Midwest Meetup Spring 2014 (Des Moines, Iowa)

Cheri T

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol...You will definitely be missed, T, so here's hoping you can still swing it. I'm still hoping to make it. Gotta play with the numbers and talk to DH some more, so just decide on the details and I'll see what I can make work.

Oh no, don't feel bad at all, my heart goes out to you, I know you've been going through more than your fair share lately, Cheri. Hugs! I just don't like being a nuisance, haha. :) I'm sure it wouldn't be, but my personality makes me feel like I'd have to make sure no one is put out because of me! :)

Hang in there, Cheri, you are loved!!

Not to throw a wrench in everything, but since Shannon made a comment on airfare, I just did a comparison, using the same dates, to fly from Detroit to Des Moines runs $403 compared to $209 to fly into St Louis. I know fares fluctuate, but that is quite a difference.

I found Web page that says Des Moines is8th most expensive airport in USA. I don't mind where we have meet up. So if someone else wants to take over and do it in St Louis/someplace that's OK with me.

I'm open to where ever. I think Tiza said she could make it if it was local for her and that would be cool. I plan on using miles to get my ticket :).

I'm still collecting dates that are good for everyone, so please respond if you haven't yet. I can turn that over to someone in a different location (like St. Louis or Omaha).

I wouldn't know more until it got closer, as the boys/Gary's schedule always changes. So once a date is picked i'll just let Gary know to try and keep it clear. Since they are all within driving distance for me anything would work

Neurosurgeon very optimistic... says today is justa nuisance in long run.she's in surg now

You've been on my mind and in my prayers all day, Cheri ... tried to pm you but your box is full. Hugs dear one!

Poor Cheri...so much to deal with right now. I'm glad the surgery went well.

I don't have a preference on location. But I won't know availability until the softball schedule comes out and dh has his calendar set.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, I've heard back on dates from:

Carla, Karen, Theresa, and Angie. It looks like either May 16 - 18 or May 29 - Jun 1 is best for everyone. So we're down to two.

Now, the big question: Are you more interested in Des Moines or St. Louis? A lot of people have posted on the cost of flying to Des Moines vs. St. Louis. Flights are going to vary. I checked the cost of Detroit to both locations and they're about equal in the $360 range (St. Louis 361 and Des Moines 365). One thing Cheri reminded me is that if we get the retreat house (and that cannot be a last minute decision, we'd need to reserve it soon to ensure we get the weekends we want), the cost of lodging goes down *significantly* and it includes the rooms to scrap in. As of this moment, the retreat house is available for either weekend. Adding on Thursday is an additional $15 per person. Here is the explanation of lodging cost for Walnut Place Retreat from their site:

Stay for the weekend—arrive Friday*, depart Sunday

Complete Facility Rental - $100.00 per person up to 9 people. If your group has more than 10 people, the cost per person is $90.00. $250 deposit per weekend. Minimum 6 guests ($600).

Prepare your own food in our spacious kitchen or manage your own catering.

Choose your own arrival and departure times.

*Add a Thursday or Monday for $15 per person.

I need everyone to weigh in on this, as some people may like one location over the other due to family in the area etc. I know Tiza has already said she's a may be bordering on "no" if it's in Des Moines based on her Taiko group trip (she did volunteer to organize if the location was St. Louis). Don't let that sway you! This has only come up because of Cheri's family issues and her limited availability to plan.

I'm going to take silence as "I'll go to either place" but if you have a definite preference, please speak up!

As a reminder, here's who I'm expecting to hear from:

1. Cheri (CheriT)

2. Conda (SodScrap)

3. Lei (Bride)

4. Angie (angleigh)

5. Sandi (SandiC)

6. Michele (anemone1983)

7. Betty (BetC)

8. Carla (CRS)

9. Karen (KnotDreams)

10. Monica (Nica)

11. Theresa (tiza126) - tentative

12. Shannon (tinkerbell11)

It's OK if your name isn't on the list, speak up that you want to join in and you'll get added. I'll be watching the thread as closely as I can for replies.

Thanks!

I'm all "whatever"...I just want to go SOMEwhere! ;)

I can help with planning for either destination. Dates...I'm flexible. Nothing really major to plan around for me. I think the biggest planning for Des Moines will be meals. (after date is chosen) Do I understand we have to provide all meals? I'm happy to plan/bring meal since I'll be driving/riding up.

ARE WE THERE YET??

If you are needing a countdown how about this: 87 days SINCE our last meet up. ;)

Well, I'm open to either weekend, although I haven't gotten a definite yes from DH yet. The providing a meal part would be difficult for me since I'd be flying in, not driving, but I'd be willing to chip in some $ if the locals would take care of the shopping and then I'd help with the prep/clean-up.

Is the retreat only $100 for the whole weekend, or is it $100 per night? I'm definitely liking the $100 per weekend idea...

Also, I wouldn't be able to come on Thurs, if that makes a difference in securing the place.

So, I guess, with my rambling, I'm voting the Retreat in Des Moines. :)

$100 for the whole weekend. Seriously.

I owe $125 for the 2 nights I'm staying there with local friends in February and that includes 2 to 3 meals that one gal is making for us. And no additional fee for the scrapping room. .. it's all included in the one fee.

Archived