6 replies to this topic

#1 Scrappin_LYB

Scrappin_LYB

I Made it! I'm a Top-Dog Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

Instead of having simply a colored stroke around the outside of a photo, can a style be applied to give texture/color/etc.? Or does an underlying layer have to be created. I like the outline stroke that I can give my photos, but seeking a more visually interesting line. Thanks!!

gallery_23296_66_50280.png
BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#2 teecee

teecee

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• TOU Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,441 posts
  • Personal Statement:Miracles happen to those who believe in them.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hi Laura,

Yes, you can apply a style to a stroke outline. You will want to create the stroke on its own layer, then apply the style. Here is a link to a post by Anna with more info about this: Post #13. HTH

#3 lorac

lorac

She Who Walks In Snow Without Shoes

• Members
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

Hi Laura,

Yes, you can apply a style to a stroke outline. You will want to create the stroke on its own layer, then apply the style. Here is a link to a post by Anna with more info about this: Post #13. HTH

I followed the directions in Post 13, but unfortunately it doesn't work in PSE11.

Any suggestions?

gallery_11036_66_10740.png

BLINKIES_girlfriend.gifSG-9-Anniversary_Spice-Blinkie.gifSG-9-Anniversary-SugarNSpice-Blinkie.gifBLINKIES_membmonth.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

SHARE THE LOVE GOAL Goal for July 2014, 7133 -- 7119 (1231) as of 7-22-14

#4 teecee

teecee

• TOU Administrator
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hi Laura,

I followed the directions in Post 13, but unfortunately it doesn't work in PSE11.

Any suggestions?

Hi Carol, I just tried it in PSE 11 and it worked for me.

1. Hold down the CTRL key while clicking on the thumbnail image of the photo in the layers palette. This puts marching ants around the photo.
2. Create a new blank layer and place it above the photo layer.
3. Be sure the new blank layer is active (highlighted) and go to Edit>Stroke (Outline) Selection and create your stroke. (You want to be sure the stroke is wide enough so that when you apply a style, it can be seen. Just to test it, I created one in black and 35 pixels wide.)
4. Press CTRL + D to deselect the marching ants.
5. With the stroke layer active, apply the style of your choice. Just to test, good ones to try are any of these PSE default styles: Complex, Glass Buttons, Inner Glows, Patterns, Wow Chrome, Wow Neon, Wow Plastic.

Remember, you can also play with style settings by double clicking the little fx symbol on the layer and you can adjust the scale by going to Layer>Layer Style>Scale Effects.

Let me know if this helps, or if you are still stuck. :)

#5 lorac

lorac

• Members
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:34 AM

Hi Laura,

Any suggestions?

Hi Carol, I just tried it in PSE 11 and it worked for me.

1. Hold down the CTRL key while clicking on the thumbnail image of the photo in the layers palette. This puts marching ants around the photo.
2. Create a new blank layer and place it above the photo layer.
3. Be sure the new blank layer is active (highlighted) and go to Edit>Stroke (Outline) Selection and create your stroke. (You want to be sure the stroke is wide enough so that when you apply a style, it can be seen. Just to test it, I created one in black and 35 pixels wide.)
4. Press CTRL + D to deselect the marching ants.
5. With the stroke layer active, apply the style of your choice. Just to test, good ones to try are any of these PSE default styles: Complex, Glass Buttons, Inner Glows, Patterns, Wow Chrome, Wow Neon, Wow Plastic.

Remember, you can also play with style settings by double clicking the little fx symbol on the layer and you can adjust the scale by going to Layer>Layer Style>Scale Effects.

Let me know if this helps, or if you are still stuck. :)/>

I think what I did wrong is left the pixels at 1. Also, I assume that you have to check 'outside'.

BLINKIES_girlfriend.gifSG-9-Anniversary_Spice-Blinkie.gifSG-9-Anniversary-SugarNSpice-Blinkie.gifBLINKIES_membmonth.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#6 lorac

lorac

• Members
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:36 AM

Woo Hoo! I did it and it came out perfect. I always forget how to deselect the marching ants.

Thank you so much for your help.

#7 teecee

teecee

• TOU Administrator
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

I think what I did wrong is left the pixels at 1. Also, I assume that you have to check 'outside'.

Woo Hoo! I did it and it came out perfect. I always forget how to deselect the marching ants.

Thank you so much for your help.

If you use the 'outside' location, you will get more rounded corners. The 'inside' location will give you sharper, square corners.

Glad it's working for you now! Yes, CTRL+D deselects marching ants; you could also press the Escape key on your keyboard to deselect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users