Sudden Focus Problem, Lens Broken? Help!

scrap_horse

Figured it out! (see post below)

I have a Canon DSLR with a 28-135mm lens. I was just today taking close-up photos (of my jewelry I sell) when the trouble started. All was fine, I was using manual focus, set it on the nearest focus setting, which allows me to get close enough to my jewelry to take good close-up photos. But between one photo and the next, suddenly I can't focus that close, I have to move way out for the item to be in focus on the nearest setting (which is useless for what I'm doing). Unless I bumped something mysterious, I didn't change anything. (I was using it on M-manual program) When I switch it to auto focus, it also cannot focus as close as it did previously. I'm wondering if this is possibly a broken focusing mechanism inside the lens? And if so, can it be repaired (and is it worth it)? Unfortunately it looks like the nearest camera repair shop is over an hour away, so I'd have to send it off somewhere (where?). I bought the camera and lens lightly used over a year ago, and am not aware of any warranty that would cover it.

This is my "good" camera I use for all my photos (that I don't take with my phone), so I need to figure out what's wrong. Anyone have a clue?

I'm a Nikon girl, myself, but do you have an easy-access macro button on the camera body somewhere? If your camera can focus on regular-distance objects, but just not close-up ones, I would think that the lens is fine. However, if the camera is not set to macro, then your camera will tell you that objects are too close. Might be you inadvertently hit a button to change this setting. I'd check before investing money in diagnostics and repairs! :)

HTH!

Crisis averted! You're going to laugh... Talk about a total brain fart!! To get the close-up pix, I zoom in almost all the way and *then* the nearest focus distance works for small close-up things (instead of just moving in closer physically). I guess I've always done it instinctively, because I think I bumped the lens lightly when I was adjusting the piece of jewelry and it pushed the lens in (so it wasn't zoomed anymore, it moves in really easily) and I could not for the life of me figure out what happened! Duh!!! Can't believe it was something that stupid, but since I don't have to buy or repair a lens after all, I can handle feeling dumb.

Thanks for the reply, as it did get me looking at my camera once again and messing with it, and figured it out. Not like I haven't been using it for over a year... :hit-head-with-hammer:

Archived