Thursday Challenge August 14 - "art 3" :)

MariJ

Happy Thursday! All the enthusiastic responses and layout creations have convinced me that we need to continue in Art Journaling for yet another week. In case you missed the first two explanations you can find them through these links - Week 1 and Week 2.

In short, Art Journaling is like keeping a written journal, except we use art, symbols, words and no photos. It's usually very artsy with the number one rule being it's all about YOU so "anything goes". In week one we journaled how you were feeling "right now" and week two found us exploring our connection to Nature. For week three I thought we'd focus more on the JOURNALING side of Art Journaling.

I looked through many different Art Journal pages and found that a "stream of consciousness" writing is often used… This means beginning to write and keep going, the main idea being to get parts of yourself down on your page. Suggestions include setting a timer for 5 minutes and writing (in our case typing) -- going as quickly as you can without a lot of thought. If your mind is blank, start your journaling with "My mind is a total blank" or "I don't know what to say" and continue from there. Whatever comes to your mind, just type it down, one sentence, phrase or word after another.

To begin, instead of starting with a "paper" background, this week we're going to begin with our journaling. In "Journal Spilling" by Diana Trout, I found three ideas to help you start --

1. "Secrets and Wishes"

Be awash in your wishes and dreams. Write it all down - large dreams, small dreams, funny or silly; it should flow from heart to hand to page. Let it flow and keep typing for as long as you can or until you feel finished.

2. "Personal Landscape"

Think about where you live and how you feel about this place. It can be where you really live or where you'd like to escape sometime. Did any surprises come out? Remember to just keep typing - without trying to think.

3. "When I Look Into My Eye"

Look deep into yourself. What do you see right now? What does the terrain look like? Feel like? 

Pick one of these prompts and start typing, adding words or phrases - whatever comes to your mind. Try not to judge or think -- just keep writing. Your aim is to produce a paragraph, page or even a few blocks of thoughts. When you are finished, read what you wrote and see how it feels in you.

Go through your stash and find a background that feels suitable to your writing. Open a text box and copy and paste your writing onto your background. Now, here's where your creativity comes in. Is your writing too private to share? You can blend it into the page so that letters, words or thoughts show, but not the entire piece. Change the blending mode so it almost melts into the background or highlight letters, words or parts of them with a different color or size. The point is to make art with your words - make them part of your design. You can even break up your words or sentences and place them around the page. Or repeat them over and over and over - it's up to you!

Next look at your page and decide if there's a "theme" or feeling to it all. Maybe you'd like to type one word BIG on the page or a few small ones all around. Think about symbols that might represent what you journaled. Search through your stash and find pieces that show how you feel or illustrate your words… Add any other pieces you desire and when it feels finished, sit back, admire your work and please post it in the General Message Board Challenge Gallery for us all to see. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Here's my page… Look Into My Eye

and Jode has so kindly created another example - Personal Landscape

Many MANY thanks to Jode for all the teamwork effort on helping to make these challenges work! :)

LOVE the theme of this week's challenge, Marilyn and I absolutely loved your page! I'm already having one of those bad, bad days so maybe at the end of the day when it's all over with I can put it all down and scrap it! Right now I have a full day ahead of me with lots of challenging issues in front of me - one son having surgery, taking my Dad to the hospital too, Chris to his group therapy, and of all things, the cat had surgery yesterday and has to be picked up today. My head is spinning and I'm just waiting for my sweet baby Crawford to get here! I'll tackle this one tonight!

Wish me luck!

I'm going to try to get this done today, and hopefully I am going to be able to go back and do last Thursday's. We moved last week, and even though it was in the same complex, it was a bit stressful, so I missed a lot on SG.

Seeing my page in the gallery allowed me to see what was missing...a title! I've just posted an edited version. I like it better, the title seems to explain everything.

I liked it before, but that sure is a great title, too Ann! :)

ALWAYS looking for a little peace with NO DRAMA here so HERE is my contribution!

Thanks, Marilyn! I do love your challenges even though I haven't been able to do them all! Your explanations are awesome!

I finished my first art journal layout and posted it last night. Here's the link:

http://scrapgirls.net/forum/gallery/image/145213-art-journal-challenge-815/

I did decide that if I'm going to do more of this I need to learn PSE a bit better. (Like how to use brushes and drawing tools to actually "draw" on my page.)

And next sale I'll need to pick up some of the more artsy kits...

I know some of you have already visited the page and left love. Thanks for the encouragement!

Karen

PS: How do you do the short links I see in various posts?

I finished my first art journal layout and posted it last night. Here's the link:

http://scrapgirls.net/forum/gallery/image/145213-art-journal-challenge-815/

I did decide that if I'm going to do more of this I need to learn PSE a bit better. (Like how to use brushes and drawing tools to actually "draw" on my page.)

And next sale I'll need to pick up some of the more artsy kits...

I know some of you have already visited the page and left love. Thanks for the encouragement!

Karen

PS: How do you do the short links I see in various posts?

Hi Karen!

Lovely work - I sure did enjoy your first attempt, it's wonderful!

Ok, first.. To post the shorter link, copy the link to your page (as you did above). Then, when you open a box to type your comment (like above when you added your link) look at the top and you will see a smiley face and to the right of it something that looks like...... A link! :) Click that and a box will come up. Paste YOUR link in the top space (URL) and in the bottom (Link Text) whatever you'd like your link to say. (for example the title of your layout or whatever). Then click on "insert link" and that's it!

As for learning about brushes, if you are able during the next sale, I'd suggest this book about brushes - Mastering Brushes for PhotoShop Elements, it's wonderful! It was part of a brush class I took here a while ago and will show you many techniques.

Feel free to PM me or ask here if you have any questions, or post on the Message Board - there are always so many kind and knowledgeable people around to help. And check the newsletter for any chats where you can "talk" (ok, type) live time and ask about things, too!

Hope that helps and glad you are here scrapping! :) Marilyn

Fabulous layouts! What fun this has been, Marilyn! I know your brain is churning thinking about this week's Thursday Challenge! I think we should have one of these every week!

Archived