Hi Everyone! And Help! :-)

Lanie

For the last few weeks, I have been scanning all my photo albums, page for page and we have quite a few to say the least. (not only is my greatest fear a fire that would take all the memories, but also I would like to give each of my four grown boys a copy.) Last night it came to me, that once they are all scanned I could make virtual scrapbooks, which would look so much better then the scanned pages of an old photo album.

So having never done this I was overwelmed by the amount of sofware available! And thats how I ended up here. So my question is for a beginner what is the best software, editing as well as scrapbooking you all would recommend?

Thanks for any help I can get!

Madelen

Hi Madelen and welcome to ScrapGIrls! Glad you found us and I'm sure there will be a lot of different answers to your question, depending on what others use.

I use an older version of PhotoShop Elements to scrap and I love it. So much so, I've been hesitant to upgrade! I found the program easy to start with and use and it's served my purposes very well.

I know others will come along to add on, but whatever program you do decide on, there are always kind and willing scrappers here to help when you have a question! :)

Thanks MariJ, I am excited! Can hardly wait to see the answers and start this! I did look at that one, I take it one buys different Kits for new borders, back grounds and such? Or can those things be found online? Like I said I have never done this before.

Hi Lanie, welcome to Scrap Girls!

Like Marilyn (MariJ), I use Photoshop Elements. I've been using PSE since version 4 and I currently use version 11. It's a wonderful program. You could always download the free trial to try it out.

There is also a great new class program available in our boutique that you may want to consider: Learn Digital Scrapbooking Using Photoshop Elements. It includes everything needed to learn all about digital scrapbooking with Photoshop Elements, and includes 61 videos, step-by-step written manuals, two digital scrapbooking kits, templates, graphics, and other goodies. Some actions, styles, and brushes are also included.

Here are links to a few free items in our boutique that you would definitely want:

15 Things You NEED to Know to Become a GREAT Digital Scrapbooker (FREE Starter eBook)

Scrap Girls A Narrative Collection

Scrap Girls Exuberance Collection

Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook (Free ScrapSimple basics eBook)

As Marilyn and Carla mentioned, don't hesitate to ask questions. We are a very friendly bunch and we love to help. We'll be looking forward to seeing you around the forum and getting to know you. :)

Welcome to Scrap Girls! You've already gotten some great advice. You'll want to sign up for the newsletter too, if you haven't already.

There are lots of different types of collections available in the Scrap Girls boutique. You can use the papers and embellishments as many times as you'd like in digital, so you may want to choose a few collections that go with the style of album you want and the type of photos you'll be using.

Though most of the pages you'll see in our newsletter and gallery may be "fancy" you certainly don't have to use a lot of stuff to make a meaningful scrapbook.

Welcome Lanie.You have been given the best all around information for software and teaching. I love Photoshop Elements 11 and probably won't upgrade, but earlier versions are nearly the same. The free items mentioned are truly good, and Linda is a great teacher in the Learn Digital Scrapbooking classes.

There are sales in the Boutique (store) quite often. Also some of our scrapgirls, like Brandy, has tutorials on you tube or in the Scrapgirl Blog.

I'm half way through scanning my photos so I know what a job it is.

Welcome to Scrap Girls! Like MariJ, I am still using an older version of Photoshop Elements because I'm comfortable with it. I have PSE9.

Great advice all around, but check out the Boutique for a couple of free kits to get you started.

http://store.scrapgirls.com/1-scrap-girls-exuberance-collection-p27845.php

http://store.scrapgirls.com/1-scrap-girls-a-narrative-collection-p22444.php

Hi Lanie, I agree with all the above! I recently upgraded from PSE7 to 12 and there are a few new things in it I can do that I couldn't before. the biggest thing I would say though is go for PS10 or later as it has inbuilt layer masks - you may not appreciate it yet but you will... and please do not be intimidated by what you see, there are lots of different ways to scrap and everyone has started at the beginning - keep trying new things and you will be hooked in no time!

We look forward to seeing what you create, don't be shy, we are a very caring group and we love to admire each others pages!

Welcome to Scrap Girls Lanie. I started scrapping using PSE5, which I loved, and I have just recently upgraded to PSE12. Like everyone else here at SG, I started at the beginning and I'm still learning new things everyday. Everyone here is so helpful and you can never ask enough questions. There is always someone, or many someones, who will come along and help you. Don't be shy, just ask. Looking forward to seeing your layouts in the gallery.

Welcome to Scrap Girls. If you use Phtoshop Elements you get quite a few frames and backgrounds that you can use. Also with all the freebies from SG you will have quite a collection to start off with. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Wow! So much great advice! I am going to start with that free trail download, at this point it all seems so overwelming! Glad I found this forum, love that it is so active. When I was looking most forums had maybe four coments made in the last few months, figured, I needed a busy one because I know I will have tons and tons of questions! Thanks all and I will bring all questions to you as I wade into beginning digital scrapbooking! So excited!!!

Great idea Lanie. We've all been overwhelmed at one point or another - I still get that way! But you're correct there are lots of helpful scrappers here and you are wise to take one step at a time. Good luck and keep us informed on how you are making out. :)

Welcome to Scrap Girls! We're so glad you found us! Don't hesitate to ask questions. Others out there will be wondering the same thing, and they'll all be glad you asked.

The Scrap Girls Blog is full of great tutorials, too, so don't miss out on that resource.

I'm another long time PSE user - I stared with PSE2, and I just got PSE12.

One thing about not going overboard with extras in scrapping - your page won't look dated in a couple of years. There's a lot to be said with sticking with the classics. If you browse our galleries for inspiration, you'll find a style or two that appeals to you. The main thing is to have fun with it. It's not a job. If you get frustrated, take a break.

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Archived