Jumpstart January 2014

ValerieT

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since my main pc is in the shop, and I don't have ps on this laptop - will have to wait to get a page scrapped with my recent photos. I feel like my hands are tied behind my back!!

Task #1

I store my photos and scrap supplies on a portable EHD connected to my laptop. I sort my photos into folders by year, and subfolder by event. I name the subfolders by the convention YYMMDD_Subject. I keep an archive file with all my photos, and a separate folder called "My Photos to Scrap." After I've scrapped a file, I can get rid of the folder, as the photos are already archived. I back up my photos on the big EHD connected to our family desk top.

Like Conda mentioned, the portable EHD do take some wear and tear with daily use. I routinely replace mine every couple of years. While the memory remains in tact, it is the connection that start to fail. Yesterday I purchased a new EHD, and retired my old one. When I retire an EHD, I back up my photo and layout files onto it, then send it with my husband to work. He stashes it in a drawer at the office for additional safety.

To back up my scrap supplies, I keep the zipped files on the big EHD on the desktop.

I had fun with this last year so I'm keen to participate this year.

Task 1

All our photos are stored on a desktop computer with two hard drives acting as a RAID. This is a library of images which my husband and I can both access and we don't edit the pictures, if we want to work on them then we take copies on to our own laptops. The pictures are stories in folders for each year and then folders for each event with a number prefix to keep them in the chronological order. We rename our pictures as well so if they are moved out of the folder we know where the belong. The file name includes the year, month and event title, plus if they are copies of someone else's pictures their initials.

I try and download pictures once a week. I also try and download my husbands when I realise he hasn't done his. I have just downloaded all my Christmas pictures, but haven't renamed or sorted them yet.

Task 2

The children opening presents with my family on 29th December.

I have some nice photos that I took yesterday on a river hike. If starting a layout means selecting photos...I'm done with task 2! Just to make it official, I'll put them on a blank document and do some photo editing.

Task 1: I am pretty good at getting my photos from the camera onto my computer. I organise with PSE organiser. Pretty easy. I backup to two EHD's. I always start the year up to date thanks to Jumpstart January.

Task 2: I will be using some of the photos from Henry's 71 birthday on January 2.

I don't think I'm going to be very popular today I think I might stay behind my sofa :shycouch:

Task Three, January 3rd
Use the numbers 2, 0, 1 and 4 somewhere in your layout. You could use two papers, the number 0 instead of the letter o, one ribbon and four flowers. Just use your imagination.

Requirement; Share in this thread how you used the numbers.

I normally cheat and have my layout all finished and ready to go but not this time. I only remembered this morning what I put as today's task so I've got my thinking cap on, I'll be back later when I decide what to do.

I couldn't decide on what to do, in the end I settled on this.

Task #3 I used 2 papers, the number 0 in a small cluster (as an embellishment), 1 pre-made border and 4 flowers in the small cluster.

I could really use a jumpstart, I'm just afraid I won't have the time. So, I've decided to give it a go and not hate myself if I miss some of the tasks. I'm already a bit behind but I'm off to download and backup my photos!

Good for you, Brenda! I know I'm behind already, too. I doubt I'll get to this until next week when the kids go back to school.

Whee! I finished two pages in response to the prompts. However, they're not my most recent photos - those I took this morning, through the window by my desk, of deer nibbling on a tree & bushes covered with snow. And I think I really stretched the number concept. So I think I'll try again, with today's pictures.

Task 3 LO

1 bow; 2 cookies (and peppermints and papers); 4 glittered edges; lots of circles - can those count as zeros?

ok we are going to give this a go. I always get some cool layouts from the tasks.

Task 1: I use dropbox to download my photos. Back them up with memory manager, a EHD and my husbands set up a internet back up on my computer too. So they are safe. I usually organize them according to year and month..

Task 2: my latest photos are of my kids decorating Christmas cookies

Task 1: All my pictures have been downloaded. I organize them by year, then in subfolders by month. I back up my files to an external hard drive.

Task 2: I am using pictures from our recent trip to northern Ca. This layout will be from the boardwalk in Santa Cruz.

Task 3: I am still working on... will update soon

Task 4, January 4th
Finish your layout and upload it to the Jumpstart January Gallery.

Requirement; Share a link to your layout in this thread. Please test your link after you post it.

Remember; there will be no Task tomorrow (Sunday), Marilyn will be back on Monday with your next task.

Archived