Adding Text To Wrinkled Paper

LauraYB

I'm using MRE_Lifed_Journal_Wrinkled. How do I make the text look like it had been written before the paper was wrinkled. Currently, the text is unrealistically straight and doesn't follow peaks and valleys of the wrinkles

Using PS CS2 and PSE 11.

Thanks!

post-23296-0-31684700-1378584073_thumb.jpg

I woke up way too early so I am half asleep but try this: play with the color burn or multiply blend modes, you may even need to make an extra layer and use 2 blend modes... If the text still looks too straight you could try the Transform edit under Image I think and skew it a little? Or Free transform? They would be my first ideas... Good luck Laura!

Laura this is a really good question. I have been trying to think of a good tutorial idea and you just gave me one. But here's the best way I know how to do this.

I don't know if CS2 has the Displace Filter under Filters. If it does, it should be under Filter>Distort>Displace

The first thing you should do is save your paper like it is before the text as a PSD file. Then rasterize your text (or simplify) then use the filter>Distort>Displace.

Try 10 and 10 on the first go and stretch to fit & wrap around, when you hit ok it will prompt you to open a file. Choose the PSD file you saved of your paper. You will see a difference as the text warps to fit the contours of your paper. You may have to play around with the settings.

Here's one I played with to show you (see attached)

Can you see which one used the filter?

post-9429-0-35853900-1378586738_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Brandy. I can see the first line of your example has the filter applied. It looks good! This would definitely be a great tutorial for the newsletter.

Now, let's see if I can get my text to look as good as yours does so I can get my Slow Scrap project finished! :disappearing-smilie:/>

Your help is truly appreciated! From you and Jode, I've learned how to apply some cool effects today!! :bighug:/>

Laura

Whenever I need to adjust my text to fit the page I use the warped text feature. Try Flag,Wave,Fish, Rise or one of the others. It makes it look just a little more realistic when the page is bent or warped. I also have PSE.

Yes, PSE -- even older versions -- has the displace filter, too, and it works pretty much as Brandy described. Also the boutique sells a helpful video about displacement using a brick wall as it's rough surface: How To Create an Old Wall Mural.

I just saw this topic, but will try it out in PSE and give you the step-by-step, if you need it. Let me know.

Your text distortion steps work same way in PSE 10 (I can't get PSE 11 to start this a.m.)!! I believe this lesson is going to open new doors for me as delve into some of these intriguing menus that I've always been afraid to touch.

Thanks to ALL of you for the great suggestions! I'm so happy--going to go experiment on other textured papers!

Ooo what a great question Laura and what fabulous help from Jody and Brandy - shall be saving those under my 'useful tips' folder!

Following comments on PSE/CS and cost - my husband recently discovered that we could download CS2 for free from the internet (completely legitimately apparently) - something to do with people complaining about some new licences, so Adobe has released CS2 for free as it's quite old now. So for those of you who would like to try out CS2 it might be worth a search on the internet......

That's great to know Anna. I meet many people who are interested in digital scrapbooking, but are afraid of the initial cost of the programs. Not a lot to us, because we know how much we use them, but remember deciding to take that plunge?

Here is another way: (don't you love how there's more than one way to do something in PS/E?)

I know this works in PS, but I don't see why it wouldn't be available in the Elements version, too.

When you are done typing your text over your paper, go to your layers palette and click on the FX icon and then select "Blending Options." All the way at the bottom of the menu you will see a slider bar called "Underlying Layer." On that bar you will see two little icons that look like very tiny houses -- a black one and a white one. Hold the ALT key down and click and pull on one side of one of the icons to pull it apart. Do the same with the other one. Slide these little triangles along the bar until you get the effect you like.

Also, you will probably end up keeping the black icons over close to the left side, but the white ones are the ones that work their magic. Usually, what gives me the effect I like is if one white one is close to the middle and the other one is closer to the right.

HTH!

:)

Is there a way to tag this thread so I can find it later? I want to try all of these tips and tricks. Just the other day I was trying to do this very thing and I got frustrated and gave up. :) So now when I have some time I will definitely play with this!

Is there a way to tag this thread so I can find it later? I want to try all of these tips and tricks. Just the other day I was trying to do this very thing and I got frustrated and gave up. smile.gif So now when I have some time I will definitely play with this!

Amy, best to copy the info in a text doc and save it. I don't know a way to pin the thread, without it being pinned for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhh...I am releasing an action this week to make your text look natural on wrinkled, creased or textured paper!!

**It does NOT work in PSE, though. It only works in full versions of PS -- the functions that the action uses aren't included in any version of PSE. (Sorry, PSE users! :( )

Ahhhh...I am releasing an action this week to make your text look natural on wrinkled, creased or textured paper!!

**It does NOT work in PSE, though. It only works in full versions of PS -- the functions that the action uses aren't included in any version of PSE. (Sorry, PSE users! :(/> )

I love your action Jennifer! It was so easy to get a realistic looking text on a ribbon!

I'm also happy that it works in my Swedish version of PS CC, many actions don't.

**It does NOT work in PSE, though. It only works in full versions of PS -- the functions that the action uses aren't included in any version of PSE. (Sorry, PSE users! :(/>/> )

I love your action Jennifer! It was so easy to get a realistic looking text on a ribbon!

I'm also happy that it works in my Swedish version of PS CC, many actions don't.

Thanks, Lena!!! I am so happy that it's working for you!

Archived