Monday Challenge 15Th July

ValerieT

Hi everyone, how are you all today?

For today's challenge we are heading to the seaside city of Brighton and Hove. For those of you who don't know, I grew up just outside the then town of Brighton.

Bristelmestune first appears in the Doomsday Book (1086), by 1514 the name evolved into Brightelmstone when it was often raided by the French. From this period only the area known as "The Lanes" still remains, now an area for exclusive shops.

From 1780 Brighton became a fashionable resort, with a large number of Georgian terraces and later Regency buildings added to the sea front. Brighton grew even more when the Prince Regent (later King George IV) became it's patron and building the famous Royal Pavilion.

The addition of the London and Brighton Railway in 1841 made Brighton accessible do day trippers.

In 1997 Brighton, Hove, Portslade and several other villages, joined together and were granted City status by the Queen as part of the Millennium celebrations. Up until the twentieth century only towns with a Cathedral could call themselves a city. Since then city status has been granted at several notable milestones (the millennium, the Queens Jubilee) based on several factors with size being the least important. However since 1907 only about 10 towns have been made cities.

There have been three piers in Brighton, The Chain Pier, The West Pier and The Palace Pier. The remains of the West Pier are due to be replaced by a an observation tower, but building work has yet to begin.

Besides the royal connection, Brighton has one major claim to fame. In 1974 the Eurovision Song Contest was held in Brighton, with the winners being ABBA.

Now on to your challenge. Because Brighton is a seaside town and I spent nearly everyday, every summer on the beach your challenge is to include WATER somewhere on your layout.

Post your completed layouts in The General Message Board Challenges Gallery and post a link back here so we can all leave you some love.

Join me next week as we head along the coast to the Island of Portland.

Hi Val,

I posted a comment re your beautiful layout before I read the challenge, with the current heatwave hitting the UK it feels refreshing to do a layout to do with water, I have so many images going around in my head, as I am a water person (literally). Brilliant challenge :)

Me, too -- LOVE reading your interesting challenges Valerie and anticipating what each one will bring. WOW, had no idea about all you wrote - thanks for the great information and written so well it's like hearing a story.... And, I have an idea for the challenge and for once (for me) it's not the shore! :)

I have such fond memories of Brighton and used to go there regularly in the 70's and yes i even remember ABBA winning the Eurovision Song contest there!! It was our nearest beach although it took about 11/2hrs in those days (its probably about 45mins now)

I think these challenges on a monday should be a regular thing with each of you doing something about another country---I am just loving them not only are they very nostalgic for me as have been to these places but I love learning about them as well and the challenges are so different :) I should have seen this coming and done a water challenge though :( might be a while before I get it done ---will see how I go :)

I love reading your stories so much, Valerie and while I may not always have a layout to fit the challenge, I do look forward to learning from your writings! Always so interesting!

Wow, this is so interesting, Valerie. I love your mini history of a place you obviously love. I don't know if I will be able to do a layout (at least in a reasonable amount of time) but I'm looking forward to your next challenge.

Thanks for all the history of Brighton. I first became acquainted with it through the wonderful world of Jane Austen.

I think I might have a pic or two of water to scrap. Just back from vacation.....TONS of pics to take care of. :D

Hooray it's Monday! Another wonderful story Valerie - I'm loving them all. I may not have time to scrap anything this week - but we go away at the end of July for a week - perhaps then......

I enjoyed reading your information about Brighton. Will see if I can find time to do this challenge.

Archived