10 replies to this topic

#1 notsosavvy

notsosavvy

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

I want to backup my photos. I have over 259 folders with sub folders inside. A lot of pics. Do you have any idea how large a flash drive I would need to hold all of them? The largest one I have now is 16G. I do have Carbonite,but would like another way to back them up.

#2 ValerieT

ValerieT

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• TOU Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
  • Personal Statement:Mad as a hatter, with the patience of a saint!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

My photos folder is just over 11GB. So your folder may fit. I use windows 7 If I select all the folders then right click and choose properties it tells me the approximate size of all the folders together (does that make sense?).

You could spread the folders over two flash drives if one is not big enough.

WorldTourSiggy-1.png

BLINKIES_UK.gifButton_Welcome.pngButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifSecondHomeBlinkieGIF.gif?t=1352459462

#3 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 42,064 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

My photo folder is 343 GB. I use an external drive as one of my back-ups. I also have them saved to a second internal drive, a drive in the safe deposit box and I upload to smugmug.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#4 notsosavvy

notsosavvy

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

My photos folder is just over 11GB. So your folder may fit. I use windows 7 If I select all the folders then right click and choose properties it tells me the approximate size of all the folders together (does that make sense?).

You could spread the folders over two flash drives if one is not big enough.

#5 notsosavvy

notsosavvy

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Thank you Valerie, I did not know about checking the size of the folder. I have over 20 G in there,so I'm thinking I need about 32G flash drive

#6 notsosavvy

notsosavvy

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

My photo folder is 343 GB. I use an external drive as one of my back-ups. I also have them saved to a second internal drive, a drive in the safe deposit box and I upload to smugmug.

#7 notsosavvy

notsosavvy

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

April thank you, can you suggest a good external hard drive? I bought one but it wants to back up my whole system and that is not what I want it to do. I want to be manually put only files there that I want

#8 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 42,064 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

April thank you, can you suggest a good external hard drive? I bought one but it wants to back up my whole system and that is not what I want it to do. I want to be manually put only files there that I want

I don't use the software that comes with the drive. You can simply drag and drop your photo folder to the new drive and it will copy them all over. It may take a while, depending on the type of USB port you're using, but that is what I do.

I do use a synching software to update the files when I add new photos. I use WMatch from PC Magazine because my husband has a subscription. SynchToy is a free one that does pretty much the same thing.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#9 notsosavvy

notsosavvy

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

I don't use the software that comes with the drive. You can simply drag and drop your photo folder to the new drive and it will copy them all over. It may take a while, depending on the type of USB port you're using, but that is what I do.

I do use a synching software to update the files when I add new photos. I use WMatch from PC Magazine because my husband has a subscription. SynchToy is a free one that does pretty much the same thing.

#10 notsosavvy

notsosavvy

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

I guess I don't know how to bypass the software. It just started backing up my system. I don't remember an option to not do this. I uninstalled it 'cause there was no off button. I'll go back and try it again. Thanks for your help.

#11 KFiasco

KFiasco

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

I have an E Book. Don't know if that is the brand name, but I have had it for 10 years and love it. When I plug it in to my laptop I can just go to my computer and use it like another hard drive. It definately doesn't back up everytime I plug it in.

I know you can buy drives with a huge amount of storage.

Karen
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users