Running Elements From An Ehd

StephRN

Hi scrapper gurus,

I'm looking at restarting my digi scrapping hobby with Elements. I have CS3 but want something more portable. Do you know if I can install it on an EHD and run it from there. That way I can run it on whatever device I have with me when the scrap bug hits.

Thanks so much,

Steph

Stephanie,

It's been a few years since my experience, but I tried this and had a hard time running elements from my ehd. I asked this same question and was told that you should never run a program from one. At the same time I put elements on my ehd I put my itunes on it. I never had a problem with itunes until just lately. I had to try to delete my itunes and reinstall it. I still cannot get help reinstalling. I'm sure it is because it was on an ehd and I couldn't get it completely off. I really miss my itunes and am thinking about paying someone to help me.

Karen

Don't think you can really run any real programs, I seem to recall the connection is not fast enough for it to run or something like that.

And I'm also glad you're going to get back into the game. I hope to see lots of great LOs of Avery.

You can install the program on more than one computer. I have elements on 3 right now. I have photos and SG supplies on my EHD and can use any of them. I did find out that Picassa tagging doesn't transfer though. :(

I do hope you document this special time in your life!

I didn't think you could run it from and EHD either.... So, I just ran this one by Bob, and he said you really can run software from an EHD. I run several programs off the D drive rather than the C drive with no problems. Some programs will let you run them without them actually being installed, but Adobe products won't. The issue with installing onto an EHD is that when you plug into a different port, the drive letter can change and that could mess it up (especially if you're using a short cut to open it). If you have a newer EHD with a USB 3 connection, there shouldn't be a speed issue. ( My USB 3 ports are on the back of the machine).

There is a chance it won't show in your installed programs menu - especially if you are trying to use it on a second machine, so you'd need to go into the program files and manually start it.

Now I'm wanting to try it with something..... :D

You can install the program on more than one computer. I have elements on 3 right now. I have photos and SG supplies on my EHD and can use any of them. I did find out that Picassa tagging doesn't transfer though. sad.gif

I do hope you document this special time in your life!

I have Photoshop installed on both my desktop and laptop. That would be a much easier solution. Adobe licensing lets you put it on two machines (sometimes 3, but you may get a warning asking for the registration number at some point). I had CS4 on three machines for a few months, but I rarely used one of them.

Hi ladies, thanks for the info. I'm wanting to purchase a Surface Pro and take it on the road with me. Since most of my working files are on my EHD, I will take that with me too. My fiance lives in SF--100 miles away. I'm not sure the Pro will have the capapcity for CS. I had CS3 installed on 2 machines. One is dead and my LT is getting really old now. It's my understanding that Adobe is going to subscription. Does anyone know if it will take PSE to the cloud too. That might solve my problem entirely. Also, will the actions and styles I purchased work on PSE? I seem to remember a difference b/w the ones for CS and those PSE.

Karen, my iTunes was stuck for 18 months. My XDH is an IT guy. He surfed into my computer via remote support and found 2 stuck files that hadn't deleted. It's the second or third time it's been a file issue. iTunes is notorious for this. I've been to their "genius" bar many times and I really think they need to take that sign down.

Gayle, you're so sweet. I'm really looking forward to making some fun LOs for her. I have very few pics of me as a child. I would like for her to have more than enough.

Hugs

Another welcome back, Steph.

It is my understanding that they will not be doing the cloud subscription for PSE. As for the styles and actions you already own, some may work in PSE and some may not. You'll have to check in the Boutique to see if they are listed as working on both programs. Some may be one or the other. If they are older styles and actions that might have been discontinued, I guess you'd probably have to just try them.

If you still have the registration number, you can use CS3. If the registration doesn't go through when you install it, call adobe and tell them the computer it was installed on doesn't work anymore, so you can't uninstall it. They'll clear it up so you can install it on two machines again. You can do a lot of scrapping in CS3. From what I read, the Surface Pro has a i5 processor (a pretty fast chip) and can run all your programs, the issue will be with Windows 8. CS3 may not work on it. I checked and some people have been able to get it to work, but it looked like most couldn't. That said, I read that the version of Office I was using wouldn't work on my machine and it installed just fine.

Archived