Coloring Styles Template 6301 Burlap Black

nckarter

I just bought styles template (gray) 6301 burlap. The only way I know how to color it is to open a layer, color it and then click on the 6301 burlap style. This works for every color except black. It turns out gray.

Can someone tell me how to get black burlap from this style?

Hi nckarter! In Photoshop you should be able to open up the effects you applied to the layer by clicking the small triangle next to the fx on the layer. Look for the Pattern Overlay and lower the opacity to the shade you want and you still be able to keep the burlap look to the layer.

That is how styles are supposed to work - just select the layer and click . They're easy, but sometimes you don't get quite the results you're looking for.

I usually adjust things in the layer style menu, but that is only an option in Photoshop.

If you are using PSE, simplify the style and then change the levels (Control+L) where you can adjust the sliders until you get it darker. I would think you need to bring the mid-tones (middle slider) down, but I haven't tried it with that style. I usually just play with them until I get what I'm looking for. If you still have trouble, let us know.

I should have put in I'm using PSE8. April your suggestion worked although it isn't ideal. Thanks. I don't use keyboard shortcuts. Can you tell me how to find the levels with a mouse instead of Ctrl+L?

I use PSE 11, but it should be the same or very similar for PSE 8: Go to the menu bar and click Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Levels.

Thanks for the path Theresa.

I would have given it along with the shortcut, but I use Photoshop and the way to get a levels adjustment is different than in PSE. The shortcuts are usually the same.

Yep, Ctrl+L in PSE :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In addition to the information April gave you, here's an older, but still helpful list that was posted by Belle: Shortcuts Cheat Sheet HTH

NOTE: In PSE version 11 Adobe changed the shortcut for the Magic Wand from "W" to "A", and "W" is now for the Recompose Tool.

Archived