Adding Layer Styles To Elements 9

emily545

I recently bought Brandy Murray's Emboss and Engrave layer styles. But for some reason I cannot get it to show up in my Elements 9 folder. I've gone online and found countless tutorials but nothing works. I added styles before but never with this much drama. I did notice that there was no metadata file with the download. Could this be the problem? Someone please help me.

i imagine your frustration, someone will come along and help you....happy that you could join SG and I wish you many happy hours creating your layouts.

I recently bought Brandy Murray's Emboss and Engrave layer styles. But for some reason I cannot get it to show up in my Elements 9 folder. I've gone online and found countless tutorials but nothing works. I added styles before but never with this much drama. I did notice that there was no metadata file with the download. Could this be the problem? Someone please help me.

First, if you are on a PC and Windows Vista or Windows 7, be sure you have copied the asl file(s) to:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\9.0\Photo Creations\layer styles

If you are sure you’ve correctly installed the style(s), and they are still not showing up you will need to rebuild your database. This is done simply, so Photoshop Elements will recognize your newly installed items. To do this, delete the MediaDatabase.db3 file which will be found in the following path:

C: > ProgramData> Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 9.0 > Locale > en_us.

You will also want to delete the ThumbDatabase.db3 file which can be found in the following path:

C: > ProgramData> Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 9.0

Then re-start PSE and allow the database to rebuild. (When I used PSE 9, this used to take up to 15-20 minutes.) After the database has finished rebuilding, the styles should appear in the layer styles palette. HTH

NOTE: If you are using Windows XP, or if you are on a MAC, the paths are different, so let us know. More information can be found in the free ebook: Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook (Free ScrapSimple basics eBook)

• 1 year later...

Bumping up this topic.

I'm still using PSE 9 but in June I purchased a new PC that is running WIN 8.1. I have some styles that are not showing up, even though I was sure I added them to the same location as in WIN Vista. The installation path has probably changed, but I've no Idea where to put them now. When I click on some of them I get an error message that the "file isn't compatible with this version of PSE" which I know it is. Or, a message that I don't have enough RAM, which I know I do.

Right now I'm specifically trying to use SNU_SSTools_Styles_GlitterEdge6301.

All advice gratefully accepted! Thanks in advanvce. :)

Bumping up this topic.

I'm still using PSE 9 but in June I purchased a new PC that is running WIN 8.1. I have some styles that are not showing up, even though I was sure I added them to the same location as in WIN Vista. The installation path has probably changed, but I've no Idea where to put them now. When I click on some of them I get an error message that the "file isn't compatible with this version of PSE" which I know it is. Or, a message that I don't have enough RAM, which I know I do.

Right now I'm specifically trying to use SNU_SSTools_Styles_GlitterEdge6301.

All advice gratefully accepted! Thanks in advanvce. :)

Hi Becky, After installing the styles, did you delete the MediaDatabse.db3 and ThumbDataBase.db3 files and allow PSE to rebuild the database as mentioned in post # 3 above?

Since you are using Windows 8, the path may be different than what's shown, but I'm thinking it should be something similar - you may have to just look for it. The main thing is to close PSE first, then find the MediaDataBase.db3 and ThumbDataBase.db3 files and delete them. Then re-start PSE and allow it to rebuild the database. Hope this is some help to you. Good luck :)

I'm going to have to look in my recycle bin and see if those two files are still there, because now nothing is showing up. Eek!

Becky, after you deleted the files, did you restart PSE and allow it to rebuild the database? Some times it takes a while. Mine has taken up to 20+ minutes. Then when it's finished rebuilding, the styles panel shows up. the new MediatDatabase.db3 and ThumbDatabase.db3 files will be back in place.

First, if you are on a PC and Windows Vista or Windows 7, be sure you have copied the asl file(s) to:

I have my styles back! Instead of the path shown above I had to put mine into:

Windows (C:) / Program Files (x86) /Adobe / PhotoShop Elements 9 / Presets / Styles

I have my styles back! Instead of the path shown above I had to put mine into:

Windows (C:) / Program Files (x86) /Adobe / PhotoShop Elements 9 / Presets / Styles

YAY! So glad you have them back!! :party-smiley-048:

Hmm, It's interesting that the path is different. The earlier path that I had given in the post you quoted came from page 174 in the Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook. I just did some checking and it looks like both that path and the one you used take me to the same place. I'm on Windows 7. I don't know if Windows 8 makes the difference or not. Anyway, glad to hear you have them back again! :)

Archived