Iphoto...too Many Photos!

Discoemom

I'm sure this is a topic that has been discussed before, but my iPhoto is bursting at the seams!!! I have 90,000 photos and scrap book downloads all in iPhoto. I read about Aperture & spent $$$ downloading it onto my computer only to find out that the new version mirrors iPhoto. I was planning to put all of my photos in Aperture & then leave iPhoto with just my scrap girls graphics. Now if you delete something from iPhoto, it will also be deleted from Aperture. My iPhoto is starting to shut down frequently & I am wanting to do something before I have a bigger issue on my hands. I would like to separate my design graphics from my photos & would love any advice on how to do this. Thanks for any help!

Hi and welcome to ScrapGirls. I store only photos in iPhoto also. All of my scrapbooking supplies are store in a folder named "SCRAPBOOKING" (clever, huh?) in my Documents folder. Inside the scrapbook folder I store all my supplies by purchases in separate folders. Like Ann, I store all my collections together in one piece.

Welcome to Scrap Girls! I store all my photos and supplies on an ehd. I have a filing system that works for me for finding photos and I use ACDsee for my supplies so I can find what I want faster (ie, a button or green paper). Good luck with whatever you decide to use!

Hello, and welcome to Scrap Girls! I am assuming that you're using iPhoto on a Mac. I have all my photos, SG wish list products, favorite layouts from the gallery, and marketing images of products I've purchased stored in iPhoto - but not in the same library. You can create new libraries by holding down the option key while clicking on the iPhoto icon, and then clicking on the "create new library" button. This is also how you access the assorted libraries - click on the "choose" button. I haven't had a library slow down or stall, although recently one sent a message that it needed repair, and then turned up empty. But Time Machine restored it.

Each year, I create a new library for that year's photos, and move the past year to an EHD. And although I have Time Machine, I back up my current photo library every month or so. The libraries for products and wish lists remain on the hard drive. The products themselves are stored on the EHD in folders, and backed up to DVD when I've accumulated enough to fill a disc; I keep a folder on the desk top to collect the new products. Only the marketing images, and perhaps a sample LO or two, are in the product library. I don't bother to back up the wish list, as its loss would not be catastrophic. :P

I keep the library for favorite LOs on the EHD.

I've found that the O'Reilly series of "missing manual" books is invaluable for clarifying how to use varying aspects of iPhoto, and other electronic devices, as I prefer to have a book open beside me as I struggle through new programs, rather than flitting back and forth between the program and the help menus (which often aren't too helpful.)

Hope this helps! If you have questions, send me a message.

Archived