Glitter And How To Make It Look Like Glitter

Lesann

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to the forum, but have been loving Scrap Girls (as my wallet testifies) for quite a while.

My question is about using glitter...if there are current technique posts, I couldn't find them...so forgive if I'm asking a question that has been asked and answered many times before.

My glitter doesn't look like glitter, it's too light and doesn't sparkle. I have gone into layer styles and sized it, but still it's not dense or sparkly. I have a header on my newsletter for January and wanted fireworks that pop.

Please if you have tips or can point me in a direction to look, I'm very grateful.

Second quick question. I'm an author and would love to have people sign for my newsletter (#1 in Holiday on Amazon this season), is there a way we can ask/tell people this? I did announce my book in "Books"

Thanks so much

Lesann

Sorry, I do need to that bit of info to the question, I'll try and remember that.

I'm using PS CS5. Thanks! (plus I want to add my name in a image to my forum sig and want some bling in that as well)

Hey, I think I've found part of the answer as I've been reading through other posts. One the transparency of the brush has to be higher, like 100%, I had it at 48%, and although I'm creating a png, the brush needs to be in white.

I scaled it down and it looks a lot better. Why satin as a default on the glitter, that sounds counter intuitive. Am I heading in the right direction?

AND how can I save the posts that seem to solve an issue? There is so much info here I want to refer back to.

Hugs

Lesann

AND how can I save the posts that seem to solve an issue? There is so much info here I want to refer back to.

At the top of the thread you'll see a button that says "Follow This Content." Click on this and you'll be subscribed to the thread and get notifications when someone replies with help/comments. Later, you can find a list of all your followed content by clicking on the dropdown box next to your profile name (very top black bar), and choosing "Content You Follow." It will bring up a list of all the forum threads that you are following so you can find them quickly.

You can also email yourself threads by clicking on the little email icon near the bottom of the page. Or bookmark it into your favorite browser.

Hope that helps.

About Satin: "Satin creates two copies of your layer, then offsets and blurs them to produce the final result. You may not be able to picture it, but it is easy to understand once you see it in action." Shiny things are often hard to focus on perfectly, and the Satin effect simulates that. If you're not sure it's useful, click the little arrow below Fx on the layer to see the details of the style listed, then turn off the Satin effect by clicking the EYE symbol next to it. Have fun playing with the different effects.

Some designers (Amanda comes to mind) do a version of their styles for large objects and a version for small objects. That might help too. You might try some different sets of glitter styles too - you'll get slightly different results.

Yeah a lot of my styles I will include settings for large and small items (thanks Gayle!) - because they don't always replicate the same when applying styles to them.

You can make your text, save a flattened version then size down, and sharpen your image and see how that looks as well.

Hi Amanda,

I'll go check out your styles. I didn't realize until I'd bought a bunch that they were different sizes or would work better on small or large...learning...my head is going to explode.

Can you tell me, can I paint with glitter? I have different parts to be different colors. Like when I use a brush (then stamp it) on a page. Parts of that I want to be glitter or foil or whatever.

Happy New Year.

L

Hi Amanda,

I'll go check out your styles. I didn't realize until I'd bought a bunch that they were different sizes or would work better on small or large...learning...my head is going to explode.

Can you tell me, can I paint with glitter? I have different parts to be different colors. Like when I use a brush (then stamp it) on a page. Parts of that I want to be glitter or foil or whatever.

Happy New Year.

L

Hi Lesann, I think April answered your question about painting with glitter here: Post # 22. Is that what you wanted to know?

Archived