5 replies to this topic

#1 Terri M

Terri M

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

I upgraded to PSE 12 this week and generally like it quite a lot. But I had one weird thing going on, so I posted in the Adobe support forums this:
I upgraded from PSE 10 to PSE 12 this week and am confused about a change in behavior. I create a large blank document (3600x3600 pixels, scrapbook size) and then drag other items onto it to create new layers. In PSE10, the items I dragged in kept their original size. In PSE 12, they get resized to match the size of the document I'm dragging them on to. Is there a setting I need to change? Can't find it.

The response I got was:
For a few versions, including PSE 10, dragging up from the photo bin placed things as smart objects. In PSE 12 it places them normally, the same way a paste would do. If you want to duplicate the PSE 10 behavior, use file>place instead of dragging.

What is happening in PSE 12 is, when I dragged an embellishment from the photo bin onto my page, it would resize huge and cover the whole page. That didn't happen in PSE10.

I normally work by pulling a bunch of embellishments into my photo bin and then dragging them in. moving them around. To use file>place I have to find each one in its folder as I want to use it. This seems WAY harder to me.

I realize not many are on PSE 12, but I'm hoping PSE 11 works the same way and someone can help me. Can I place an embellishment as a smart object from a file I've already opened in PSE? Is there an easier way than going through the File menu?

gallery_23591_66_31581.png        BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#2 Belle

Belle

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,536 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:10 AM

I work like you do, I drag a whole bunch of stuff into my bin and then double click on the item. It opens next to my layout and then I drag and drop from there. Never had a problem like that. I don't use the File Place as it takes to long and I'm lazy. I use PSE11 and love it. Sorry no help from me.

gallery_19386_314_49430.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifBLINKIES_wise1.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#3 ValerieT

ValerieT

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• TOU Administrator
  • 7,408 posts
  • Personal Statement:Mad as a hatter, with the patience of a saint!

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:01 AM

I'm sure you have probably checked this but is your new document set to a resolution of 300ppi?

WorldTourSiggy-1.png

Button_Welcome.pngButton_Layout.pngWT-Button-copy.gifBLINKIES_UK.gif SecondHomeBlinkieGIF.gif?t=1352459462

#4 Terri M

Terri M

• Members
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

Thanks, Belle, that's exactly the kind of tip I was looking for! Double click then drag --- I was using the File>Place and thinking, "This will take forever!"

#5 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 41,871 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

I know when this happens in Photoshop, it is something I can change in the preferences menu. Under Preferences> General, I can check or un-check "Resize Image During Place."

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngWT-Button-copy.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#6 Terri M

Terri M

• Members
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, I found some posts from people with Photoshop that offered the preferences setting as a solution, but it doesn't seem to be something I get to control in Elements. I don't see it in any of my preferences screens :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users