I tried following the directions, but I'm confused. I have three layers: 1)light paper, 2)dark paper, 3)lighting effects template. You then say to select the layer with the template and copy. Are you making a duplicate layer of the lighting effects template? Alt-click doesn't do anything. Nothing disappears and I have no blank page.
Can you explain this a little better. I'm obviously missing something here.
OK, let's see.
I have three layers. Dark paper on the bottom. Light paper in the middle. Lighting effects template at the top. Through all of the following, I have the list of Layers visible and that's what I'm working on.
- I click on the Lighting effects template layer to make it active, then ctrl-click on the little picture of the paper in the layers list to select the entire layer, then ctrl-C to copy it.
- Then I click on the Light paper layer to make it active, and I add a layer mask by clicking on the layer mask icon (little blue square with gray circle inside.)
- I alt-click on the new layer mask (the white square that has appeared to the right of the picture of the Light paper in the list of Layers.) That's when the screen with the paper turns white.
- I use Ctrl-V to copy the template. It appears on the main screen and in the layer mask picture in the list of Layers.
- Finally I hide or delete the Lighting effects layer. (I suspect I could have simply copied this layer from the original paper and not add it to my document, just to delete it later, but I didn't try that.)
What I end up with is the dark paper lightened up by the light paper in the areas that are white/light on the template, but the original dark color where the template is black/dark. I hope this is clear enough! I probably don't have the right vocabulary to call all the menus, palettes and icons by the right names.