Jumpstart January 2014

ValerieT

It's time to kick off the new year with some fun and a focus on scrapbooking! Join us for "Jumpstart January!"

This is a game and challenge that focuses on taking time to scrapbook regularly despite the little "speedbumps" of life. When the month is over you'll have completed several layouts and been treated to some fun along the way.

A Welcoming Committee Member will post a task each Monday through Saturday from January 1-31. The tasks will be formatted in a LARGE PURPLE FONT for ease of locating them in the game thread as it grows. Some tasks will require message board participation or gallery posting. Read each daily task carefully to see what is required of you.

Those who complete all the required tasks and post required participation by 11:59 pm (ET) January 31st will be entered in a drawing to win one of three $10 Gift Certificates to the Scrap Girls Boutique! Those who complete all the layouts will be entered in a drawing to win one of two $5 gift certificates. Each person who completes a layout will be entered – once for each completed challenge page - into a drawing for one of three $3 gift certificates.

A few tips to making this month a successful one!

• Stay on top of the daily tasks. Don't get more than a day or two behind if you can help it!
  • Read the "task requirement" listed with each task so you know how to get credit for completing the task.
  • When you post a task requirement to this thread always remember to label it with "TASK #..." so you get credit for the correct task.
  • After posting a link please check it works.

Here are a couple of tutorials that may be of use to you this month;

How To Post Links In The Forum

How To Upload A Layout To The Gallery

Let's have some scrapping fun!

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy new Year Everyone! here is your first task.

Task 1, January 1st
Are your photos all backed up? Take time to download and back-up all your photos from your memory cards.

Requirement; Briefly share in this thread how you organise your photos.

I plan to join in this month, my scrapbooking definitely needs a Jumpstart!

Task #1

My photos , except Scans, are just sorted by year then month, then date. My scans of old photos are kept in "themed" folders, one for each of the kids, family members that sort of thing.

I use Bridge to find my photos when scrapping, this works for me.

In all the years I have been at SG, I have never participated in this ... I'm going to give it a go this year!

I file my photos by month/year taken. Current year photos have there own separate file and when the year is complete they are filed into one file named for that year. Yearly files are archived together.

Task #1

Whoopee! I was afraid you'd start he month with a "sort your supplies" task - in which case I would have been all month on task #1!

I use PSE Organiser to download and store all my photos. I am quite fastidious about tagging my photos so that I can find them easily. I have separate files within My Pictures for scanned photos, scrap pages, siggies etc. I have one scrap page folder for each year (filed according to the year created rather than event)

This year's scrap page file is already created, called 000000scrap pages 2014 so that it is the first folder in My Pictures. It contains one file - the template for my Project Life diary.

BTW my New Years resolution to not to store so many photos. I am keeping too many sub-standard photos!

I was SOOO hoping for a Jumpstart January this year too, since I really need something to push me back to scrapping!

Task #1:

I had forgotten my iPhone photos but they are also backed up now.

I store all my photos and videos on an EHD. I have folders for decade, subfolders for year and sub-sub folders for day.

Strictly chronologically.

Task 1#

I keep my photo's in order of year/ month/ date.

They are backed up on my external hard dive and on dvd's.

I also store holiday photo's seperately and on dvd's.

I also use Bridge to browse through my photo's.

Nice to be focusing again on my scrapbooking, it's been a busy two months.

Happy scrapping for 2014 everyone :D

Task #1: I sort my photos in in folders by year, then subfolders by even including the date in the title. I back them up on an EHD.

Yeah for January Jumpstart! I'm going to give it a go this year.

Task 1: I download all my photos as soon as I take them if I can. All my cards are empty at the moment with photos filed away in iPhoto by date.

Task 1. I keep my photos organized by year, then a folder for each month within the year folder. I name my photos by date. So for instance, my Christmas photos are named 20131225_Christmas_1 (numbered 1 through however many there are). This way, if I want to search "Christmas" photos, I can type Christmas in my windows search feature and it will bring up all with that in the file name.

My cell phone photos are automatically backed up via Dropbox. This is super handy!! I can then save them to my picture files using the above method.

I keep my photos (and all scrapping supplies) on my ehd. Then take it to my desktop and back up there and to it's ehd...and Carbonite. HOWEVER, that ehd died (I think) about a month ago. I've unplugged it and am going to try it on my laptop....*sigh*...I have a feeling I'll be ordering a new EHD before the day is over.

ALSO-I use SyncToy (microsoft) to back up files. Specifically my business docs. Super handy. It backs up to my EHD...which is currently...well dead.

Wow, is that tmi?? :)

Checking my ehd now. Thanks for the push to do this...I think I've been avoiding it....because I don't want to know the bad results!! (If you hear loud shrieks, never mind...it's probably just me)

Task #1:
I keep my photos in folders by day, named with the date, plus a descriptor if it's from a vacation. Like 2013_0614_Maine. I use Picasa to organize them. It automatically tags everyone's face. Sometimes I add another tag, like "star"-ing my favorites. Although I take some pictures on my cell phone, mostly those are for use-it-now-and-delete stuff, e.g. sharing something on FB or texting a picture to my mom. If there's something I want to keep, I upload it with Dropbox and add it to my regular system. Since in 2013 I did "Project Life" I find I have a lot more days that I took pictures so I may have to group years together in their own folders. Backup once a week or thereabouts to an EHD plus constantly via Carbonite.

Happy New Year!

I use all Apple products so everything is organized by iPhoto. I have a few folders in iPhoto for special photos or events. I also back everything up to an EHD by year and month and it is backed up to CrashPlan.

TASK #1

My photo file folders are organized chronologically by year only. The key to keeping my pics organized within one folder is a good naming convention which I use faithfully when importing from camera(s). My pics are named "YYYYMMDD HHMMSS" (date & time). I import using ACDsee Pro which lets me rename and set metadata (keywords, IPTC, EXIF, etc.) at the time of import. I take thousands of pictures each year and so far this system works well for me.

Task #1 completed. My photos get downloaded to my computer as soon as possible. Usually the same day as I take them. I sort them by year/month/day and then I give it a name: ie:2013 12 31 Esopus Lighthouse and then I might change it around and list it as Esopus Lighthouse 2013 12 31. They get downloaded to PSE12 Organizer and then automatically to my pictures file on my EHD and then backed up on Carbonite.

Task #1

I keep my photos in yearly folders which when downloaded from camera are in daily folders.

I back up these to USB sticks during the year and at the end of the year each yearly folder is backed up to an EHD.

I do have other photos in folders - like scanned photos from older photos they are filed in the theme of what they are. For example, the photos I have scanned from my mother's old albums are in the folder "Photos from Mums old Albums", then I have a folder: "Photos of bus trip in 1975", etc.

Task #1

Love this game! I download photos pretty quickly after I take them. I hVe been trying really hard to weed them out as I download them. They are named by date and event. I usually keep them on my laptop hard drive until I have finished scrapping them and then move them to an EHD. On my EHD there is a folder for each year for the past 10 years (can't believe I have been digital for that long). On my EHD I also have various folders for scanned photos, eg heritage ( with a bunch of sub folders under that); various family members etc. I also backup with Backblaze.

Task 1.

As soon as possible after I take photos, I upload them to my Mac, which is backed up by Carbonite. iPhoto does a great job of sorting them by date/time (as long as I keep the camera settings current). Also can sort into events, which I usually do. Occasionally I make specific albums in iPhoto for vacations or special events.

I also upload many of them to my iPad as an additional backup.

About once a year, my husband copies my photos and puts them on his computer at work, which is also backed up.

Like Hilary, I've found I keep too many sub-standard photos and I'm making a consistent effort to delete the lesser quality ones.

I'm also doing lots of scans of photos we took in the 1980's and 1990's. As I save the scans I'm naming them by subject and date and sorting them in folders. It's interesting that it seems like we took a lot of photos that don't have much meaning to us 25 years later, and at the same time there are some events where we totally neglected to even take one photo.

Task #1 - My photos are all downloaded and backed up. I file them in folders by the year, then break them down into folders by themes such as family gatherings, Christmas, Easter, family photos, etc. I have Carbonite for back-up and also keep a copy of my photos on an EHD in addition to the hard drive on my desktop.

Hooray for Jumpstart January! I really need it.

Task #1 complete!

I usually get pics downloaded pretty quickly - within a couple of days.

I organize photos in folders by year, month, date and event. For example 2013-09-06 On the Beach

Then I have a few folders of scanned items by themes. These are older items that I may not have a date for, like the pics of me and my brothers as little kids that Mom sent last year.

I still have many boxes of photos from the years before we had digital cameras that need to be scanned. This is my goal for this year. I just want to get them all scanned. I'm hoping a few minutes a day will do it. Luckily they are pretty well sorted and dated.

Task # 1 done.

I store photos on EHDs, one is a backup. Most are also on DVDs. I do have yearly folders, but mostly use event or occasions as titles. I'm scanning older photos of my children, and use their names, and dates. I may decide on a better way as I get more scanned. I do download photos from cards to the EHD usually within a day or so. My children have DVDs of all family photos.

I certainly need a jump start to organise myself!

My photos are downloaded regularly and are filed in year/month order. I use Bridge to find them when scrapping.

All my files are backed up to EHD and automatically to Livedrive

Are you ready for your second task?

Task 2, January 2nd
Using your most recent photo(s) start a new layout.

Requirement; Share the theme of your photos in this thread.

Task #2

I am going to use a photo I took on Christmas day of Lauren, Matty and Kiahna in festive jumpers. Ben is not in the photo because he wouldn't keep his jumper on!

Task 2

I have decided to participate in one of the photo a day project. My goal is not really to take a photo every day but to use the prompts to help me take more varied pictures. I have taken a photo every day so far this year (LOL) so I will use those pictures.

I haven't joined this thread in previous years, and just saw it this morning. I think I'll give it a try.

Task #1: photos are all backed up!

I use iPhoto on my Mac, so pictures are automatically sorted by date. I've downloaded all the photos on my phone, the few on my cell phone, quite a few of DH's and DD's photos from DVD or Facebook, and all are in iPhoto.

Since I have Time Machine, the iPhoto library gets backed up automatically, every hour. At the end of each year, I start a new library for new photos - that's one of today's tasks for me - and I burn the last year's library to DVD.

Task#2: I will use photos of our Christmas cookie baking tradition.

Task #1 - Download your photos from [all] your memory cards - DONE!

I love organizing my photos because it makes it much easier to find them when I need them. I have a folder system set up like this:

- Year (2013)

- Month Day Description (11 15 Lunch with Friends)

- edits

- originals

Then I load everything into the "originals" folder when I'm downloading (separating into the different categories when there is more than one group on my memory card) and when I edit the photo, I save it into the "edits" folder. That way if I ever want to come back and do a different edit on a photo, I still have the originals to work with. Most of the time I don't, haha, but there have been times when I've learned a new photo editing process or downloaded a new action and I wanted to try it on an older photo, and I was glad that I had the originals.

I love the idea of doing these challenges, it's going to get my scrapping mojo up and running! :)

Archived