Midwest Meetup Spring 2014 (Des Moines, Iowa)

Cheri T

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were to fly in what airport would I fly into?? I need to look at the cost of flights before I even think about it ! So would love to see everyone again!

Des Moines airport -would love to meet you Shannon!

It would be awesome to meet you Shannon!!

Cheri-how far is the retreat from the airport?

Shannon, don't give up based on one day of checking... Pretty please. I'll try to get an actual date for the retreat soon and if you usea place likepriceline or kayak.com and just leave your trip dates open in a browser window... Hit refresh a couple timesa day every single day and usually eventually the price will come WAY down. That's how I booked our family trip to California in 2012. Saved about $150 per ticket that way.

No. I am with Mom at ICU in Des Moines. Her hematoma did not reabsorb as should and had neurosurgery yesterday. She's doing OK but I'm with her all the time... When the nurses convinced me to go home (45 min) to sleep last night, my son threw up all over the hallway when Jeff brought them home from his dad's (he watched the kids so Jeff could come visit - no children allowed in ICU).

And just to wallowa little more and show you how much our life sucks, my sister in law's home was Broken into in broad daylight while they were gone for a couple hours yesterday and all sorts of stuff stolen.

Considering the ongoing mess ofa life i lead, either we needa new hostess for the spring retreat or I'll need to eventually find us a hotel. The retreat house we've been talking about in this thread Hinges on me shopping for food, perhaps makinga meal or two in advance and being there to cook.

Have I ever pointed out how many calamities in my life seem to revolve around scrapbook weekends? Something is sure to happen the second week of February (weekend with local scraping friends) and whatever weekend we schedule this one for.

One more FYI... Since Mom fell the 22nd of December, I've only been home 5 nights (2 of them literally only long enough to sleep and leave again early the next day) and 3 days. The 3 days I did laundry and grocery shopped and sat around doing nothing else. My Christmas decorations are still up, 2 of my children have a birthday on the12th (not twins) and the party will have to be postponed. DH has been wonderful bit is now out of holidays and I'm not sure who will have to do what now. I really want to be with Mom for her first PT tomorrow, but school or not (the high tomorrow is minus 11) Jeff needs to go to work tomorrow.

Sorry to dump on you all but I'm overwhelmed. I don't think Mom will have any visitors but me from now on. Uncle and aunt came yesterday. Jeff came yesterday but with Michael sick, none of them can come today. Pastor was going to come today but lives2 hours from here and it's minus temps with very high winds so she's not coming now. No one will come dieing week because all work. Mom's twos cousins from her hometown won't come to Des Moines.

Since life is so hectic for Cheri right now, if we decide to save Des Moines for the fall, I'd volunteer to host the spring one in St. Louis. I know we were just here last Spring, but I could try to find some new stuff for us to do (besides the Zoo or Botanical Gardens). Then I'd be able to see everyone :-)

Has anybody heard from Pat? You haven't been to Omaha in a while.

Another option. ..Michele offered to help me, and since the retreat house is "tried and true" (aka I have stayed there 3 times before) we cans swing Des Moines. I wouldn't have to go see/talk to multiple hotels like many of you have had to in order to plan previous meet ups. Food wise we can doa group shopping trip with those who arrive on Thursday if I'm not able to do so before the retreat. And perhaps Michele could help me with menu planning too. ..

Just thinking out loud ... and feeling better since my grumpy posts this morning:)

Another option. ..Michele offered to help me, and since the retreat house is "tried and true" (aka I have stayed there 3 times before) we cans swing Des Moines. I wouldn't have to go see/talk to multiple hotels like many of you have had to in order to plan previous meet ups. Food wise we can doa group shopping trip with those who arrive on Thursday if I'm not able to do so before the retreat. And perhaps Michele could help me with menu planning too. ..

Just thinking out loud ... and feeling better since my grumpy posts this morning:)

Thanks, Michele!

Hi Cheri,

Just want you to know I'm praying for your Mom and your family.

The same thing happened to my Mother-in-law (age 79) a year ago in December after she slipped in the shower. She had the neurosurgery on Dec. 24 (2012). Just want to encourage you that she has made a full recovery with no after effects.

It's sad that so many other things have piled on at the same time, but hang in there, it will get better.

Blessings,

Karen

Cheri,

I'm happy to help any way I can. I'll comb through the posts and see what weekends were looking promising and we'll take it from there for the retreat vs. a hotel. Do we have any other local gals in Des Moines in case a visit to a hotel is needed?

I think I've found the posts that indicate who's interested:

1. Cheri (CheriT)
  2. Conda (SodScrap)
  3. Lei (Bride)
  4. Angie (angleigh)
  5. Sandi (SandiC)
  6. Michele (anemone1983)
  7. Betty (BetC)
  8. Carla (CRS)
  9. Karen (KnotDreams)
  10. Monica (Nica)
  11. Theresa (tiza126) - tentative
  12. Shannon (tinkerbell11)

And potential dates:

• April 25 - 27
  • May 2 - 4
  • May 16 - 18
  • May 30 - June 1

Note: some of us like to come in on Thursdays. The days indicated are Friday - Sunday.

Finally, the proposed location (sleeps 12, but has room for day-scrappers):

http://www.walnutplaceretreat.com

I wanted to get this post out there so I haven't checked availability of the location - that could further restrict dates as well.

Your actions:

1. Copy the dates to a new post and *rank* them in order you are available. Rank 1 as your most preferred and so on. If there's a date that you're not available at all, rank it (them) last and indicate that you're not available.
  2. If you don't see your name listed, do #1 anyway so we know you're interested.
  3. Read post 1 in this thread from CheriT and Visit the Walnut Place Retreat website to look at the place that's proposed. It's about 15 minutes from the airport and we're in charge of meals + clean up. So indicate if you're up for that or really looking for a more 'hotel' experience that doesn't include cooking and clean up (all viewpoints are valid, so please speak up!).

I know for sure that I can't do that first weekend in May. Dh will have to work that weekend. As for the rest of the dates, I'll have to see what the sports schedules bring. So, go ahead and plan whatever is best for everyone else and if I can make it, great, if not, I'll try again next time.

I would love to be able to come to this to meet everyone! It was so fun seeing all your photos from the last meet-up, I feel like I have to join in! :)

The May dates are all the same for me, it just depends on what is good for you guys. I don't have anything major planned for those weeks (yet!). I'll keep watching the airfare, as it's looking a little expensive right now, but I know that can change.

Archived