Template Question

ScrapGram

How come when I clip a photo to a mask on a template and then merge the layers, sometimes the photo disappears and sometimes it doesn't? I have never been able to figure out why this occurs some of the time. Often on the same template, some of the photos will disappear when I merge them with the mask under it and some don't.

I kind of get the opinion it is the program you are using. Wish I could wave a wand for you! My program seems stuborn to allow me to merge down.

Have you tried "Merge Down" as opposed to "Merge Layers"?

Also, I am sure you are paying attention to where the layers are, but once in awhile if you try to merge layers together and one of the layers you are trying to merge is on TOP of a layer that might block the visibility of underneath layers, it will seem to disappear, but it's really just not visible because it's under something else.

That was a REALLY long sentence! HTH!

Does the layer have a separate mat underneath? Isn't that covering up the photo. Maybe you should merge the mat and photo before you try merging the photos. Don't know if I understood the question right?

Thanks for your responses everyone. Brandy, the mask doesn't have any effects added. Just the mats that come on the templates for photo placement. Jennifer, everytime I use merge down it merges all of the layers, not just the ones I have highlighted. Belle, the layer doesn't have a separate mat underneath. It is just a LO template with the mask for the photo placement. Dixie, I forgot to mention what I use, but it is PSE 11, but it also occurred when I used PSE 10, so maybe it is the program.

I have a second question related to the first and actually the reason I asked the first. The reason I try to merge the layers, is because when I attempt to put a SG Shadow Style for the photo, it un-clips the photo if the two layers are not merged. Then the only way I can put a shadow on the photo is if I do it manually. I have learned how to do that, but I am lazy and really like the SG Shadow Style that I have! It is soooooo easy to use, except when a photo is clipped to a mask. I have tried holding down the shift key when applying the shadow style, but it still unclips the photo. Is there another secret to adding a shadow style when a layer is clipped to the layer below it?

Thanks!

Have you tried applying the shadow style to the mask layer, or are you applying it to the photo layer?

Also, are your photo masks linked to something else? (There will be a little icon of a chain next to it if this is the case?) If the layer is linked to something else, when you merge it, it will merge all the linked layers.

Hi Karen, I don't know if this is any help, but when I want to add a shadow to a photo that has been clipped to a mask, as Jennifer mentioned, I have to apply the shadow to the mask layer and not the photo layer. I use PSE 11 now and have done this in other versions of PSE also. HTH

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. I always add the shadow to the mask layer, but when I do that, it unclips the photo every time. But, I just figured out something that works! I tried adding the shadow to the mask BEFORE clipping the photo to it and that works!! Thanks again everyone. All your suggestions helped me think it through.

Archived