Midwest Meetup Spring 2014 (Des Moines, Iowa)

Cheri T

Oh yeah, good news I forgot to post (didn't have my notes right with me) - Adding Thursday will only be $10/person instead of $15 b/c they are offering a special with several area businesses...essentially for $10 you get the Thursday for free, plus a card good at several area businesses (including at least one locally owned clothing store and locally owned scrapbooking store among others - I didn't ask for all the names).

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're all booked! Hooray! How many days?! Lol...oh yeah, refer to Conda's message from earlier today:)

One last retreat place vs. hotel point - For a full refund on the deposit, I have to cancel 6+ weeks in advance. If we get to the 7 week mark and we don't yet have 6 SG people, I will open this up to my local group of scrappers as well. I don't want to cancel!! :)

Woo hoo!!

90 days!!

Thanks for checking on Thursday for me, Michele. Are you flying in Thurs as well? Anyone else showing up Thursday??

I missed that question, sorry! I will make a call and check, b/c the price per person would go up quite a bit if only a very small number of us were there on Thursday, unless they have a special deal since most groups would be Friday-Sunday.

I'm re-reading the whole thread and am going to send out some private messages to those who haven't posted lately to make sure they know this is a GO. I am also seeing some questions I can answer better...ONLY the people who are coming on Thursday will owe money for staying on Thursday night ($10/person - see my post one or two up from this). There is no minimum amount of money for Thursday night as long as we pay for 6 people for Friday and Saturday nights.

1. Extremely close

2. If they won't deliver, I'll go bring the food back

3. 12 beds. We'd have to figure out a hotel hotel for any "extras"

4. Whoever brings a meal would just have to estimate how much it cost and divide by number of people present. Our I'm open to other suggestions if something makes more sense than that.

Great! So we have lots of options! :)

Does the retreat (what do we call it) place have a recommendation of a hotel? Maybe they have a "deal" with one for their over flow? Just a thought.

ARE WE THERE YET??

She does have a deal with a hotel for "overflow" - the reviews I found online are mixed. If we end up needing a hotel I will go check it out thoroughly in person. If we're just a person or two over, I know the proprietor will "look the other way" if one or two people brought sleeping bags/air mattresses, etc. And as I mentioned a few pages back, my father-in-law lives about 15 minutes away, so seriously I could stay there, or a friend and I could stay there. He has plenty of room.

1. Extremely close

2. If they won't deliver, I'll go bring the food back

3. 12 beds. We'd have to figure out a hotel hotel for any "extras"

4. Whoever brings a meal would just have to estimate how much it cost and divide by number of people present. Our I'm open to other suggestions if something makes more sense than that.

Great! So we have lots of options! :)

Does the retreat (what do we call it) place have a recommendation of a hotel? Maybe they have a "deal" with one for their over flow? Just a thought.

ARE WE THERE YET??

She does have a deal with a hotel for "overflow" - the reviews I found online are mixed. If we end up needing a hotel I will go check it out thoroughly in person. If we're just a person or two over, I know the proprietor will "look the other way" if one or two people brought sleeping bags/air mattresses, etc. And as I mentioned a few pages back, my father-in-law lives about 15 minutes away, so seriously I could stay there, or a friend and I could stay there. He has plenty of room.

Sounds great!

I'm getting excited. I wish it was today!! Well...maybe not since it's Valentine's Day...but SOON.........................

At our taiko meeting Tuesday night, I got the estimated budget for our Japan trip. It seems a little out of reach, so this meetup is still a possibility for me.

Oooof....I'm not sure I can be happy about that update or not. I'm sad that the Japan trip is probably out of reach financially. But I will be truthful and say that I'm glad you might be able to come to the SG meetup!

At our taiko meeting Tuesday night, I got the estimated budget for our Japan trip. It seems a little out of reach, so this meetup is still a possibility for me.

Oooof....I'm not sure I can be happy about that update or not. I'm sad that the Japan trip is probably out of reach financially. But I will be truthful and say that I'm glad you might be able to come to the SG meetup!

Ditto! I so want to see you at the meet up but really want you to have the opportunity to go to Japan!

Ditto! I so want to see you at the meet up but really want you to have the opportunity to go to Japan!

Sort of bittersweet for us, huh?

You're coming from STL, right?

Want to consider carpooling? I'm planning to drive.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ladies! I hate to bail on you, but I just started a new job as Ministry Assistant (aka a fancy way of saying Assistant Pastor that's not ordained), which means that weekends, especially Sundays just became work days for me. I'm so sorry! I'm going to miss hanging out with everyone IRL. :monstercry:

Karen

Thanks Karen, I appreciate the offer! But I don't think I'll be making it to this meetup. :(

I am interested in meeting up, but was hoping to have one in the Pacific NW about the same time, if we could. Seattle is a lovely and hospitable town. Sandy and I could oversee the set up... so many choices!

If not, perhaps we can make it to yours?

Hi Ladies! I hate to bail on you, but I just started a new job as Ministry Assistant (aka a fancy way of saying Assistant Pastor that's not ordained), which means that weekends, especially Sundays just became work days for me. I'm so sorry! I'm going to miss hanging out with everyone IRL. :monstercry:

Congrats on the new job, Monica! Sorry to hear that it means you won't make it this time :(

Karen

Thanks Karen, I appreciate the offer! But I don't think I'll be making it to this meetup. :(

I hope that means you'll be going to Japan!

I am interested in meeting up, but was hoping to have one in the Pacific NW about the same time, if we could. Seattle is a lovely and hospitable town. Sandy and I could oversee the set up... so many choices!

All are welcome, Barb, the mid-west is just the location, you don't have to live there to attend :-D

Early on Sandi had expressed interest, but I haven't seen her post lately. Maybe if you can't make it out for the mid-west one you can have a mini one at the same time in the Pacific NW!

All are welcome, Barb, the mid-west is just the location, you don't have to live there to attend :-D

Early on Sandi had expressed interest, but I haven't seen her post lately. Maybe if you can't make it out for the mid-west one you can have a mini one at the same time in the Pacific NW!

Michele is correct...any one (from anywhere) is welcome!! :)

I'm not sure that Sandi is going to be able to make it to this meet up. I think that is a busy time for her.

Attendees:

1. Cheri

2. Michele

3. Conda

4. Angie

5. Karen

6. We need a 6th to meet our minimum fee for the retreat house.

At this moment, we cannot confirm a sixth SG to attend. We have a deadline of 27Mar to cancel and not lose the deposit. Here are our alternatives:

1) Accept that we have five people and possibly pay $20 more per person (total, not per night - so the total per person would be $120 for Fri-Sat, or $130 for Th-Sat in this case) to cover the minimum of $600 (plus any charges for Thursday - there is no minimum amount of people/money for adding Thursday). We do have two unconfirmed SG's but we cannot get commitment until after the deadline. Do we accept the risk that we cannot get to six people and we cover the cost if it ends up only five?

2) Allow/invite non-SG digi or paper-scrapper friends who might be interested in joining in the fun to fill out the numbers. Feel free to post your opinion about this here or in a private message. Michele and I (aka the planning committee) do not want to assume that this would be ok. Non-SG friends might feel left out of private jokes, etc or we might feel inhibited around them...so no one's feelings will be hurt if someone replies back that this doesn't sound like a good idea.

3) Reject choices 1 & 2 and cancel the event.

Which alternative best matches your opinion and situation? If another alternative comes to mind, let us know!

Hmmm, makes me wonder what silence means...you're happy with whatever Cheri and I decide, including cancelling? You're thinking about the financial implications of not meeting the minimum? You're afraid to voice your opinion first?

I'm okay with whatever for the most part and really didn't want to voice my opinion to sway anyone either way........................

First: I really want NEED this fun get away!!

If there are only 5 of us...($120/$130) that seems doable for me. Still cheaper than other meet ups in the past.

Cheri-have you talked to your locals? Are any of them willing to "be on call" if we need them in a pinch? (I just thought of a friend here that might be interested, but she travels a lot for work...and that's about the time they are moving and have a son graduating, timing might not be good, but I'll talk to her if you would like. She is into Close to My heart-paper-but also does their "digital" online pages)

Michele-looks like you may be the only one flying in-how soon do you need to book your flight?

ARE WE THERE YET?? 60 DAYS!!!

The prices are usually best 45 days before the flight. I'm thinking I'll use miles so price is not so much of an issue. I was waiting to see if we had enough to get it going before booking the flight.

I'm good either way - the smaller crowd or adding others.

YES!! I made up my mind. I'm going to do whatever it takes to get to Japan. A 16-day trip. Eeek!! (I hope I can put up with these people for that many days in a row.)

YES!! I made up my mind. I'm going to do whatever it takes to get to Japan. A 16-day trip. Eeek!! (I hope I can put up with these people for that many days in a row.)

Oh how fun! Think of the photos you will have to scrap. (ok...and maybe a great cultural experience too)

Good for you! No need to say take lots of pics :-). I'm sure you'll be able to get along - just keep telling yourself "I'm in JAPAN! I can put up with anything!"

Sorry, I missed this message. It's been pretty busy in our household recently...

I don't have a problem with paying the extra cost. And really, I wouldn't have a problem meeting some "new friends" if you want to invite locals. So either way works for me.

Karen

As we're getting closer to the deadline for me to recoup my deposit (March 27), unfortunately we're still at 5 people for the meetup with a minimum of 6 people (or at least a minimum of paying for 6 people). That in and of itself would not be too bad, splitting that $100 5 ways. However, one of the 5 is uncertain now too, due to her husband's job - that is a super busy week for him and he just cannot get time off that weekend.

So, with a heavy heart, and messaging back and forth with Michele and others, I have made the decision to cancel this meet up. We had to cancel one other meetup a couple years ago due to everyone's hectic schedules that season, and the next meet up was bigger and better as a result, so I hope that happens again this time and that tons of us will be able to come to a fall meet up!

As we're getting closer to the deadline for me to recoup my deposit (March 27), unfortunately we're still at 5 people for the meetup with a minimum of 6 people (or at least a minimum of paying for 6 people). That in and of itself would not be too bad, splitting that $100 5 ways. However, one of the 5 is uncertain now too, due to her husband's job - that is a super busy week for him and he just cannot get time off that weekend.

So, with a heavy heart, and messaging back and forth with Michele and others, I have made the decision to cancel this meet up. We had to cancel one other meetup a couple years ago due to everyone's hectic schedules that season, and the next meet up was bigger and better as a result, so I hope that happens again this time and that tons of us will be able to come to a fall meet up!

Cheri,

Thanks for all the effort you put into pulling this together. Like you said, I hope that the next one is bigger and better with lots of participation!

Archived