Midwest Meetup Spring 2014 (Des Moines, Iowa)

Cheri T

Now that the fall meetup is over, we all need the next meetup to look forward to, right?! Everyone check your calendars and post here some dates that will work for you in April or May.

The meetup will be in Des Moines, Iowa.

Dates that will not work:

April 20 is Easter

May 11 is Mother's Day

May 23 is the last day of preschool for my son (barring snow days that would push it later)

May 24-26 is Memorial Day weekend

Next item of discussion: Depending on how many people are able to come, I know of a wonderful retreat house (http://www.walnutplaceretreat.com) that my local-ish scrapping friends (some paper, some digi girls) have rented for a weekend in February each year for the past 3 years. It will only sleep 12 people (but will fit a few more in the scrapping room as day-guests not staying the night) so would not work for a larger meetup, but would be a lovely private place to be for a smaller group. I think it would work out quite a bit cheaper than having to rent a hotel meeting room also. It is about 11 minutes from the airport.

Advantages: Less expensive (I'd have to get quotes on exact amounts...I'm basing it on my February retreat experiences) and more private/intimate - ie no hotel police telling us to quiet down;)

Drawbacks: only sleeps 12; not insulated like a hotel, so the night owls and early risers might need to keep it down (LOL...is that possible with our giggly group?!); we'd need to figure out food/help cook/help clean up if we cook there. I would be willing to coordinate a menu, esp for breakfasts, and purchase and bring all the food, if others would assist some in cooking it/cleaning up after breakfasts/meals. We could choose to cook only breakfast, or could actually cook more meals there to save time/money in going out. I could potentially cook a soup/crock pot meal/casserole in advance, too, and bring with me just to heat up for a meal or two. When my local friends and I have rented this place, the advantage food-wise is one of the women in charge of planning that retreat used to be in charge of a Marriott restaurant. Currently they are booked for April 24-26 but all other dates in April and May are open.

I will also scout out hotels, unless everyone comes on here gung ho about the retreat house. There is a new Drury in Des Moines, but it's 18 minutes from the hotel. I have a small list of other hotels that Des Moines friends told me to check out. Let me know your thoughts!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belle, I think that was a definitely yes!!

Spring break here is the week before Easter thru Easter weekend, but other than any trips for dh that I won't know in advance, I'm open to just about anything else. The retreat house sounds fun, but I'll go with anything.

The retreat house sounds like fun Cheri, but I'm up for anything. I would be happy to take a turn at cooking/clean-up. With activities that are already on my calendar, if we could do an April meet-up that would be best. I'll throw out April 10 -13 for a vote! LOL For those of us flying, would we be able to come in on a Thursday?

I never know the boys/gary schedule out that far in advance. I believe that's during baseball season, but we're just playing here in town so it will be no problem. And if we get a date (or tentative one) I can let Gary know and he'll block off that weekend.

The retreat house sounds wonderful. When I've stayed at similar places with a bunch of girls, we'd divide into teams of two or three, each responsible for one meal, planning, shopping, preparing, and clean up. I'm tentatively planning on road-tripping out for this one. Harder to plan when Easter comes so late this year. But any dates after Easter work ok for me.

I have family in the Des Moines area, so I am tentatively planning on making the trip for this event. My children are no longer at home so my life isn't dependent in their schedules. Set a date that works for most of you and I can probably work it into my schedule.

From the comments on the website, it sounds like so much fun. I've done a number of events at retreat centers like you describe. It's probably a great option for a meet-up like this one.

My only problem: I do all my scrapping on a Mac using PSE. I also have a Windows laptop that has PS on it but I'd have to learn to use PS! (And to be honest, I'm a little afraid of PS.)

Karen

I have family in the Des Moines area, so I am tentatively planning on making the trip for this event. My children are no longer at home so my life isn't dependent in their schedules. Set a date that works for most of you and I can probably work it into my schedule.

From the comments on the website, it sounds like so much fun. I've done a number of events at retreat centers like you describe. It's probably a great option for a meet-up like this one.

My only problem: I do all my scrapping on a Mac using PSE. I also have a Windows laptop that has PS on it but I'd have to learn to use PS! (And to be honest, I'm a little afraid of PS.)

Karen

Hope you can join us! I scrap using PSE too. Everyone just uses the software that they are comfortable with.

I have family in the Des Moines area, so I am tentatively planning on making the trip for this event. My children are no longer at home so my life isn't dependent in their schedules. Set a date that works for most of you and I can probably work it into my schedule.From the comments on the website, it sounds like so much fun. I've done a number of events at retreat centers like you describe. It's probably a great option for a meet-up like this one.My only problem: I do all my scrapping on a Mac using PSE. I also have a Windows laptop that has PS on it but I'd have to learn to use PS! (And to be honest, I'm a little afraid of PS.)Karen

If you are driving, you could bring your computer. People have done that before!

Karen

It will be great to meet you! We'll all help you with PS, but you could always download a trial of PSE for that computer for the weekend.

• 5 weeks later...

So far, I'm available any of the April or May weekends mentioned. The retreat house sounds like fun if there are only 12 of us sleeping over. I'm cool with the cleaning, etc. At first I was a bit worried about showers (saw only the hand shower in the one bathroom) but they've added more showers :-). Lei, it looks like you can get it the Thursday prior for an added charge.

Of course, once days are nailed down, I'll have to check with my DH (who's pretty flexible and supportive, so probably no big deal).

Cheri, thanks for "hosting" this time. I know you have a lot on your plate, so if you need help please give a shout out!

I don't know offhand if they have the shower area posted on the website...but it's really pretty nice. There are 2 (or is it 3?) showers in the basement in a small finished-off area. They are dorm-style private stalls with huge fluffy towels and bath mats to step out on when done.

Michele, thanks for the offer to help! I'll let you know if I need anything:) Now that quite a few have chimed in on which weekends would work well, I need to see what the consensus is. Hm...should have done a Doodle poll or something to help myself out, lol.

Thanks for checking on Thursday for me, Michele. Are you flying in Thurs as well? Anyone else showing up Thursday??

I missed that question, sorry! I will make a call and check, b/c the price per person would go up quite a bit if only a very small number of us were there on Thursday, unless they have a special deal since most groups would be Friday-Sunday.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, but I might have to skip the meetups in 2014. Money will be a little tight to begin with (stupid insurance premium increases)... and I'm trying to save up every penny so I can travel to Japan with the taiko group in August.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, but I might have to skip the meetups in 2014. Money will be a little tight to begin with (stupid insurance premium increases)... and I'm trying to save up every penny so I can travel to Japan with the taiko group in August.

Boo to missing SG meetups :( but a huge WOW to the trip to Japan - that sounds like an amazing opportunity!

Would love to do this again - the retreat house sounds perfect (I could bring my big ole honkin' Mac that I do all my scrapping on. Still haven't replaced my dead laptop.) April is pretty busy for me, but could try to re-arrange things if need to. :drive1: I would drive up.

Our group hasn't started budgeting, getting cost estimates, or fundraising for our trip yet. Once that happens, I'll know if it's even a reachable goal for myself. If not, then I'll join you all :)

I'll probably have to skip Spring Training next year too :(

Boo to missing SG meetups :( but a huge WOW to the trip to Japan - that sounds like an amazing opportunity!

I agree with Cheri, you'd certainly be missed. However, going to Japan is possibly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that you need to pursue and see if you can go! (I say possibly, 'cause who knows, it could happen again for you!)

• 2 weeks later...

No weekend yet - I've been with Mom in her town... She was injured and is recuperating. I'll call the retreat house in early January. I think it will have to be May for me. Free clinic will be closing sometime in March or April and i need to be there working on the final night.

Archived