Virus/downloads

Jeanne Lee

Hope this makes sense...

A virus hit our pc after I thought I was downloading a JAVA update. (annoying ads)

My DS tried to remove it, but to know avail. Plans this week are to upgrade from XP to Windows 7.

I started to move all the files I have downloaded(I purchased the yearly club so I have a lot!)

to the Ext HD, but it will only do the Zipped files. I didn't save all the Zip files from this past year.

Is there something I can do to move all the downloads??

Can someone point me in the right direction?

How are you trying to copy the files...using a tool (like something that came on the EHD?), dragging and dropping, some other way? Not sure why only zipped files are going, but if you're using a tool, it might be in the settings. I've used SyncToy from Microsoft to replicate files to back up, you might want to look into that and do a test to see if it can copy the files for you.

HTH, I'm sure others will be along with sage advice for you.

I've never had a problem moving different types of files.

But what you're talking about with the annoying ads sounds like a browser thing. I believe it is malware rather than a virus. I had something similar a while back and after I uninstalled and reinstalled my browsers and it went away.

Hi April,

DS ran a Malware software 4 times and it wouldn't remove those ads.

Hmmmm, uninstall the browser...will try that. Thanks for the tip. :waving-hi:/>

Thanks Michelle...I think I just might not be copying them right??

Will try again tom'w.

Well, I tried to uninstall and reinstall the browsers and it didn't work...those things are tricky!

My son-in-law plans to upgrade my XP to Windows 7 so hopefully it will all be gone soon!

It depends on where the virus/malware is located. Unless you plan to wipe the hard drive an upgrade may not remove it.

Have you checked your installed programs, quite often when you download/install something it also installs something else. This normally happens when you just click next in the dialogue box without reading what it says. No virus/malware scan will detect/remove these.

Thanks for your tips. We plan to wipe the HD. I was just wondering about the files I wanted to keep.

The one thing that downloaded called Snapdo? I did go and try to uninstall it. It said it was uninstalled, but when I pull up the browser after a restart its still there.

I'm sure you know by wiping the hard drive, you will lose everything on it.

I've had several Trojan virus and mal ads lately. I think they came in while I was downloading or updating something on the web. They stopped my anti-virus software too. I re-down loaded Microsoft Essentials Anti virus software, set it up, and ran full scans several times. As far as I know it got them. I look through the list where you uninstall programs, looking for anything I don't want and uninstall them also.

I still may have malware running- not sure-it is a little slower. but running the software full scan sometimes will catch it. I also use ccleaner, a free little cleaner program my friendly tech told me to use. I run it everyday. It will also clean your Registry where these odd ball programs like to hide.

I either "move" or "copy" my supplies to an ehd.

good luck

Archived