This Should Be So Much Easier..help

shellie44

I am confused with working on my first photobook for my nephews new born son. I have read so many problems with people choosing the wrong size of layout and when they go to save it to their book the page sizing are off and you lose a lot from your pages. First question what size should I work with using PSE 9.0 and what size should I save it to. And then I am thinking about using shutterfly for my photo book and what size should I choose to save my pages to.

Thanks Shelley

Hi Shelllie,

The page size depends on what your preferred photobook page size is. It may be 12x12 inches or 8 1/2 x 11 inches portrait orientation or 8 1/2 x 11 inches landscape orientation. Whatever size you prefer, the important thing is that the resolution should be 300 pixels per inch which can be set up when you create a new photoshop document. Hope that helps! Don't be discouraged. Putting together a photobook is a lot of work but the results are satisfying!

Another tip is to keep important embellishments, photos, etc away from the edges just incase there is some cropping. I usually keep things 1/4 inch from the edges unless I don't care about it being cropped.

Hi, Shelley,

If you have a WalMart PhotoCentre nearby, bring your JPGs on a memory stick. You are not obligated to purchase anything when you try out their picture kiosk and play with making a photobook. A employee can help you navigate the options.

It can be fun and informative.

Looks like you got some good advice, Shelley. Not knowing your experience, (pardon me if you already know this) if I know I'm going to be using a book format, when I set my pages up to scrap I will put horizontal and vertical grid lines 1/4 inch all the way around my page so that I don't scrap anything beyond those grid lines and risk the chance of losing something that is important to my layout. I will also scrap 12x12 even if I think I'll be printing at 8x8 or 6x6 JUST in case I change my mind and want to print at 12x12 ... that way I don't risk any chance of losing/distorting any page by increasing size. I find it easier to scrap large and shrink down rather than the opposite.

Looks like you got some good advice, Shelley. Not knowing your experience, (pardon me if you already know this) if I know I'm going to be using a book format, when I set my pages up to scrap I will put horizontal and vertical grid lines 1/4 inch all the way around my page so that I don't scrap anything beyond those grid lines and risk the chance of losing something that is important to my layout. I will also scrap 12x12 even if I think I'll be printing at 8x8 or 6x6 JUST in case I change my mind and want to print at 12x12 ... that way I don't risk any chance of losing/distorting any page by increasing size. I find it easier to scrap large and shrink down rather than the opposite.

Great tip about the 1/4 inch grid lines - they make perfect guides to be sure things aren't lost. I agree about scrapping 12x12 then sizing down. I always scrap 12x12 and usually print 8x8. ;)

Shelley:

I use Blurb.com to print my photobooks. I've made a number, some with right at 300 pages. I am very happy with the quality of the books and the pricing is terrific! It's almost always possible to find a discount coupon. I make my layouts using their dimensions for the pages and also for the cover. I use the 10 X 8 landscape format. For some reason, it's difficult for me to scrap in the 8 X 10 portrait format. The Blurb software also indicates what areas of the layout might be cut off or might not be visible due to the binding. That's real helpful to me.

Barbara

Archived