "catalog" everything in my scrap supplies folders (that were already categorized) and it brings it all back up (takes a little time, though). If a category I created was used on at least one file, it will be in the list of categories again (you don't have to create the list all over).

Just thought I'd throw that out there!

Jennifer, I have never used ADCSee and don't even know what that is. I've tried Picasa but did not like that very much. I started very slowly with the Organizer. I add just a few things and then did a backup to a file I created on my EHD. Then I deleted the organizer and went and Restored my backup file to see if it worked. It did. Everyday when I finished working, I did a backup. As the file got getting bigger and bigger it took longer but I think it is worth while. The next problem that I got was missing files. How on earth could the organizer Lose files. I did not move them. I just went to the Edit menu and did 'Find Missing Files" After all the file were reconnected, I was able to carry on with the backup. So far the organizer is working for me. I think another 4 days and I'll be done.

Then for my 14000 photos. Wish me luck.

Jennifer, I have never used ADCSee and don't even know what that is. I've tried Picasa but did not like that very much. I started very slowly with the Organizer. I add just a few things and then did a backup to a file I created on my EHD. Then I deleted the organizer and went and Restored my backup file to see if it worked. It did. Everyday when I finished working, I did a backup. As the file got getting bigger and bigger it took longer but I think it is worth while. The next problem that I got was missing files. How on earth could the organizer Lose files. I did not move them. I just went to the Edit menu and did 'Find Missing Files" After all the file were reconnected, I was able to carry on with the backup. So far the organizer is working for me. I think another 4 days and I'll be done.

Then for my 14000 photos. Wish me luck.

I sent you a PM Belle!

Archived