Using Scrap Girls Life Journal Books

bcaplen

I am using one of the life journal books to write a story on my layout. I am using the one with the spirals in the middle and each page is two toned--out edge shows as white and inside area (where you actually

journal is a parchment gray color (SS Paper Templates Life Journals Lined). There are no individual layers in these books. How do I color--actually I just want to kind of shade around the outer edges in a light color--and change the existing gray parchment

color to a lighter tan or something. I have seen these books on other layouts and they have been changed. How do you do it without individual layers? I have tried my hand at it, but I am not that expert at CS4 yet,

so surely there is a better way, an easier way, a right way?

You could try (on a copy -- NOT the original) to fill it with a color and then go to your styles palette (Click the fx along the bottom of your layers palette.) Select 'inner glow' and then select a color that you would like to darken the edges with. Change the blend mode to 'Dissolve' and then adjust the 'Noise' and 'Size' sliders to your liking. If this template is lined, when you fill it make sure your paint bucket is over the paper area, not the line area, or it will fill the lines with color instead of your paper.

HTH!

And if this isn't the look you're going for, or if you have other questions, please let us know. If I can't help you, I'm sure someone else can! :)

First, if you haven't looked through 1 Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook (Free ScrapSimple basics eBook) there are a lot of tips for using different kinds of templates.

My favorite way to add color to a template is with a layer style. There is a tutorial in this newsletter, but there a lots of ways to add color to a template.

To get the edges darker, you can use a soft or grungy brush (depending on the look you want) and brush on a layer above your paper. You can use a clipping mask so that none of the brush work goes off the edges of the paper below. I play with the opacity and blending mode of the brush layer until I get the look I want.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Have you tried the Magic Wand tool? Change your foreground color chip to the approximate color you want the cover to be, get the Magic Wand tool and click on the cover, then go to Enhance>Adjust Color>Adjust Hue/Saturation (CTRL+U). Now click the colorize box and play with the sliders until the cover is the shade you want. Click CTRL+D to deselect the marching the ants. Repeat the process for the pages. HTH :)

I only have the pre-colored version of that product. I am assuming that paper doesn't come with separate layers. This is one way you can create them.

• Choose the Polygonal Lasso tool Screenshot 2014-01-20 08.53.15.png
  • Use the Polygonal Lasso to select the paper layer. The edges aren't exactly straight, so I moved the mouse as far as the edge was straight, clicked and continued like that until I had clicked all the way around the inner paper. (If you click wrong, the backspace will take you back to the previous click).
  • The paper area will be selected when you get back to the starting point. Select_PolygonalLasso_ss.jpg
  • Use the shortcut CTRL+J to copy your selection to a new layer. I did this for each side of the paper. (Make sure you have to original paper layer active again when you do the second page or you will get a message about no pixels being selected).
  • Now you will have the paper in three layers that you can color individually with your favorite method.
  • Here is a sample of the colored paper. Colored_LifeJournals_SS.jpg

The newer ScrapSimple products usually come with individual layers and a psd file for things like this which makes them a lot easier to color.

Have you tried the Magic Wand tool? Change your foreground color chip to the approximate color you want the cover to be, get the Magic Wand tool and click on the cover, then go to Enhance>Adjust Color>Adjust Hue/Saturation (CTRL+U). Now click the colorize box and play with the sliders until the cover is the shade you want. Click CTRL+D to deselect the marching the ants. Repeat the process for the pages. HTH :)

While the shortcut (CTRL+U) is the same in both versions, that is the PSE path. In Photoshop it is Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation.

While the shortcut (CTRL+U) is the same in both versions, that is the PSE path. In Photoshop it is Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation.

Sorry April, I forgot bcaplen is using CS4. Thanks for catching that. ;)

Admin---Thanks so much...I followed your directions and it worked beautifully. I have so much still to learn in Photoshop. One more thing....the original is grey in color but shows to be like a parchment paper. When I color mine (after

using the lasso tool and making a new layer), how do I get it to have that parchment look still?

Admin---Thanks so much...I followed your directions and it worked beautifully. I have so much still to learn in Photoshop. One more thing....the original is grey in color but shows to be like a parchment paper. When I color mine (after

using the lasso tool and making a new layer), how do I get it to have that parchment look still?

Sorry I missed this earlier!

It should still have the parchment look when you put it on a new layer. If you are coloring the paper with a color overlay, you will need to change the blending mode of the color layer. The "overlay" mode usually gives good results.

If you have used a hue/saturation adjustment to change the color, the paper should retain its parchment look.

Archived