Midwest Meetup Spring 2014 (Des Moines, Iowa)

Cheri T

$100ish for the whole weekend. Seriously. If we add Thursday on, it will be I think $115 per person.

I owe $125 for the 2 nights I'm staying there with local friends in February and that includes 2 to 3 meals that one gal is making for us. And no additional fee for the scrapping room. .. it's all included in the one fee.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. How close are restaurants? (is it feasible to go out)

2. Any of them deliver?

3. How many "beds" available? 13? And, how close are hotels for "extras".

4. We would have to figure out $ to chip in for food that "locals" bring. (I'd be happy to bring a few pans of enchiladas or a pot of chilli, or soup, lasagna...or all) (How do you all figure that Cheri? Or do you not if everyone can bring a meal? Which, I realize we can't) Stores close?

1. Extremely close

2. If they won't deliver, I'll go bring the food back

3. 12 beds. We'd have to figure out a hotel hotel for any "extras"

4. Whoever brings a meal would just have to estimate how much it cost and divide by number of people present. Our I'm open to other suggestions if something makes more sense than that.

I'll have to research which grocery store is closest but definitely one or more within 10 minutes.

Cheri, since I like to come in on Thursday, I'd be willing to do a grocery run with you and make something that is good re-heated (like Chicken Jambalaya, which is great the next day, easy to expand and not too hard to make in the first place).

I'll have to research which grocery store is closest but definitely one or more within 10 minutes.

Cheri, since I like to come in on Thursday, I'd be willing to do a grocery run with you and make something that is good re-heated (like Chicken Jambalaya, which is great the next day, easy to expand and not too hard to make in the first place).

Sounds good to me!

1. Extremely close

2. If they won't deliver, I'll go bring the food back

3. 12 beds. We'd have to figure out a hotel hotel for any "extras"

4. Whoever brings a meal would just have to estimate how much it cost and divide by number of people present. Our I'm open to other suggestions if something makes more sense than that.

Great! So we have lots of options! :)

Does the retreat (what do we call it) place have a recommendation of a hotel? Maybe they have a "deal" with one for their over flow? Just a thought.

ARE WE THERE YET??

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize for being absent here. A lot hit me in January and the beginning of this month. Here's a recap where we stand based on the feedback from everyone:

Dates: May 16 - 18

SG's who have expressed interest are:

1. Cheri (CheriT)

2. Conda (SodScrap)

3. Lei (Bride)

4. Angie (angleigh)

5. Sandi (SandiC)

6. Michele (anemone1983)

7. Betty (BetC)

8. Carla (CRS)

9. Karen (KnotDreams)

10. Monica (Nica)

11. Theresa (tiza126) - tentative

12. Shannon (tinkerbell11)

The main question on the table is, do we want to pursue Walnut Place Retreat? It's not far from the airport, there are restaurants in the area as well as grocery stores. If we have 6 people, It will be a little over $100 for the entire weekend for sleeping space and scrapping space (if we have less than 6, the price will go up to cover the minimum). Thursday arrival is additional ($15/person). Food is variable and transportation cost depend on where you're coming from and how you're getting there. We need to decide on this ASAP, already the weekend following is taken so the place is booking up so we need to commit if this is the decision.
I will contact them this week to see if we can get a tentative reservation for our weekend, but would like to hear from y'all on whether this is something you want to try.

Michelle, thanks for your great summary post. The retreat house sounds great to me, and I'd be happy to bring some food that we can easily reheat in a crockpot or oven. I would probably drive up the day before, and could easily help with final plans/preparations. Just let me know what would be needed.

Looking forward to this. It's my first meet-up!

Karen

Michelle, thanks for your great summary post. The retreat house sounds great to me, and I'd be happy to bring some food that we can easily reheat in a crockpot or oven. I would probably drive up the day before, and could easily help with final plans/preparations. Just let me know what would be needed.

Karen

Hi Karen,

I'm looking forward to meeting you! If you're driving, we might ask you to bring a crock pot - not sure what the kitchen has there to use.

That date should work for me. (is this when I am supposed to start the count down???) I think the retreat sounds wonderful, especially since there is food/restaurants close by. (so we don't have to slave away the entire time cooking and/or cleaning) I'm happy to bring a meal with me since I'll be driving...with Angie I assume. (HINT) I would prefer to drive up Thursday afternoon...but that will depend on our work load and what Angie has going on too!

Karen

Hi Karen,

I'm looking forward to meeting you! If you're driving, we might ask you to bring a crock pot - not sure what the kitchen has there to use.

The kitchen is not equipped with a crock pot (that I know of) - but I own a small and large one, and my father-in-law is giving me a Ninja crock pot this week (I think it's a 6 quart) - it was on sale, he was with his daughter/my sis-in-law and bought her one so I got one too, lol. Anyway, I won't get rid of my extra one until after May so I can bring 3 if we need them all;)

I'm sad to say I'm going to have to bow out on this meet up..... and I'm so disappointed. We have a huge out of town wedding (nephew that is like a son) that we were asked to take part in. This past week we received a "save this date" for another nephew the following weekend and I'll have to fly to Dallas for that. I can't juggle that and a plane trip to Des Moines ... sorry gals! I know you all will have fun and I'll miss it!

I can book this today (or tomorrow if I cannot get ahold of the owner today) - are we ready?! :)

Cheri, let me know if you want to do the booking or if you want me to. I was going to see if we could tentatively reserve the date and see how many we get (looking for the minimum of six who can commit). Looks like so far we have:

1. Karen
  2. Conda
  3. Angie
  4. Cheri
  5. Michele

One more and we're at the minimum of 6 :-)

Countdown is looking good, Conda!

I'm sad to say I'm going to have to bow out on this meet up..... and I'm so disappointed. We have a huge out of town wedding (nephew that is like a son) that we were asked to take part in. This past week we received a "save this date" for another nephew the following weekend and I'll have to fly to Dallas for that. I can't juggle that and a plane trip to Des Moines ... sorry gals! I know you all will have fun and I'll miss it!

Ah Lei, we'll miss you!

Oh Lei, we'll miss you:( But you'll have a great time at the weddings! :) And we'll hope no one decides to get married around the time of the next meet-up :giggle_bear:

Michele, I can book - I also have a PM from you I haven't read yet so will go check that out now.

I'm taking Mom back home today (YAY for her getting better!!) so will not be on the computer much if at all (will only have smart phone with me) - so call me if I need to know anything. My plan is to call the retreat center owner from Mom's house sometime this afternoon.

I haven't heard anything definite about sports yet, but that weekend is usually a busy one around here. And my anniversary is the day after we'd get back. I'm afraid I'm not going to make it this time. Sorry!

I haven't heard anything definite about sports yet, but that weekend is usually a busy one around here. And my anniversary is the day after we'd get back. I'm afraid I'm not going to make it this time. Sorry!

Carla, we'll miss you!

Oh snap. We will miss you!

I spoke with the proprietor of the retreat house yesterday and she is holding that weekend for us. Today I called her back and left a message - we're ready to book!

Michele and I have been doing some behind the scenes work, as I found that the internet there is simply not fast enough for our needs. We've got that all ironed out with either/both a rented Mifi unit ($15/day split amongst all of us) or, even better, a good possibility we can borrow a Mifi device from Jeff's (DH's) work place. If our numbers increase and we have more like 12 people, we can rent the one device and borrow the other, so we should be good:)

Darn real life intervening for some of us not being able to make it! Don't our families know that we need our scrapping weekends to remain sane?! LOL We'll miss you Carla!

We're all booked! Hooray! How many days?! Lol...oh yeah, refer to Conda's message from earlier today:)

One last retreat place vs. hotel point - For a full refund on the deposit, I have to cancel 6+ weeks in advance. If we get to the 7 week mark and we don't yet have 6 SG people, I will open this up to my local group of scrappers as well. I don't want to cancel!! :)

Archived