Thursday Challenge August 8 - "art 2" :)

MariJ

Wow! Response to last week's Thursday Challenge was so enthusiastic I'm worried it's a hard act to follow. :) I was impressed by how many bravely tried and posted layouts -- all with such lovely results! Since my August theme is "ART", we'll continue for one more week in Art Journaling with a change in prompt. Last week we journaled about YOU and how you felt right then. This week we'll explore nature and you.

I read through "Nature Journals" by L. K. Ludwig and his introductory paragraph hooked me.

"Nature calls to our very spirits, asking us to notice. We stoop to gather small pebbles for our pockets, tiny flowers wink at us from the grass, and fistfuls of blazing, colored leaves make their way into our hands. With nature, we stay childlike in our awe and our sense of magic and mystery is nurtured. We point at sunsets and gaze at the moon. The sticks and feathers that make their way into our pockets… bear witness to our desire to record those moments when we have been touched by nature" 

To begin, remember that Art journaling is a JOURNAL just like a written one except it's made with art and uses meaningful symbols in place of photos.

So first, think about your relationship with the natural world. What SYMBOLS in nature appeal to you? Do you collect shells or pretty rocks? Love butterflies, mountains, trees or flowers? Maybe you appreciate the clear blue sky or marvel at the lush, green grass or clear running streams… Your symbol is a meaningful image used to express your thoughts and feelings about the natural world and is personal to YOU, so "anything goes"!

Once you decide on a symbol, create a background. You can combine or blend papers, make your own or even "cut" up a few and place them on your page collage-style. Brush some color on if you like, remember, it's all about YOU!

Next reflect on how your symbol shows your connection to nature -- what does it mean to you? For instance you might like birds because in flight they feel magical and free, or from the ocean feel a sense of the powerful or from lush green grass the hope of new life …

Look in your stash for pieces to express your thoughts and feelings. Use elements, words, phrases, colors --- ANYTHING that helps show your connection to nature. Remember to just add things on! Sometimes I literally pile pieces on my page and then go back and "play" and rearrange them. Somehow that helps take the inner "critic" out of my work.

Add whatever you want - ribbons, borders, scribbles, words, etc. It's all about what YOU like.

Please post your completed layouts in the General Message Board Challenge Gallery.

I can't wait to see what you come up with and hope you'll give it a try! And, remember -- HAVE FUN… and "anything goes"! :)

Here's my layout - I've included my process if you'd like a bit more step-by-step -- SUN

Jode so kindly created a gorgeous layout for another example - CLOUDS

And, if you'd like to review last week's Art Journal explanations you can find the challenge HERE

I'll be working on mine during the day today in between Crawford hugs! LYSL in the Gallery, Marilyn - your layout is fantabulous! I loved all of your layers - brilliantly done!

Good Grief! I've already got four layout ideas in my mind. I love butterflies (no surprise there), Autumn leaves, trees (especially leafless ones), and flowers. I collect rocks, crystals, shells and black sand from Hawaii (after it's been blessed). I just love nature.

I will definitely be doing a couple of layouts for this challenge.

Good Grief! I've already got four layout ideas in my mind. I love butterflies (no surprise there), Autumn leaves, trees (especially leafless ones), and flowers. I collect rocks, crystals, shells and black sand from Hawaii (after it's been blessed). I just love nature.

I will definitely be doing a couple of layouts for this challenge.

Carol, when I wrote "butterflies" in the challenge notes I specifically thought of you!

Looking forward to seeing your layouts. :)

Sorry, I was out for a bit, but so glad to find layouts and enthusiasm when I returned. I was so afraid everyone would groan when they saw the challenge! :)

Yet, I am again in awe at Scrapgirls' willingness to try and create in a new format. (I have to admit - me too, stresses me out each week, yet I settle down, follow my own directions and DO it. Amazes me each time!)

I had no intention on doing two weeks of Art Journaling... Now I am already pondering the "What-to-do-next-week?" dilemna. HMmmmmmm......

Now, off to LSL.

The minute I read this topic only one song kept running through my head. For me, nature speaks loud and clear to my heart about my God's faithfulness, mercy and love. When I stand before nature I'm awe-struck of the beauty He created for me to see. Nature Challenge

I know my subject - just haven't figured out HOW to scrap it yet! Will be back in a bit to LSL in the Gallery! Loving the Art Journaling Challenges though!

Sorry, I was out for a bit, but so glad to find layouts and enthusiasm when I returned. I was so afraid everyone would groan when they saw the challenge! :)/>

Yet, I am again in awe at Scrapgirls' willingness to try and create in a new format. (I have to admit - me too, stresses me out each week, yet I settle down, follow my own directions and DO it. Amazes me each time!)

I had no intention on doing two weeks of Art Journaling... Now I am already pondering the "What-to-do-next-week?" dilemna. HMmmmmmm......

Now, off to LSL.

I bet you'll come up with a fabulous idea, Marilyn!

These pages are just brilliant! Mine isn't coming together at all for me - somehow my mountains of WNC just aren't working for me. Still working on mine.

Great, Sara, take your time. I find it helps not to think at first - hust literally throw things on the page and then play with them.

Keep scrapping and keep that foot elevated! :)

These pages are just brilliant! Mine isn't coming together at all for me - somehow my mountains of WNC just aren't working for me. Still working on mine.

Great, Sara, take your time. I find it helps not to think at first - hust literally throw things on the page and then play with them.

Keep scrapping and keep that foot elevated! :)/>

I think that's my problem, Marilyn - I thought about it too much - think I may just start it over again! Working between Crawford hugs!

Keep scrapping and keep that foot elevated! :)/>/>

I think that's my problem, Marilyn - I thought about it too much - think I may just start it over again! Working between Crawford hugs!

Yup, my watercolor teacher says the key is to "get out of your own way".

(That said, I have trouble doing that myself!)

GREAT work everyone - I am so enjoying all the beautiful work in the gallery. :)

Archived