8 replies to this topic

#1 siskitkat

siskitkat

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

I have downloaded the 4 x 6 embellishment templates twice, to two different locations. I received error messages both times. The first time I used Extract Now the first time. The second time I used the windows program. That program gave me the error message that the file extension was too long. Sometimes, when I get an error message like this, I can still see what is in the folder. This time, the folder is empty.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Florida granny

Florida granny

• Creative Team
  • 11,868 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

I use Windows and got the same message. However, if you put the troublesome files onto your desktop, you can usually unzip there OK. Then you can copy them to wherever you want them. If that doesn't work (it worked for some but not all of this month's Club for me), try shortening the name by taking out one or two underscores and leaving a space instead. HTH!

gallery_20673_66_37871.png

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifLove-ATCs.gifSGblinkie.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#3 ValerieT

ValerieT

• TOU Administrator
  • 7,535 posts
  • Personal Statement:Mad as a hatter, with the patience of a saint!

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

I had the same problem. The file name is too long.

I had to extract the files to the windows temp folder (C:/Windows/Temp), this location will accept longer file names. Then go in and rename each file to something shorter. After I had done that I could then move it to where I wanted it.

WorldTourSiggy-1.png

BLINKIES_UK.gifButton_Welcome.pngButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifSecondHomeBlinkieGIF.gif?t=1352459462

#4 ValerieT

ValerieT

• TOU Administrator
  • 7,535 posts
  • Personal Statement:Mad as a hatter, with the patience of a saint!

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

I use Windows and got the same message. However, if you put the troublesome files onto your desktop, you can usually unzip there OK. Then you can copy them to wherever you want them. If that doesn't work (it worked for some but not all of this month's Club for me), try shortening the name by taking out one or two underscores and leaving a space instead. HTH!

We must have been posting at the same time. Good to know there is more than one solution.

WorldTourSiggy-1.png

BLINKIES_UK.gifButton_Welcome.pngButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifSecondHomeBlinkieGIF.gif?t=1352459462

#5 siskitkat

siskitkat

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Moving the folder to the desktop and shortening the file names worked. Thanks.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

Why are the file names too long? Couldn't they be made shorter by the designer? Maybe we should change the name of the zipped folders before unzipping. Would that work?

gallery_19386_314_49430.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifBLINKIES_wise1.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#7 SodScrap

SodScrap

SGU Teacher's Pet

• Welcoming Committee
  • 14,619 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Why are the file names too long? Couldn't they be made shorter by the designer? Maybe we should change the name of the zipped folders before unzipping. Would that work?

I sometimes think it has to do with where each individual puts the unzipped file to an extent. I do think they try to keep the names short enough that it isn't an issue though!

I'm going to download this morning. Glad I saw this now, it will save me some frustration later!

gallery_12013_66_17251.gif

ShredButton.pngSG_Olympian.pngButton_Welcome.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif
SG-9-Anniversary-SugarNSpice-Blinkie.gif

#8 BarbaraC1977

BarbaraC1977

Organizational Diva -- loves to play with supplies!

• Members
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

It has a little to do with where the files are placed, and a lot to do with how many layers of folders and how long the file names chosen by the designer. I've updated and re-posted the detailed explanation I wrote a while back:

"I'm sorry you're experiencing difficulty. I experienced the same kind of error on my computer this weekend with one of my kits; Vista is not the problem. I worked with Angie, and ended up figuring the problem out--the file path is too long. The overall limit is 256 characters, and all of the folder and filenames get concatenated together during the extraction process.

Here's an example of how all this plays out in XP. My Vista machine is at the office, so I can't give you the exact numbers, but Vista is very similar, and so are Windows 7 and Windows 8. This can also happen with Macs.

C:\Documents and Settings\Barbara\My Documents\3_ScrapGirls to Unzip; 68 characters; My normal download location,
C:\Documents and Settings\Barbara\Desktop; 41 characters; Alternate location, also unsuccessful

BHA_SS_Emb_Exp_PassportStamps_SuperBiggie.zip; 45 characters; download filename

\BHA_SS_Emb_Exp_PassportStamps_SuperBiggie; 42 characters; top-level folder

\BHA_SS_Emb_Exp_PassportStamps_Individ_Digi; 43 characters; folder for individual digital files

\BHA_SS_Emb_Exp_PassportStamps_Alphas&Numbers; 45 characters; subfolder by type

\BHA_SS_Emb_Exp_PassStamp_Alphas-low-ampersand.png; 50 characters; typical filename

293 characters in my regular download location.
266 characters on my desktop without revision.

(I'm not picking on Brandi here; the filenames have a good reason to follow this format.)

So here is how we solved it. Rename the .ZIP file to a very small name; in this case I used PassportStamps.zip
Move it to the c:\ folder, or make one called c:\temp and move it there.

This dropped 66 characters from the overall length of the combined path, enough to slide in under the 256 character total pathname. Once the files are extracted, you can move them and their folders as needed.

I requested that for this one, the designer consider a slight rearrangement in the folders, eliminating one intermediate layer (43 characters) as a start. Depending on your computer's configuration, that _may_ be enough. Otherwise, you'll need a program such as WinZip rather than ExtractNow to go in and shorten/rename the folder and filenames while they are still inside the .zip file."

Hope this helps!

gallery_17172_358_42296.png
SGblinkie.gif  SG_BB_LoveThis.png  BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
Scrapper | Wife | Mother | Friend | Soprano | Traveler
Rotarian | CEO, Auction Systems
| Recovering Perfectionist

#9 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • 21,616 posts