Unzipping Files

Pepsi Girl

Ok so I've been watching my new video and I learned about unzipping the files I downloaded. My question is when I do the extract all, it opens it but it also leaves the zipped one so now I have two of the same file, is that normal?

Hi Pepsi Girl! In answer to your question, yes, that is normal. You can decide to keep the zipped file or not, once you have unzipped it. It's up to you. Some people keep the zipped files as their backup system, since that file is already compressed in a smaller size, so it takes up less room. Others delete them once they've been unzipped and back up the regular files.

Hope that helps! :)

At the end of each month I move my zipped files which I have placed in a folder with the name of the month and year and keep them in an external harddrive. But I also on a different external harddrive I also back up the opened files.

Ok so I've been watching my new video and I learned about unzipping the files I downloaded. My question is when I do the extract all, it opens it but it also leaves the zipped one so now I have two of the same file, is that normal?

Yes it's normal you can keep or can delete one which you don't want in your system.

I'm in the group that keeps both too. Like Belle, I keep all the zips on an External Hard Drive. You'd be surprised how often I refer to them. Usually it's when I think I bought something, but realize I never unzipped it! LOL!

At the moment I'm in the group that deletes the zip files. I don't have room on my hardrive or EHD to keep both. I don't have just my scrap supplies backed up on my EHD.

I'm with the keep both files group. I have a 3TB external where I keep everything, (SG stash, layouts, challenges, photos, etc). My programs and other software is kept on my 'C' drive. Then I have everything backed-up off-site by Carbonite.

I save my zip files too. Sometimes I discover (like Amy) that I never unzipped one of my purchases! It's also good backup in case I accidentally delete some files. Or if I'm working with templates or altering a product, and forget to save it as a different name, I've accidentally saved over the original file... so I can go back to the zip file and recover the originals. :)

I am one of the ones who don't save zip files, but after reading this, maybe I should! Too late now though because I have a lot of stuff without the associated zips. I have never missed having them. Whatever makes you comfortable. You might want to save them for awhile to see if you ever need them before deleting them.

I'm in the "save my zip files" camp. I have on occasion dumped capital and lower case alphas into the same file, only to find they were named the same, and the second wrote over the first set. I have also messed up a template by failing to "save as." Lastly, I keep all my zips in one file, and that makes it easier to check and see if I have purchased something already. That doesn't save me all the time, but it does when I remember to check. :)

Archived