Silhouette Portrait Giveaway

Hi, Although it's true that I haven't spent a lot of money since the changeover, although I used to. I wanted to see what changes would take place and I'm not pleased. If I'm good enough to be a member of a site, good enough that you'll take my money for merchandise, good enough to receive your mailings, good enough to post on your site, etc and so on - then I should be good enough to join in any contests that are provided for members. To limit a draw to US residents only, seems very unfair to me, as well as close minded. I know that you'll delete this thread and I don't really care if you do. Since I'm not good enough for your draws, you can delete my profile as well if it makes you feel better. Writing to you in this forum makes me feel better about being slammed by a group that I've been a member of for years. Have yourselves a good day and enjoy your sales, because there won't be any more purchases from me.

Heather, I am sorry you feel this way. I live in Australia and it did not bother me that this contest was not available to me as the postage of the prize to me would be expensive.

Hi Heather - Unfortunately we did not get to chose the rules for the contest - the Silhouette Company who provided the prize set the rules for us. A-M is exactly correct as to why they limited their contest to US citizens only - the shipping overseas would cost as much as the prize itself. When we create our own contests and challenges we try to think up prizes that don't need to be shipped (like things that can be mailed or sent digitally) to recognize the fact that we have customers all over the world. That's part of why we give away a lot of store gift certificates and such. I'm sorry you were not able to enter the Silhouette give away, but we have lots of other fun games and prizes being given out this week that you would be eligible for.

Awww Heatheranne, I'm sorry the rules weren't able to include our many folks out of the USA this time. Perhaps you can let Silhouette know of your disappointment in hopes that they can work something out, at least with Canada, it being so close to us and all. Or maybe Silhouette will change the rules in the future if you suggest that an out-of-US winner could pay the difference in the shipping costs? That might be the fairest compromise I can think up on the spur of the moment.

Yes, I'm sure the shipping to Canada would be just too horrendous to consider shipping it here. I would think that if you can't afford to do a contest that can include all of your members, then it would be better to decline the offer, if the sponsor won't ship the product. If the other members don't care if they're included, that's fine, but to me it's a matter of integrity. I've never been one for different rules for different people, but hey, if everyone else thinks that it's okay, then who am I to say different. Have fun with your games.

Heatheranne, I do understand how it feels to be left out. Often there are contests for Facebook members, and many of us don't use Facebook. But, it's just the way the world works today. It seems to be all about money. I hope you will reconsider and not leave. Maybe this will influence Silhouette to reconsider the rules of their give-a-ways. Although it would be nice to have a Silhouette, it is an expense I'm not willing at this point to spend. All of the ads in all of the blogs are geared towards Silhouette, and I do get tired of them.

For me, I am just way toooo slow to enter contests, the spirit is willing, but the body is weak and besides keeping up with 5 kids keeps me so busy I want to enter and someday I will! Blessings on you!!!

1375144086[/url]' post='1087607']

Hi Heather - Unfortunately we did not get to chose the rules for the contest - the Silhouette Company who provided the prize set the rules for us. A-M is exactly correct as to why they limited their contest to US citizens only - the shipping overseas would cost as much as the prize itself. When we create our own contests and challenges we try to think up prizes that don't need to be shipped (like things that can be mailed or sent digitally) to recognize the fact that we have customers all over the world. That's part of why we give away a lot of store gift certificates and such. I'm sorry you were not able to enter the Silhouette give away, but we have lots of other fun games and prizes being given out this week that you would be eligible for.

Seems to me you had the choice to participate or not. By offering the contest you agreed to snub some of your "membership". Sounds like a good way to lose them.

I'm sorry some of you feel this way, but I understand Debbie on this completely. I'm approached by brands to host giveaways on my blog from time to time, and yes, most of the time they limit winners to the US only because of shipping and other details. This is something that is out of my control - but if it's a product that I really enjoy and want to share with my readers, I will host the giveaway anyway. Not because I want to "exclude" anyone, but because I want someone to be able to get something free and enjoy it like I do!

I really feel like Debbie was just trying to give someone the chance at a GREAT prize that they may not be able to afford, or have access to on their own. It was ever intended to hurt or make anyone feel excluded. Ya know? :)

I've seen other Silhouette giveaways on blogs and Facebook around the internet, and ALL of them state they are open only to US residents. As Debbie stated, the Silhouette company set that limitation. So I would suggest emailing Silhouette's customer support and suggesting they open promotional contests to people living in Canada: http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/?page=contact

Putting it out there - yes I am Team and no, I have NO interest in winning a Silhouette. Furthermore I live in Australia. So not only do I not enter these competitions like the Silhouette one I also don't get to take part in the chats and games I might like to. But you know what? I joined SG knowing it was a US based company and I am very happy here. I take part when I can and I know some events are staged to help include us overseas members. I am assuming that Silhouette is also a US based company and I think it is a very generous offer to provide the amount of Silhouettes they have to SG via competitions and giveaways. As an Aussie I see all manner of things can't get shipped here, but I also see it in reverse - we have numbers of wonderful companies that you guys will never experience from sheer geography. I know it is little solace but I don't have a problem with not entering the contest, I am happy enough with what I CAN take part in and delighted living where I do, however, I do respect your opinion Heatheranne and I understand your point. Glad you felt strongly enough about SG to speak up.

I've seen Silhouette giveaways all over the internet, and ALL of them state they are open only to US residents.

I would suggest emailing Silhouette's customer support and suggesting they open promotional contests to people living in Canada!

http://www.silhouett...m/?page=contact

oh and that is a great idea Tiza, surely postage isn't THAT much to Canada?? or they have a distributor there?

I would think it's not so much the cost of shipping as the legal and tax implications for giveaways, sweepstakes and contests if opened up to other countries. I have heard that Canada has many rules that vary by jurisdiction so that could be why you see restricted to US.

Putting it out there - yes I am Team and no, I have NO interest in winning a Silhouette. Furthermore I live in Australia. So not only do I not enter these competitions like the Silhouette one I also don't get to take part in the chats and games I might like to. But you know what? I joined SG knowing it was a US based company and I am very happy here. I take part when I can and I know some events are staged to help include us overseas members. I am assuming that Silhouette is also a US based company and I think it is a very generous offer to provide the amount of Silhouettes they have to SG via competitions and giveaways. As an Aussie I see all manner of things can't get shipped here, but I also see it in reverse - we have numbers of wonderful companies that you guys will never experience from sheer geography. I know it is little solace but I don't have a problem with not entering the contest, I am happy enough with what I CAN take part in and delighted living where I do, however, I do respect your opinion Heatheranne and I understand your point. Glad you felt strongly enough about SG to speak up.

I ditto everything Jody has said here, I too live in Australia and can't participate as much as I would like to due to time differences and the such, as well as being on Team which means I couldn't win the prizes anyway

I do absolutely LOVE it here, it has been my second home since 2006 and whilst I would love to participate more, I am so happy to be here, having met some of the most important people in my life and am thrilled for all my friends who are able to participate and win wonderful prizes.

As Jody says, Heatheranne, I respect what you say and am glad that you feel so strongly about us here at SG, I really hope that you will reconsider and continue to join with us in all that we love right here at SG

Archived