• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 countrydi

countrydi

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Personal Statement:We aren't promised tomorrow, so make sure you enjoy and make the most of today!!!!

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

This is crazy. I'm having a total brain freeze. I'm working on a layout and trying to do a very simple task and I can't remember how to do it. I'm using PSE 11. All I'm trying to do is cut away excess picture that is sticking out from under a picture frame. I know it's super simple. I've done it before so many times. But I haven't been doing anything much till recently, and I'm amazed at how much I've forgotten.:embarrassed003:/> :blush:/>

Thank you in advance for helping
~Di~ Photographer @ Heart

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 41,875 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

There is more than one way to do it. Probably more than ten ways to do it!
You do have the ability to use layer masks in PSE 11. That is my favorite way because I can change my mind later. :)
How I make the selection depends on the frame and whether it is at an angle. First, make sure your photo layer is selected. If it is straight, just use the marquis tool to select the area you want to keep. If it is at an angle, I use the Polygonal Lasso Tool and click around the image to get a selection.

When you have and active selection around the part of your photo you would like to keep,(the little "ants" should be marching around your photo) click on the layer mask icon in the layers panel. It looks like a rectangle with a circle in the center. Another way, using the top menu in CS6, I can choose "Layer> Layer Mask." It may be slightly different in PSE 11, but the icon in your layers panel will look the same. When you create a layer mask with an active selection, it will crop your photo to the selection.

Hope that helps!

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngWT-Button-copy.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#3 countrydi

countrydi

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  • Personal Statement:We aren't promised tomorrow, so make sure you enjoy and make the most of today!!!!

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

There is more than one way to do it. Probably more than ten ways to do it!
You do have the ability to use layer masks in PSE 11. That is my favorite way because I can change my mind later. :)/>
How I make the selection depends on the frame and whether it is at an angle. First, make sure your photo layer is selected. If it is straight, just use the marquis tool to select the area you want to keep. If it is at an angle, I use the Polygonal Lasso Tool and click around the image to get a selection.

When you have and active selection around the part of your photo you would like to keep,(the little "ants" should be marching around your photo) click on the layer mask icon in the layers panel. It looks like a rectangle with a circle in the center. Another way, using the top menu in CS6, I can choose "Layer> Layer Mask." It may be slightly different in PSE 11, but the icon in your layers panel will look the same. When you create a layer mask with an active selection, it will crop your photo to the selection.

Hope that helps!

Hi April. There used to be a quick way I did it by some how circling the excess with some tool and then I'd just hit delete. Does that ring a bell?

#4 MariJ

MariJ

• Welcoming Committee
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Wow, I like that April but in PSE 6 I don't have masks (we won't talk about CS3) --- so, Di I use the "Rectangular Marquee" tool (M) to make a square or rectangle around what I want to remove and hit "delete".
Sometimes I get very smart (:D) and make my square around what I want to keep, then go to "Select" then "Inverse" and hit delete and the excess goes away.

gallery_19549_358_19841.png

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif     Button_Welcome.png     WT-Button-copy.gif

#5 princessrunningfingers

princessrunningfingers

I'll Have You In Stitches In No Time

• Members
  • 17,959 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am an avid stitcher, reader, and of course Scrap Girls Addict.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

Wow, I like that April but in PSE 6 I don't have masks (we won't talk about CS3) --- so, Di I use the "Rectangular Marquee" tool (M) to make a square or rectangle around what I want to remove and hit "delete".
Sometimes I get very smart (:D/>/>) and make my square around what I want to keep, then go to "Select" then "Inverse" and hit delete and the excess goes away.

I think MariJ's way is the easiest. That's what I usually do.

gallery_15063_3635_42373.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG_Olympian.pngBLINKIE_StayCation-Luau.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#6 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • 21,539 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

I do Marilyn's way but only because I never thought of the mask. Thanks April, I think this way is very clever because as you say, you can change your mind again.Posted Image

gallery_19386_314_49430.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifBLINKIES_wise1.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#7 jhbren

jhbren

Scrapper Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

If you want to delete the parts of a picture OUTSIDE the frame, select the part you want to keep, using any method, then go to the Select menu and choose inverse. Then hit delete. Hope this helps!

gallery_3248_66_19146.gif

My gallery

#8 tiza126

tiza126

SG Shopaholic

• Welcoming Committee
  • 16,653 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

I've done it both ways - using the rectangular marquee, inverse, and delete.. and using a mask.

gallery_14425_66_70914.gif

(siggy by Conda)

Button_Welcome.png~ SGblinkie.gif~ BLINKIES_Huckleberry.gif~ BLINKIES_BoutiqueBabe.gif

#9 countrydi

countrydi

• Members
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

The way MariJ's does it was the way I was thinking and used to do it. But Thank you April and everyone else. April, I now have a new way to do it also!! I love learning new things and I can save this page and come back to it since my memory can't be relied on LOL.

Thank you all again. The LO is done and I will be posting them soon. I managed to get 4 done, using quick pages, but that's why they call they quick pages I guess. :winking_baby:/>

#10 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 41,875 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

It is great to see you scrapping again Diane!

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngWT-Button-copy.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#11 countrydi

countrydi

• Members
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

It is great to see you scrapping again Diane!

Thank you April!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users