Thursday Challenge August 29 - "art 5" :)

MariJ

Art Journaling: Week FIVE -- who knew? Most certainly not me who had plans for a month filled with various Thursday "Art Challenges". But I was glad to continue as it was heartwarming to see how ScrapGirls dove into that first week and then asked for more! Thanks for all your kind comments, support and participation this month. It's been a wonderful experience to be a part of and I'm excited the challenges were enjoyed and to have shared in our beautiful and touching creations! :)

Ok, for those just joining, Art Journaling is a journal made from pieces of art, not written words and typically uses symbols, words and colors but no photos. It's number one rule is it's all about YOU so "anything goes".

In our ScrapGirls digital journey this month we've: Week 1 - scrapped how we felt "right now"; Week 2 showed our connection to nature; Week 3 journaled to one of three prompts and Week 4 created a page about a special sense memory.

So, how do we top that? I've thought long and hard about our "Grand Finale" and decided it should be an "Autobiography". Where's the challenge, you ask? (DID you??). I researched, read and found some interesting ideas. Julie Balzer talks about Hemingway's "6 word story" and shares a link to a "Live From the NYPL" program where Paul Holdengräber asks his guests to provide a personal micro-biography to use as their introduction. These range from "the literal, the abstract, the sarcastic or the poetic". But the trick? They can only use SEVEN words! 7 Word Autobiography

So, since there are 5 weeks in August here's your challenge. Find 5 words that describe or tell the story of, or about you. These words don't have to sum you up entirely but could portray a part of you, for instance five words that describe your favorite things, your ambitions, interests, or even a personality trait. . Your words can either tell a short story (sentence) or be independent of each other but your words should tell a story about YOU.

Once you decide on your 5 words, create a background that represents you. Remember you can blend, crop, pile, color or scribble on your page - it's yours. Next look through your stash to find symbols, art or words that describe or represent your words and you. You can even do an online image search to find pieces, but remember photographs typically aren't used in Art Journaling. And if you get stuck (honest, I do each week) just throw pieces on the page, then go back and "play" with them. When you are finished, please post your completed layout in the General Message Board Challenge Gallery so we can all share and comment.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Again thanks for all the wonderful comments and enthusiastic support and participation this month. Many have asked for the Art Journal Challenges to be continued and while it can't be weekly, look for a possible Monthly Art Journaling Chat and Challenge. Would you come? :) We need to know if a chat would be supported, so please feel free to let us know in this thread along with any time and day ideas. Thank you!

Here's my layout: "M" Autobiography 

And Jode has created one also found HERE. Many thanks, Jode for your input and talents all month and for helping to make this challenge happen.

Oh, yay! Love this challenge, Marilyn! I still have to tweak my swap for Diane, but I'll get to work on this wonderful challenge sometime today between play with Crawford and his naps! The ideas are already running thru my head!

Love this idea!

A monthly Art Journal chat and challenge would be super cool. Wednesday evening's are the best for me, but I'm flexible. I've really enjoyed the challenges this month, and today's is another great one. Thank you Marilyn for keeping them coming all month long. I'm off to create some masterpieces.

Marilyn thanks for all your wonderful challenges and tutorials on art journaling this month - you have truly opened up a whole new world to SG. I would love a monthly art journaling chat/challenge - was wondering if sometime at the weekend might be more inclusive of the various time zones around the world?

Oh, goody, goody! I will definitely be doing a page (or two) for this challenge. I'm out with the hiking group this morning, a good time for some "mobile meditation" to try to figure out what I want to do. Thanks again Marilyn, I think these challenges have totally changed my scrapping style (if I ever had one!). And I would ABSOLUTELY love a monthly challenge/chat.

For everyone who love art journalling and for those who'd love to try, Syndee has some new templates in the boutique.

SNU_SSDLT_ArtJournl_MKTG150.jpgScrapSimple Digital Layout Templates: Art Journal, designed by Syndee Nuckles

I just spotted those Valerie and dumped them right into my cart. There's actually a lot of Art Journaling and collage supplies in the Boutique, I should make a list, HMmmmmmm......

For everyone who love art journalling and for those who'd love to try, Syndee has some new templates in the boutique.

SNU_SSDLT_ArtJournl_MKTG150.jpgScrapSimple Digital Layout Templates: Art Journal, designed by Syndee Nuckles

I just spotted those Valerie and dumped them right into my cart. There's actually a lot of Art Journaling and collage supplies in the Boutique, I should make a list, HMmmmmmm......

Did you know there is a 7 page Art Journaling category in the Boutique? Look under Categories>Shop by Theme>Misc>Art Journaling. It's a fun category! ;)

I'd love an art journaling chat too! This is a busy weekend for me - it's Apple Festival weekend here and Rich and I are both working downtown during the festival so I'm still working on my art journaling layout! Seems like I'm always the last one to get mine in! :) As much as I love these challenges, I do struggle a bit with them but once I really get started it all comes together quickly! LOVE them!

I've been catching up after a week out of town, so I didn't get this done until this afternoon.

As you can see by the title, I expanded on the challenge and used seven words, but three of them are very short! Well, actually I used quite a few other words too. (I'm really thankful that I keep reading that there are no rules to art journaling!)

These art journal challenges are really forcing me to experiment with some different techniques, and I'm enjoying that. I'd love to see it continue as a monthly event, but I'm not really clear on what the "chat" portion of the challenge means. I've never taken part in an online chat.

Seven Words

I've been catching up after a week out of town, so I didn't get this done until this afternoon.

As you can see by the title, I expanded on the challenge and used seven words, but three of them are very short! Well, actually I used quite a few other words too. (I'm really thankful that I keep reading that there are no rules to art journaling!)

These art journal challenges are really forcing me to experiment with some different techniques, and I'm enjoying that. I'd love to see it continue as a monthly event, but I'm not really clear on what the "chat" portion of the challenge means. I've never taken part in an online chat.

Seven Words

Hi! I have sent you a pm all about chats and what to expect, most important things you need to know are that we type not talk and that they are FUN!!!

let me know if you have any questions, once we finalize we will let everyone know details :-)

The only trouble I have with chats is the time difference & trying to work out what the actual time will be here in Queensland.

I understand Laraine, I am in Adelaide!! At present we are on winter time so you are half hour ahead of me which means you will take off 14 hours... Take off 2 and change am to pm and you have east coast time :-) it changes with their daylight savings (you don't have any so it is easier!) but you can always ask me :-) I have an app on my phone too so if we get stuck we can check that *grin*

Great Jody, now work out SAT as well. The chat times never work for me either. If we have one in the am ET, then everybody is still at work, if we have one PM ET, then England, Sa and Australia are asleep. Hard to fit everybody in. Maybe we could do one month in the am and one inthe pm. Would that work?

Hi Marilyn,

I think this series has resulted in some extrardinary LOs. Personally I find these very challenging; so I would like to step out of my "comfort zone" to join in more often. A monthly challenge would be fun. I'm afraid I can't commit to a chat; time zones, work, study and life just insist on interfering with my scrap life. Thanks for a great series of challenges.

Great Jody, now work out SAT as well. The chat times never work for me either. If we have one in the am ET, then everybody is still at work, if we have one PM ET, then England, Sa and Australia are asleep. Hard to fit everybody in. Maybe we could do one month in the am and one inthe pm. Would that work?

That is a really interesting idea Belle... as that too would suit a lot of us..NZ, Australia, Europe... I will speak to Marilyn about it some more....

Chats are always posted at the bottom of the newsletter so that could be a good solution.... And challenges will always be open to all... to complete when they can... :-)

That is a really interesting idea Belle... as that too would suit a lot of us..NZ, Australia, Europe... I will speak to Marilyn about it some more....

Chats are always posted at the bottom of the newsletter so that could be a good solution.... And challenges will always be open to all... to complete when they can... :-)

Oh I have added you to my app too! So I will always know what time it is there for you Belle! Currently you are exactly 6 hours ahead of ET. I will keep an eye on it when planning chats with Marilyn :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived