Monday Challenge: January 13, 2014

MariJ

Wow… I am still in awe of the enthusiastic response and creatively beautiful layouts resulting from last week's challenge. The Monday Gallery looks like a Digital Impressionist Painting Museum!

This week I thought we'd venture over into "Altered Art". What IS Altered Art? About.com says it's a recycling craft and the taking of an ordinary household object and decorating and embellishing it to create a work of art. The focus of this art form is usually in the items used for embellishing and called "found objects" or "ephemera". Still with me? Ephemera is defined as anything designed to be useful or important only for a short time, like pamphlets, tickets, notices, etc.; while found objects can be charms, buttons, ribbons, beads or any "ordinary" object found in your closet or junk drawer. Costume jewelry, lost puzzle or game pieces and keys are also considered found objects.

In Altered Art, household items such as old books, candy tins, frames, cigar boxes or any other knick-knacks are ALTERED collage-style using found objects or ephemera. Often these pieces are very "different" or artsy looking and many non-digital Art Journaling pages or books are done in this Altered Art style.

So, how do we translate that into digital scrapping? There are a few simple ways we can focus on today. One is to create a layout that looks like an Altered Art scrapbook page, using ephemera or found objects. These can be real ones you scanned or digital ones from your stash. An example would be to scrap something like the tickets and program to a concert you recently attended.

Another way to create Altered Art is using your photo editing program's "tricks" and "decorating" your pic! How else could you add a crown or wand to a photo of a little girl or maybe yourself! Or put glittery earrings on your daughter?

Next you can change/alter a photo of a person, object or even your pet! Have you always wanted purple hair? PhotoShop can DO it! It can even put your cat's head on your puppy!

Lastly, you can extract yourself, a person or even an object from a photo and put it into another background. All of these are forms of "Altered Art".

So for today, I challenge you to create an "Altered Art" layout. Have fun! When you are finished, please post your completed page in the Monday Challenge Gallery. I can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

Here's my layout: "All Lit Up!"

Jode and Florida Granny will be uploading layouts for other examples. Thanks Jody and Diane! :)

Wow Marilyn - what a creative challenge! I love looking at 'real life' altered art pieces, so I shall put my thinking cap on whilst I build a train track this afternoon (it's wet so Jamie and I are at home!) and come back to you later......

Finally - after computer mishaps I've gotten this layout finished. It was definitely a challenge Marilyn and forced me to think outside the box somewhat, but I think I've got there in my own small way. Thanks for stretching my grey matter again this week Marilyn!

http://scrapgirls.net/forum/gallery/image/148131-altered-art-130114/

Love the Monday Challenges, sadly I don't get to them until the weekend... I've done two

Send in the Clowns

The Gallileo Affair

No problem, Eden! I rarely do a challenge on the same day myself and my motto always is until the next Monday Challenge rolls around, I'm not "late". Actually, no layout is ever late on SGs (unless it's a contest with a deadline!).

I've so been enjoying your creations! :)

Archived