Upgrading To Pse12 From Pse7

sanot

PSE 7 was the first program I used when I started digi scrapping....I decided to upgrade this year, and am nervous about the transition. i have installed PSE 12 but don't automatically see my previous styles and actions. I have not yet uninstalled PSE7. Frankly I'm afraid I may lose something. The info in the booklet doesn't really address upgrading from a previous program, so I'm hesitant to do too much.

Can any of you computer savvy ladies (or gents) please point me in the right direction? It's been so long since I even purchased a style or action that I'm not sure I know where they're at or where to put them.

I have PSE 11 but I think the styles and actions are installed the same way and it is so much easier than it used to be. You do have to know where they are though because you go to the folder to get them from within the editor. To install a style When you are is the Editor go to the effects panel and click Styles. Then Click on the little icon at the top right that has the down arrow. A drop down menu will open. Click on Load Styles and go to the file that has your styles. Go all the way to the .asl file, click on it and click load. Really easy. You can do actions the same way. I don't think they load automatically. At least mine didn't.

Thank you Karen. I also googled it prior to your post and found some help.

I also read a suggestion to NOT uninstall PSE 7 in case I want to use some of the features that they took out like magic extractor? Do you all keep your earlier versions? What do you use them for?

Hi Amy, I use PSE12 and as I've updated from PSE5 on up, I've always uninstalled the older version. As a matter of fact, they suggest that you do. You can't have both versions open at the same time and PSE eats up so much memory, even when you are not using it, it starts to slow down you computer. However, I still have PSE11 on my laptop, but I will install 12 when I get a minute. I'm not familiar with the magic extractor, so I'm of no help to you there. I'm sure one of our expert PSE users will be able to help.

okay, another general question about PSE 12. When I have more than one image open from the project bin they only show up one at a time. I see under "Window" then "Images" there is a fly out arrow that shows various options for how to display them (tile, cascade, float in window, etc) but none of them are bolded and I cannot select them. This makes it very difficult to drag a paper or embellishment from one file to the next.

Hi Amy,

I don't have PSE 12, but in PSE 11 or 9 you would need to go to Edit>Preferences>General (shortcut is CTRL+K), and be sure the box for "Allow Floating Documents in Expert Mode" is checked. Then when you go back to your workspace and click Window>Images, the options should be available. Let us know if this helps.

Amy, Like Carol said, I have always uninstalled earlier versions also. I don't remember the magic extractor so sorry but I can't help you there. There will be a learning curve of course, but once you get used to it you will love it!

Amy I just did all this this week also! At the bottom of the layers palette area is a section that says more and you pull that out and customise, this will allow you to 'float' a palette... you can no longer stack them above each other like we used to do. A bit annoying but what I do is have my favourites docked and float my layers palette next to it so I can see both at the same time. I have plenty of desk space so it isn't an issue. Theresa is right about floating windows too, this took me a while to figure out but it works! To get all your original styles etc back just copy them into the equivalent PSE12 folder rather than 7... brushes etc are ok as they are in an Adobe folder not a specific 7 or 12 folder... they will all load right back in then! You have to reset your favourites but that is a small price. Bringing new ones in is as described, but if you have lots like me and are used to seeing them ALL, just copy them all into 12. Let me know if you get stuck :-)

Archived