How do you create the "torn" edges look

Guest Ro

There are several different ways. Tonya does it differnet than I do, for example.

I use an eraser brush to remove the part I want to look torn away. I then duplicate that layer, and I move the bottom layer out from underneath a little bit, like 6 arrow nudges or so, and go to Image>Adjustments>Color/Brightness (or whatever that one's called) and lighten the bottom layer a lot to look like white core. Then I go back in and erase the bottom torn layer a little more, in varying widths, for a more realistic look. Throw a shadow on the bottom layer, and Voila!

Guest gauchogirl
I use the eraser with a round brush and just erase away the edge in an irregular fashion (a littlw wavy, etc...) then I load the selection (cntrl+click on it's layer), switch to the brush tool and use a soft edge round brush with opacity set to 90-95% and draw again along the edge, varying it from the edge already there. I noticed when I tear papers, the two edges (where it is right against the paper and where the edge actually is) aren't parallel, so that's why I do each on it's own. And it's super fast, takes only about 15-30 seconds to do a whole edge!
[img]http://www.gauchogirl.com/edge.jpg[/img]

HTH! t

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Yo,Viv Babe!
Ro,
You should create some torn edges that can be used on anything and sell the torn edge. We would all download it!!

Viv

Guest gauchogirl
This has been tried, but in my opinion, unsuccesfully, on other sites. I'm not sure if it can be done realistically.
t

Guest gauchogirl
LMAO, Is this a challenge? Because it's 12:30 here and I'm at home for lunch. But I bet ya a dollar I can get back to work and have it to Ro in an hour <eg> I work best under pressure!
t

(that is, a sheet of eyelets in a multitude of colors.)

but who's going to cut them out, i mean really---they have to be all digital, eh? and you go tonya, today is spray mount day and here i am again, avoiding the real work: spray mounting 100 sheets and trimming out everything with an exacto!----especially since my power was supposed to be off AND it's NOT!

go Tonya go!

Guest gauchogirl
OK, I'm done. It's 1:33, but since it was really 12:34 when I typed that response, I still made it in an hour. Ro, I can upload the PNG file when you're ready and have the codes for it. :)
t

ps, I guess these are digital only, because V is right, no cutting these out!

Archived