Laptop Display Size 15" Or 17"

Kate Davis

My current laptop has 17" monitor, but after my DH used at the weekend he says I need a new one (and not just because it is stuck together with gaffer tape). He has offered to give me money towards it for Christmas. He has started researching what is available and says there is not a large choice with 17" screens.

His theory is, we have a large monitor in the study where I can connect my laptop if I need a large screen, so I would be better of with a smaller more portable laptop. But at the moment I do most of my computer work on the sofa and I'm not sure what I think about being in the study away from everyone else.

So what screensize do you use for your scrapbooking and how does it work for you?

HI Kate, My laptop is a 17" screen and I prefer my desktop with the larger monitor so I don't scrap on my laptop unless I"m at a meetup. We just got my daughter a new laptop with a 15" inch screen for Christmas. (Shhhhhh!) because she didn't want the weight of the big screen to carry around all day at school and eventually college. I agree though with being with everyone else. My desktop is in the family room so I can happily scrap away while everyone else watches TV.

Honestly, I like my 17 in. I currently work in the living room to keep an eye on all of the kids. If I had a large monitor at my desk, it would block my view and someone would surely knock it over at some point. Best of luck! It's great of your husband to suggest a new laptop. :)

Hi Kate, ooooh you must have been good this year!!! I use 17inch, but have never tried 15 so I can't say. I switched from 22inch desktop to this and I can't say I miss the larger screen... I feel closer on my laptop so it feels bigger lol... How portable do you need it to be? I use mine on my lap and it isn't too heavy... Happy shopping!

I don't use a laptop but I love my 19" screen on the desktop.

I have considered a Mac laptop but I also like to be in the room with everyone else and the TV (yes I can watch & scrap at the same time:))

I also have an ipad but I feel so much more comfortable with the space on my desktop. It's just easier. Did I mention I am in my golden years? Maybe that's the problem!

Hi Kate, I've always scrapped on a 13" inch mac laptop - gives me no trouble at all! It's all in what you are used to. I've never had any trouble. Occasionally if I want to see something closer I will zoom in, but I LOVE the portabilty of my small laptop. Screen size has never been an issue for me. I'd say go for what will be easiest and more usable for you. You'll get used to whatever sized screen you end up with.

My last laptop was 16". I didn't scrap on it, but when I switched to the 13" I never looked back and it caused no problems. Good luck! :)

I scrapped for years on a 15 inch screen and got along fine. The only thing I would say is, you have to think about "realistic size" of your embellishments more when scrapping on a smaller screen, especially if your finished printed project is going to be 12x12 (instead of say 8x8 inches). Some of my 12 x 12 printed pages just looked gigantic to me after seeing them smaller than 8x8 on my screen. You don't want to end up with, say, a 2 inch staple on your page. (lol)

How exciting to be getting a new laptop. I'm not in my 'golden years' yet but I do enjoy my 27" iMac (I have way too many files open at any one time). I know it's not a laptop and it's on my desk but we changed the house around when we started schooling at home mid year and our lounge became the family room with the 'old lounge room' in a spare bedroom. I wish I had done it sooner as we use so much more of the house and together. Anyway, I digress... all that to say I vote for larger screen real-estate. Happy shopping Kate. :)

I have a 19" laptop. If I'm sat on the sofa I use a small table. We went for that one because it was the only one in our price range that would run everything we needed it to.

I do prefer my desktop, but mine is in the living room so I can still keep an eye on everyone while I scrap. I only give it up when the kids have earned the right to play games.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived