Photo

Thursday Challenge August 14 - "art 3" :)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MariJ

MariJ

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Welcoming Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,233 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:29 AM

Happy Thursday! All the enthusiastic responses and layout creations have convinced me that we need to continue in Art Journaling for yet another week. In case you missed the first two explanations you can find them through these links - Week 1 and Week 2.
In short, Art Journaling is like keeping a written journal, except we use art, symbols, words and no photos. It's usually very artsy with the number one rule being it's all about YOU so "anything goes". In week one we journaled how you were feeling "right now" and week two found us exploring our connection to Nature. For week three I thought we'd focus more on the JOURNALING side of Art Journaling.

I looked through many different Art Journal pages and found that a "stream of consciousness" writing is often used… This means beginning to write and keep going, the main idea being to get parts of yourself down on your page. Suggestions include setting a timer for 5 minutes and writing (in our case typing) -- going as quickly as you can without a lot of thought. If your mind is blank, start your journaling with "My mind is a total blank" or "I don't know what to say" and continue from there. Whatever comes to your mind, just type it down, one sentence, phrase or word after another.

To begin, instead of starting with a "paper" background, this week we're going to begin with our journaling. In "Journal Spilling" by Diana Trout, I found three ideas to help you start --
1. "Secrets and Wishes"
Be awash in your wishes and dreams. Write it all down - large dreams, small dreams, funny or silly; it should flow from heart to hand to page. Let it flow and keep typing for as long as you can or until you feel finished.
2. "Personal Landscape"
Think about where you live and how you feel about this place. It can be where you really live or where you'd like to escape sometime. Did any surprises come out? Remember to just keep typing - without trying to think.
3. "When I Look Into My Eye"
Look deep into yourself. What do you see right now? What does the terrain look like? Feel like?

Pick one of these prompts and start typing, adding words or phrases - whatever comes to your mind. Try not to judge or think -- just keep writing. Your aim is to produce a paragraph, page or even a few blocks of thoughts. When you are finished, read what you wrote and see how it feels in you.

Go through your stash and find a background that feels suitable to your writing. Open a text box and copy and paste your writing onto your background. Now, here's where your creativity comes in. Is your writing too private to share? You can blend it into the page so that letters, words or thoughts show, but not the entire piece. Change the blending mode so it almost melts into the background or highlight letters, words or parts of them with a different color or size. The point is to make art with your words - make them part of your design. You can even break up your words or sentences and place them around the page. Or repeat them over and over and over - it's up to you!

Next look at your page and decide if there's a "theme" or feeling to it all. Maybe you'd like to type one word BIG on the page or a few small ones all around. Think about symbols that might represent what you journaled. Search through your stash and find pieces that show how you feel or illustrate your words… Add any other pieces you desire and when it feels finished, sit back, admire your work and please post it in the General Message Board Challenge Gallery for us all to see. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Here's my page… Look Into My Eye

and Jode has so kindly created another example - Personal Landscape

Many MANY thanks to Jode for all the teamwork effort on helping to make these challenges work! :)

gallery_19549_358_19841.png

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif     Button_Welcome.png    Button_Published.png WT-Button-copy.gif

#2 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

Scrap Girls Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 50,757 posts
  • Personal Statement:Let There Be Peace On Earth and Let It Begin With Me!

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

LOVE the theme of this week's challenge, Marilyn and I absolutely loved your page! I'm already having one of those bad, bad days so maybe at the end of the day when it's all over with I can put it all down and scrap it! Right now I have a full day ahead of me with lots of challenging issues in front of me - one son having surgery, taking my Dad to the hospital too, Chris to his group therapy, and of all things, the cat had surgery yesterday and has to be picked up today. My head is spinning and I'm just waiting for my sweet baby Crawford to get here! I'll tackle this one tonight!

Wish me luck!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 MariJ

MariJ

• Welcoming Committee
  • 17,233 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

Ohhhh.. So sorry to hear about your day(s) Sara. Take care, hang in and don't forget to BREATHE... Hope that making a page will let out some of your creative energy. Hugs.. :)

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif     Button_Welcome.png    Button_Published.png WT-Button-copy.gif

#4 princessrunningfingers

princessrunningfingers

I'll Have You In Stitches In No Time

• Members
  • 17,986 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am an avid stitcher, reader, and of course Scrap Girls Addict.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

I'm going to try to get this done today, and hopefully I am going to be able to go back and do last Thursday's. We moved last week, and even though it was in the same complex, it was a bit stressful, so I missed a lot on SG.

gallery_15063_3635_1064.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG_Olympian.pngBLINKIE_StayCation-Luau.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#5 MariJ

MariJ

• Welcoming Committee
  • 17,233 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

Was thinking of and missed you last Thursday, Joyce! Hope all went well and you are having a more peaceful time now. Looking forward to whatever you can create! :)

#6 zebidee75

zebidee75

Scrapper Friend

• Creative Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Personal Statement:Officially addicted to scrapping and chocolate!

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Awesome challenge - know what i want to do, just need to find time to do it!!!

Hope your day is getting better Sara.

gallery_23370_304_71622.png       Button_Layout.png   Button_Published.png    BLINKIES_UK.gif

#7 lorac

lorac

She Who Walks In Snow Without Shoes

• Members
  • 14,186 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

This is an incredible challenge. I'll have to think on it for awhile until I come up with something to put down on paper. Too many thoughts are swirling around in my head at the moment.

gallery_11036_66_10740.png

BLINKIES_girlfriend.gifSG-9-Anniversary_Spice-Blinkie.gifSG-9-Anniversary-SugarNSpice-Blinkie.gifBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

SHARE THE LOVE GOAL Goal for August 2014, 7194 -- 7156 (1268) as of 8-18-14

#8 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 29,705 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

Great challenge, Marilyn! I'll have to find time to take a stab at this!

#9 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 41,923 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

I'm going to have to come back and revisit these amazing challenges in a few weeks. I'm really missing my scrapping time!

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngWT-Button-copy.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#10 AnnBK

AnnBK

Glitter Goddess

• Members
  • 13,125 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Just had to give this a try, even though I didn't use one the of prompts. And I'm not real sure about the results, but HERE it is.

gallery_6597_304_5120.gif

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#11 AnnBK

AnnBK

Glitter Goddess

• Members
  • 13,125 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

Seeing my page in the gallery allowed me to see what was missing...a title! I've just posted an edited version. I like it better, the title seems to explain everything.

gallery_6597_304_5120.gif

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#12 MariJ

MariJ

• Welcoming Committee
  • 17,233 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

Seeing my page in the gallery allowed me to see what was missing...a title! I've just posted an edited version. I like it better, the title seems to explain everything.

I liked it before, but that sure is a great title, too Ann! :)

#13 Jane in N.Z

Jane in N.Z

• Members
  • 11,314 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

its funny as I started this the other day so only had to add the jourmaling but that wass the hard part. Another great challenge Marilyn :)
Here is mine The storms of life
Posted Image

#14 Bride

Bride

Zippity-Doo-Dah, Zippity-Ay, My oh my it’s a scrappin’ good day

• Creative Team
  • 8,864 posts
  • Personal Statement:Go slow.
    Be God-struck.
    Grant grace.
    Live Truth.
    Give Thanks.
    Become the gift.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

This was really a challenge for me .... but I gave it a go. "to Be"

#15 Actnfunny

Actnfunny

Average Member

• Members
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Here is my contribution. I wish I had done a couple of things differently and I'm sorely tempted to take it back and change them. But no.. I won't. LOL

Temptation
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

• Members
  • 50,757 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

ALWAYS looking for a little peace with NO DRAMA here so HERE is my contribution!

Thanks, Marilyn! I do love your challenges even though I haven't been able to do them all! Your explanations are awesome!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 KnotDreams

KnotDreams

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

I finished my first art journal layout and posted it last night. Here's the link:

http://scrapgirls.ne...-challenge-815/

I did decide that if I'm going to do more of this I need to learn PSE a bit better. (Like how to use brushes and drawing tools to actually "draw" on my page.)
And next sale I'll need to pick up some of the more artsy kits...

I know some of you have already visited the page and left love. Thanks for the encouragement!

Karen

PS: How do you do the short links I see in various posts?

gallery_21105_66_28136.png  BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#18 MariJ

MariJ

• Welcoming Committee
  • 17,233 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

OHhhhh my... I am again in awe of all of the bravery, willingness and gorgeous work everyone is creating! Lovely..... :)

#19 MariJ

MariJ

• Welcoming Committee
  • 17,233 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

I finished my first art journal layout and posted it last night. Here's the link:

http://scrapgirls.ne...-challenge-815/

I did decide that if I'm going to do more of this I need to learn PSE a bit better. (Like how to use brushes and drawing tools to actually "draw" on my page.)
And next sale I'll need to pick up some of the more artsy kits...

I know some of you have already visited the page and left love. Thanks for the encouragement!

Karen

PS: How do you do the short links I see in various posts?

Hi Karen!
Lovely work - I sure did enjoy your first attempt, it's wonderful!

Ok, first.. To post the shorter link, copy the link to your page (as you did above). Then, when you open a box to type your comment (like above when you added your link) look at the top and you will see a smiley face and to the right of it something that looks like...... A link! :) Click that and a box will come up. Paste YOUR link in the top space (URL) and in the bottom (Link Text) whatever you'd like your link to say. (for example the title of your layout or whatever). Then click on "insert link" and that's it!

As for learning about brushes, if you are able during the next sale, I'd suggest this book about brushes - Mastering Brushes for PhotoShop Elements, it's wonderful! It was part of a brush class I took here a while ago and will show you many techniques.

Feel free to PM me or ask here if you have any questions, or post on the Message Board - there are always so many kind and knowledgeable people around to help. And check the newsletter for any chats where you can "talk" (ok, type) live time and ask about things, too!
Hope that helps and glad you are here scrapping! :) Marilyn

#20 princessrunningfingers

princessrunningfingers

I'll Have You In Stitches In No Time

• Members
  • 17,986 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am an avid stitcher, reader, and of course Scrap Girls Addict.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

I finished mine, although I'm not completely happy with it. Here's the link.

Where I Live

gallery_15063_3635_1064.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG_Olympian.pngBLINKIE_StayCation-Luau.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#21 scrapgran

scrapgran

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

I found this very difficult to do. I am not a real artsy person but decided to have a go. I have done personal landscape - Outside My Window
gallery_8570_304_4530.jpg  SGblinkie.gifBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#22 alsoarty

alsoarty

• Creative Team
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

Here is My link - I was not happy with this - but I fussed enough.

gallery_19737_66_34412.gif

Button_Layout.pngSG_LongLive_72_zps19f45c47.gifSG_Olympian.pngMW-2013-Blinkie.gif

#23 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • 21,570 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:41 AM

Here is my layout for the Art Journaling 3. Living the Dream

gallery_19386_314_49430.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifBLINKIES_wise1.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#24 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

• Members
  • 50,757 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Fabulous layouts! What fun this has been, Marilyn! I know your brain is churning thinking about this week's Thursday Challenge! I think we should have one of these every week!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Claireee

Claireee

Scrapper Next Door

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

Here is my layout. This is as therapeutic as traditional journaling. Thanks for the challenge!
Claire

Married to Jason (6/10/06)
Mom to Emery Elizabeth (9/24/11)

Posted Image

#26 Jane in N.Z

Jane in N.Z

• Members
  • 11,314 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

here is another one from me :) Moving