Saturday 9/7/13 Color Challenge

alsoarty

When I was a senior in High School, my art teacher tried to pursued the class that white is not a color. If you think about it - it's not in the color wheel, neither is black. But "Black can be made by mixing some of the colors until you have black. So what about white? While you can not mix colors to make a white of any color. So is white a color?

Leonardo da Vinci was the first to suggest an alternative hierarchy of color. In his Treatise on Painting, he said that while philosophers viewed white as the "cause, or the receiver" of colors and black as the absence of color, both were essential to the painter, with white representing light, and black, darkness. He listed his six colors in the following order: white, yellow (earth), green (water), blue (air), red (fire), and black… so he added GREEN to the primary colors of red, yellow, and blue."

Pantone is the international system of color matching. Pantone Matching System (PMS), a Proprietary Color Space used in a variety of industries, primarily printing, though sometimes in the manufacture of colored paint, fabric, and plastics.

I can go on about color - endlessly - I love learning about color and learning about it. so for today's challenge I chose the color EMERALD (a green because of Leornardo, and all greens happen to be my favorite color) it is also Pantone's color of the year" 2013.

"Lively. Radiant. Lush… A color of elegance and beauty that enhances our sense of well-being, balance and harmony."

PANTONE 17-5641 Emerald, a lively, radiant, lush green, is the Color of the Year for 2013.

Pantone number : 17-5641

Adobe Picker number: 019875

You can add any color to the Emerald, I chose Black and White since they are not on the color wheel, but I, personally cannot create anything without either of those two "colors".

Please remember to post your layouts in the Saturday Color Challenge Gallery!

Enjoy! Have fun, I'm excited to see what additional color you add to the Emerald.

Being Groovy

post-19737-0-53477200-1378571384_thumb.jpg

Archived