New Year, New Books?

Bride

I know its Christmas, but as 2013 dwindles to a close and 2014 looms close at hand, I wondered if any of you make/follow a reading plan for daily devotional? Do you just commit to read scripture? Do you have a favorite devotional? Is there something new you want to learn, discover, explore? What do you like to read for inspiration and change for the mind, body and soul?

I have not gotten mine all pulled together, but one new book I bought on a friend's recommendation is "Your Daily Walk" by Bruce Wilkinson. It is a 365 daily devotions to read through the Bible in a year.

As I said, I have not gotten mine pulled together, but that is my starting point. What's yours??

I have just finished reading "The End of Your Life Book Club" by Will Schwalbe. What an incredible memoir. It is a celebration of reading and books and life. I plan to read some of the titles they did because the author made them sound so wonderful. One of the books mentioned was a daily devotional collection called Daily Thoughts for Daily Needs. It was first published about 75 years ago, but is still in circulation.

I have just read "Confessions of a Prayer Slacker" by Diane Moody. Very very inspirational, witty and motivating! I do believe I have PADD....Prayer Attention Deficit Disorder.....LOL. Am I the only one who when praying seriously all of a sudden I realize I have just decided what to make for dinner the next nite. Seems according to Diane I may not be the only one LOL. I want to work on some of these things in 2014.

No, Carol, you are NOT the only one whose mind wanders while praying! I'm among those ranks as well. One thing I learned from a source I cannot remember now is to have a pad of paper and pen with you so that you can write down the oddities that come into your head while praying. That way you are "worry-focused" on forgetting them. Seems like once you jot them down really quick you can go on about your prayer. I do want to look up that book! Thanks for sharing!

Ann, I just previewed "The End of Your Life Book Club" by Will Schwalbe and it looks good. I do have a son who is an avid reader - never had I thought of talking about what we are reading ... maybe I'll get us both a copy and we can start our own dialog. Thanks for sharing!

If you have not read " when God winks" and "when God winks at you" by Squire Rushnell. Do so!!! Focusing on... there is no such thing as a coincidence.....there is a plan. Lots of stories he has found. He has a web sit and a Facebook page with very interesting stories. Wish I had looked at life like this when I was young.

Carol - when I became a Christian I did learn that there is no such thing as coincidence, only "God-incidences"!! I have heard those titles - will add them to my list of "must reads" this coming year!

Last year I started reading through the Bible chronologically. My Bible app has a reading plan for that, that's gets you through the whole Bible in one year. It's broke down in daily readings. I love it!! I'm almost done! :) I plan to do this again in 2014.

I'm making a note of the other books listed here, so I can look them up!

Thanks for starting this Lei! GREAT subject!

I am going to get The End of Your Life Book Club......looks great. I just joined a book club with my church last Oct and am always looking for books they would enjoy...thanks for sharing!

Blatant excitement here. I don't know if you all know this, but I'm an author of novels with a lot or a little romance. BE MINE THIS CHRISTMAS NIGHT made it to #1, YES, #1 on the Amazon Holiday list and #2 on the Amazon Romance Holiday List.

So...it will be free, as a New Year gift, Friday and Saturday at Amazon. But if you can't make it, it's only $2.99. My Pen Name is L.A. Sartor.

Happy New Year to us all.

Hugs

L

Blatant excitement here. I don't know if you all know this, but I'm an author of novels with a lot or a little romance. BE MINE THIS CHRISTMAS NIGHT made it to #1, YES, #1 on the Amazon Holiday list and #2 on the Amazon Romance Holiday List.

So...it will be free, as a New Year gift, Friday and Saturday at Amazon. But if you can't make it, it's only $2.99. My Pen Name is L.A. Sartor.

Hugs

L

How exciting!! I will look for it....thanks so much for letting us know. One can never have too many books.

I have just finished reading "The End of Your Life Book Club" by Will Schwalbe. What an incredible memoir. It is a celebration of reading and books and life. I plan to read some of the titles they did because the author made them sound so wonderful. One of the books mentioned was a daily devotional collection called Daily Thoughts for Daily Needs. It was first published about 75 years ago, but is still in circulation.

I really loved The End of Your LIfe Book Club!

Another great 2013 read:

God's Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine by Victoria Sweet.

I found these two, among others, on the Barnes & Noble "best of 2012 lists." It's now the best of 2013, and can be found at: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/best-books-of-the-year/379003303. If you have a Nook, or the Nook app, you can download samples of most any book on the list to check it out.

Hugs

L

Picked up your book today and started it....Enjoying it. Thanks so much for letting us know about it!

Hugs

L

Congrats!! I'll have to get your book!

Just got this at our Public Library for my Kindle..........

Hugs

L

Congratulations and thanks for the info, Lesann! :new_year:

Hugs

L

Congratulations and thanks for the info, Lesann! :new_year:

How exciting!

For those of you who are Beth Moore fans, Amazon has 4 of her books FREE for the Kindle. Just type in her name at Amazon, then sort price low to high! Those of you Nook users, BN has 8 of her books FREE!!!

Did I say free Beth Moore books?? RUN!!!!!!

I received "Confessions of a Prayer Slacker" yesterday and am three chapters into it ... LOVE IT!!

She is really witty and easy to relate too....loved it!!! I first read it on my Kindle but bought it in paper back so I could more easily flip through it.

I received "Confessions of a Prayer Slacker" yesterday and am three chapters into it ... LOVE IT!!

She is really witty and easy to relate too....loved it!!! I first read it on my Kindle but bought it in paper back so I could more easily flip through it.

Yes, I find her witty and so easy to relate to as well. The only thing I don't like about kindle/nook is that you can't mark it all up. Yes, I can highlight on my nook, but there is something about penciling thoughts in the margin ... definitely a book you want to have in your hands for notes!

I have a couple bad habits when reading,,,,well, maybe not bad....I am usually reading two or three books at the same time....always did this but especially now when battery life in Nook and Kindle are in play LOL....And I read the ending after I get a feel for the characters and what is going on, Nutz huh....anyone else do this??

I love a new year and thinking about my reading for the coming year. Someone gave me Devotional Classics & Spiritual Classics a few years ago and that is what I'm leaning towards this year. designed I think for one chapter a week.

I read Jesus Calling throughout much of last year. Not sure I'll continue with it but I do like it. I have been doing something for the past few years where I jot down the Scripture from the Sunday message and try to spend a day or so in that through the week. And on the weekends I tend to go towards whatever passage I know the coming Sunday will be about. Gives me more of a connected feeling to my church community.

I also put together a collection of prayers and poems I've written over the past few years and it's on Amazon as well - Taking Dictation. This was a really fun project on many levels.

Oh and last check, I think about 10 of Beth Moore's books are being offered for free on Amazon and a few other sites - until January 10. So snatch them up - what a great opportunity!

Oh, Carol, I always read the end early; sometimes too early and I have no idea where the people in the last chapter came from. Got that from my mom. I have two Kindles - one for color, one lighter weight one for just reading and they go everywhere with me. Nice to meet a sister in literature.

Archived