Thursday Challenge August 1 - "art" :)

MariJ

Can you believe it's time for the first AUGUST Thursday Challenge? For this month I thought I'd explore different ideas having to do with art and for week one decided to try Art Journaling. Now PLEASE don't run away! I myself took an Art Journaling class, yet still have trouble actually explaining what it is and I'm still not really comfortable with it. :) So I've been researching and reading up and found some basic principles I thought might make it easier.

First - a little explanation. Art journaling is a JOURNAL just like a written one except it's made with art, not words. It's usually photoless so a meaningful symbolic image, item, or graphic can be used to express your thoughts along with some words or phrases. And, since the symbol is usually very personal to YOU, "anything goes"! That was the most important thing I read about Art Journaling - NOTHING is ever "wrong". :)

So, let's try this step-by-step. Today I'd like you to think about how you are feeling, right now. Are you happy, worried, peaceful, content, sleepy etc? Think about your word and how it feels in you.

Next, find a background paper to use that "feels" like you do. You can combine or blend papers or make your own. And, remember since it's highly personal to YOU, although red might usually be thought an "angry" color, for you it might feel happy. Search through your stash and find backgrounds that speak to you right now....

Once you have your background set it's time to think about those symbols. We already know WHAT you want to express, (your word) so now think about HOW. What depicts and embodies how you feel? Maybe you are feeling happy and that means chocolate! So, put a piece of chocolate on your page! I've even found you can put a key word like "peaceful" in a search engine and find symbols or objects to use. And, since Art Journaling is typically a "collage" type of page - just add things on. Ribbons, flowers, trees - whatever! It's all about what appeals to you! Go through your embellishment stash, see what calls to you and go to it. :)

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Still confused? Well, let me explain the making of my layout. I was in the middle of preparing for a ScrapGirls chat I was hosting last night and trying to create a few layouts -- along with my "regular" (non-scrapping) life when I suddenly remembered , "OH NO!" The very NEXT day was August 1, a Thursday and guess who was in charge of the Thursday Challenge?

I came up with the Art Journaling idea, ok but it needed to be worked on and so did yet another LAYOUT! AAaarrggghhh, I don't work well under pressure. So, I decided to follow my own steps above and thought about what I felt like, right then… wanna guess? I took my word and looked through my stash and found a background that spoke to me… Then I put that word in the Yahoo Search box, clicked "Images" and came up with a few. Along the way I thought of a few of my own and found them too. I added pieces from Jennifer Ziegler's "Go Left" Value Pack because it was perfect for my theme. At some point it all started to come together and I relaxed enough to know there WOULD be a layout! :) I kept going, it suddenly started to be fun! After all, that's what it's all about, right?

You can see my layout HERE. I hope you try too and I can't wait to see your layouts, but remember -- HAVE FUN… and "anything goes"!

Please post your pages in the General Message Board Challenge Gallery.

(And for another wonderful example and explanation, Jode so kindly created a layout for this challenge and explains her process HERE.)

I'll give this a try later in the morning, Marilyn! It sounds like fun really - but no telling what my page will turn out to be! This morning has been stressful already - so maybe I'll work my stress out by doing this challenge! Love the idea!

This is a great challenge as I enjoy dabbling in a little bit of art journaling... not sure what feelings I may portray in a page as there are a few things going on in my life presently. Hopefully I will return with a page for this challenge.

Art journaling scares me!! :shycouch:/>

Kinda like me and templates, Theresa? :D

I totally understand so I tried to make it easy! Hmmmmm and I DID try templates at your urging and even use them at times! :o

(PS Just LOVE that graphic! Maybe you can use it in a page about being scared of Art Journaling! Heehee!)

Art journaling scares me!! :shycouch:/>/>

Kinda like me and templates, Theresa? :D/>

I totally understand so I tried to make it easy! Hmmmmm and I DID try templates at your urging and even use them at times! :o/>

(PS Just LOVE that graphic! Maybe you can use it in a page about being scared of Art Journaling! Heehee!)

Well... maybe I'll give it a try. After work and after the chiroprator and after my workout. My journal page might be all about sleep ;)

I got started on my page but now I'm kind of stuck after seeing your page and Jody's, Marilyn! Mine seems to be a big mess right now so I think I'll start it over again! I want to print it out so doing it on 8.5 x 11 and it's a little harder to get everything in that I want in it........you did an awesome job of explaining art journaling!

I got started on my page but now I'm kind of stuck after seeing your page and Jody's, Marilyn! Mine seems to be a big mess right now so I think I'll start it over again! I want to print it out so doing it on 8.5 x 11 and it's a little harder to get everything in that I want in it........you did an awesome job of explaining art journaling!

Thanks so much Sara - I appreciate your kind words as I really labored over it all and got quite harried myself at first!

I understand what you mean and had the same "big mess" problem at first, too!

But, REMEMBER! "Anything goes" and nothing is "wrong" and what I did was take my "big mess" and just keep adding and moving stuff around. As long as it expresses what you feel, it's fine and good. Think of a written journal - sometimes the words are a "big mess" too, but the end always turns out ok -- in helping you express yourself. :)

Hmmmm... And in thinking about it, would it help if you did two side-by-side 8.5x11 pages for more room?

Truly, part of my "harried" at first was thinking my page had to be "perfect". I just kept going and eventually it clicked.

Good luck!

Okay, I decided to leave it alone and post it. I really don't know at this point what I think about it.

Tomorrow is a New Day

I'm so glad you DID post it, Joyce. And honestly? I actually felt the same way about mine (I think it was part of my "harried)" and was very unsure about it all. I think part of that has to do with sharing feelings and a part of yourself, at least for me it did. I felt better afterwards and I hope you did too. Your layout is lovely. :)

Thanks so much Sara - I appreciate your kind words as I really labored over it all and got quite harried myself at first!

I understand what you mean and had the same "big mess" problem at first, too!

But, REMEMBER! "Anything goes" and nothing is "wrong" and what I did was take my "big mess" and just keep adding and moving stuff around. As long as it expresses what you feel, it's fine and good. Think of a written journal - sometimes the words are a "big mess" too, but the end always turns out ok -- in helping you express yourself. :)/>

Hmmmm... And in thinking about it, would it help if you did two side-by-side 8.5x11 pages for more room?

Truly, part of my "harried" at first was thinking my page had to be "perfect". I just kept going and eventually it clicked.

Good luck!

Thanks, Marilyn - a two pager might help - Crawford just went home and so I can start working on it again tonight - I'm actually getting kind of excited about seeing how it turns out now - after all, it's self expression, so you're right - anything goes! We'll see! :)

Oh my, Marilyn, this really was a challenge. I've never done one of these since everyone else had such professional looking LOs and I was pretty clueless. But I'm giving it my best shot. Will apply some finishing touches and send it up.

Mine took me a little while too but I got it up. Here it is. Happiness

The last few years at our house have been difficult and I work up to a life-is-good kind of feeling. I heard the song lyrics on the page last week that fit today well.

I have just been through the Gallery and all I can say is WOW!!! If you haven't tried this art form yet, give it a go, we are all being brave and sharing and you never know, you might find it a really eye opening experience. I find it calming to get my thoughts out, but even if you don't, have a go at expressing yourself ART JOURNAL style!

Thankyou Marilyn for this challenge. I enjoyed creating my page and it was good therapy: HOPE

I just wanted to add that I have just journeyed through the gallery of all those love art journal pages. It actually makes you feel good to read of others feelings and the journeys they are on, and to see that some of us are on similar journeys.

I am personally hoping we could have an Art journal challenge each month now. That way we can eventually have a nice album of our art journaling.... just thought I should put a date on the one I created....

Archived