9 replies to this topic

#1 ladyscrapalot

ladyscrapalot

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

What is the difference between online back-up services and places like Shutterfly, Picasa,and Photobucket? I mean I know the obvious difference but I would just like some clarification. Also in the past I didn't save the zip files but now that I know better I'm going to be saving them. Can you save them to the online back-up places? What about the photo storage places. I plan to copy them to CDs/DVDs. I think now I'm paranoid but after having damaged my EHD, can't backup enough. Any other comments, thoughts, advice, etc. on backing up/copying would greatly be appreciative.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 princessrunningfingers

princessrunningfingers

I'll Have You In Stitches In No Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,996 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am an avid stitcher, reader, and of course Scrap Girls Addict.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

I use Carbonite, and it automatically backs up everything that you select to be backed up. You can, for a little more money, choose to have it back up EHD's, but I don't use that feature. The reason for that is that I have all my SG supplies and my photos on both my hard drive and an EHD. My computer crashed last year, and I used Carbonite to recover, and I felt that it really saved me a lot of time and trouble. I haven't tried storing things on the other types of sites. I use Picasa to find my supplies when I'm scrapping, but I don't think it would be useful for backing up.

gallery_15063_3635_1064.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG_Olympian.pngBLINKIE_StayCation-Luau.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#3 MariJ

MariJ

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Welcoming Committee
  • 17,260 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

Shutterfly and Snapfish, etc will only store the photos you upload to their site. And I'm pretty sure that they store small-sized copies for you to access. In other words they store your photos so you can share them with others, buy prints from them or create products on their site. But, if you want to re-download one of your pics I think it's not full-sized.
They are in business for you to buy prints and their products, but not store your photos for you so you really need another backup for them in my opinion. I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it. :)
Hope that helps a bit but maybe someone else will come along!

gallery_19549_358_19841.png

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif     Button_Welcome.png    Button_Published.png WT-Button-copy.gif

#4 lindarobin

lindarobin

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

The big difference is file formats. Those photo places only accept JPG. However, you probably want to also backup your PSDs, PNGs, etc.

#5 ladyscrapalot

ladyscrapalot

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thanks ladies! I was thinking it had to with the file formats. Just wanted to be sure. Can unzipped files be backed up to places like Carbonite and Backblaze?

Thanks
Posted Image

#6 AggieB

AggieB

• Members
  • 12,669 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

I use Carbonite, like Joyce, but haven't had a failure yet (thank God) so I don't know how well it will work.

gallery_17848_304_78298.gif

December 2010 Member of the Month

#7 Murmer

Murmer

Scrapper Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

I use Crashplan and I an fairly certain that it backs up un zipped and ehds.
Posted Image

#8 ScrapGram

ScrapGram

• Members
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

I use Backblaze. I have had to use it but the EHD I had to restore didn't have any zip files on it. I think it would have backed them up had they been there. You mentioned that you now save zip files. I don't and am wondering why its necessary?

gallery_22255_297_28360.png
BLINKIES_software-PSE.gifSGblinkie.gifBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif[img]

#9 princessrunningfingers

princessrunningfingers

I'll Have You In Stitches In No Time

• Members
  • 17,996 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am an avid stitcher, reader, and of course Scrap Girls Addict.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

I use Backblaze. I have had to use it but the EHD I had to restore didn't have any zip files on it. I think it would have backed them up had they been there. You mentioned that you now save zip files. I don't and am wondering why its necessary?

I have wondered that also. I've never saved the zipped ones, but I'm pretty careful about backing up.

gallery_15063_3635_1064.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG_Olympian.pngBLINKIE_StayCation-Luau.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#10 ladyscrapalot

ladyscrapalot

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

I don't know if it's necessary. I thought I've read in the forums somewhere that some people do. Maybe it's just me being over paranoid after what happened to my EHD. lol!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users